• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

31 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Truthfully I'd rather TN just be irrelevant. Both in football and basketball losing every game that matters. SMH let's just suck again to not waste my time. 

Fair enough. I am the opposite. I don't follow basketball much, aside from the odd game, but in football, I would much rather be competitive and relevant, even if we don't always win the big ones. For me it's nice going into games knowing we at least stand a chance. Heupel has been great at UT. Excited for the Nico era! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Fair enough. I am the opposite. I don't follow basketball much, aside from the odd game, but in football, I would much rather be competitive and relevant, even if we don't always win the big ones. For me it's nice going into games knowing we at least stand a chance. Heupel has been great at UT. Excited for the Nico era! 

I'm just angry right now lol. Nico has a MUCH higher ceiling than Milton ever did. We should be competing at a high level again next season. 12 team playoff actually makes post season interesting.

I'm just angry right now lol. Nico has a MUCH higher ceiling than Milton ever did. We should be competing at a high level again next season. 12 team playoff actually makes post season interesting.

We still lost tonight and I guess it doesn’t matter but the last several years we would have lost by 20 tonight. Losing happens especially on the road but this team has great leadership and much more talent since Grant and Admiral. 3 players scored 64 of our 72pts. Gotta have someone off the bench give you 10 a game. Awaka had 4 and that’s all the bench scoring. That’s got to change

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, PowellVolz said:

Bring it….

b58dd9458fa36162357f3cd226c4f867.png
fdc907bf4a50ca58b7ebedf50393dba6.jpg

Wow! My girlfriend has a video from this event on video. She lived in Morgan County, TN and the snow looked super deep. It looked like nearly 2 feet on the ground honestly. I was shocked when I saw the video because I didn't remember such a big storm around then but it looked like at least as much snow as was on her March 93 blizzard video. Thanks for sharing this graphic so now I can have a visual reference for this event.

We uploaded a couple of the videos to YouTube unlisted so her family could view, but if someone wants to see them I could see if she'd let me share them. If not then I could share a screenshot at least. The Feb 1996 one I didn't upload though so I'll have to get the tape back from her.

• Like 2

I hope this is readable but a good county by county recap of this storm. @John1122 you may be interested in this. Using my newspapers.com account I can probably find other major snow event recaps in the area with dates (if they're in the Knoxville paper)

Here is the link if this is unreadable: https://pasteboard.co/RxK2yAe9BnVn.jpg

RxK2yAe9BnVn.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It never fails. I step out for a while, then finally get a chance to catch up on all the posts while I’ve been away. Reading the posts…..things keep looking better and better and better. My hopes go up. My enthusiasm is through the roof. Then as I’m catching up and getting towards the end of the comments - there’s a model run (Euro) that makes the doubt and fear come roaring back. So here I sit…..worried and pissed until we get more data and trends. It sucks being a snow lover in the south.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shocker0 said:

I hope this is readable but a good county by county recap of this storm. @John1122 you may be interested in this. Using my newspapers.com account I can probably find other major snow event recaps in the area with dates (if they're in the Knoxville paper)

Here is the link if this is unreadable: https://pasteboard.co/RxK2yAe9BnVn.jpg

RxK2yAe9BnVn.jpg

I've still got several papers from 1996! The "missing" and under reported snowfall amounts from that storm are legendary. To me, it ranks alongside the Blizzard of 1993 for local impacts. It was much worse than the blizzard on a state wide scale because it was a major winter storm for everyone. The Blizzard of '93 really cut off to a normal event beyond about Cookeville. 

That report is waaaaaaaay off here. The 911 director at that time who submitted those reports to papers, quite literally didn't understand how to measure things. The same person reported that 10 inches fell during the Blizzard of 1993. Snowfall totals here were 16-18 inches. 16-20+ in Anderson and Union. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

I've still got several papers from 1996! The "missing" and under reported snowfall amounts from that storm are legendary. To me, it ranks alongside the Blizzard of 1993 for local impacts. It was much worse than the blizzard on a state wide scale because it was a major winter storm for everyone. The Blizzard of '93 really cut off to a normal event beyond about Cookeville. 

That report is waaaaaaaay off here. The 911 director at that time who submitted those reports to papers, quite literally didn't understand how to measure things. The same person reported that 10 inches fell during the Blizzard of 1993. Snowfall totals here were 16-18 inches. 16-20+ in Anderson and Union. 

Same goes for here John. They listed Pennington gap with just 8 inches for the Jan. '96 Storm. I lived in downtown Pennington then and measured 13 inches while parts of the corporate limits had up to 16" and elevated areas of the County 18-24" with more mountain tops.

The Feb. Storm produced 10" in downtown Pennington gap. I think that one is missing in the " official" Records along with several other Snowfalls that Winter. 

I totalled 52" in downtown Pennington for the Season. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Tennessee is ranked above Kansas this week! KU has played a couple dreadful road games. Tennessee really handled Alabama. Yeah it was at home, but the Vols would have smoked them on the road playing that well. Kentucky shows some high-power offense like we have not seen in a few years. Defense is TBD. Auburn could also make a statement in the SEC.

Some of the best weeks of the year are upon us. Time to dig into the heart of college conference basketball season!

• Like 2

So, I saw this posted from Archives of Kingsport Facebook page. Winter of 1936 saw two huge snows just a few weeks apart, early February and mid March! Here are the newspaper copies they posted for those two events. Interesting references to some incredible snow totals around the area, and to the issue of phone lines still working.  Also some pictures in their post.

archives of the city of kingsport - Search Results | Facebook

May be an image of map and text that says 'KINGSPORT THE CITY INDUSTRY The FULL EASED ASSOCIATED PRESS Kingsport Times EIGHTPAGETODAY PRICE FIVE HUNDRED Fess May 'Take Walk' STRIKE CALLED' HIGHWAY AND RAIL TRAFFIC SLOWED MILLION ASKED If Borah Nominated NORMAL AGAIN BY SNOW; CITY Sea SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED TAXES Former FOR SMALL BOATS IN OHIO RIVER ICE eae 8Inche Offiial City CLEAR HIGHWAYS COUNT COVADONGA CRTCALLY FRIENDLY BEACON Violations CONVICTS ESCAPE Causedby Snow KENTUCKY PRISON STARS WARD SOLONS SOCIAL DEFENSE EXPANDS ALIBI KILLING TESTIMONY DIFFERS OPPOSITION ANSWER PRISON GANG PRISONER SEEK FEDERAL MONEY FOR'

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'CITY INDUSTRY ASSOCIATED PRESS FULT LEASED WIRE The Kingsport Times MFMBERA.B.C PAGE E FLOOD SWEEP NORTH; MANY KILLED DEEP SNOW COVERS EAST GERMANY WILL HELPS COUNSEL SEEKS' PENNSYLV HARDEST HIT; CONDEMNED DODGE TESTS INDICTMENTS TENNESSEE; TELEPHONES SCHEME JOHNSTOWN UNDER WATER AND BUSSES PARALIZED AHOY! SENDS OUT .S. Ûid 30-Hour Ûu VENIZELOS DRIFTS 'VERDICT' SINCE POWER PROGRAMS t FORMER PREMIER GREECE DEAD HEALTHDECN DRIFTS didmanyother TOWNNEARBY and A Half Billions Asked For Relief, FDR CONVENING BAPTIST FACTORY,II HOUSES DESTROYED FIRE AWAITED APPEALS PEAK WITH BORROWINGS FLATTENED PRODUCER WHIPS CROONER'

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Vol Man said:

So, I saw this posted from Archives of Kingsport Facebook page. Winter of 1936 saw two huge snows just a few weeks apart, early February and mid March! Here are the newspaper copies they posted for those two events. Interesting references to some incredible snow totals around the area, and to the issue of phone lines still working.  Also some pictures in their post.

archives of the city of kingsport - Search Results | Facebook

May be an image of map and text that says 'KINGSPORT THE CITY INDUSTRY The FULL EASED ASSOCIATED PRESS Kingsport Times EIGHTPAGETODAY PRICE FIVE HUNDRED Fess May 'Take Walk' STRIKE CALLED' HIGHWAY AND RAIL TRAFFIC SLOWED MILLION ASKED If Borah Nominated NORMAL AGAIN BY SNOW; CITY Sea SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED TAXES Former FOR SMALL BOATS IN OHIO RIVER ICE eae 8Inche Offiial City CLEAR HIGHWAYS COUNT COVADONGA CRTCALLY FRIENDLY BEACON Violations CONVICTS ESCAPE Causedby Snow KENTUCKY PRISON STARS WARD SOLONS SOCIAL DEFENSE EXPANDS ALIBI KILLING TESTIMONY DIFFERS OPPOSITION ANSWER PRISON GANG PRISONER SEEK FEDERAL MONEY FOR'

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'CITY INDUSTRY ASSOCIATED PRESS FULT LEASED WIRE The Kingsport Times MFMBERA.B.C PAGE E FLOOD SWEEP NORTH; MANY KILLED DEEP SNOW COVERS EAST GERMANY WILL HELPS COUNSEL SEEKS' PENNSYLV HARDEST HIT; CONDEMNED DODGE TESTS INDICTMENTS TENNESSEE; TELEPHONES SCHEME JOHNSTOWN UNDER WATER AND BUSSES PARALIZED AHOY! SENDS OUT .S. Ûid 30-Hour Ûu VENIZELOS DRIFTS 'VERDICT' SINCE POWER PROGRAMS t FORMER PREMIER GREECE DEAD HEALTHDECN DRIFTS didmanyother TOWNNEARBY and A Half Billions Asked For Relief, FDR CONVENING BAPTIST FACTORY,II HOUSES DESTROYED FIRE AWAITED APPEALS PEAK WITH BORROWINGS FLATTENED PRODUCER WHIPS CROONER'

Thanks for posting that . Very interesting ! My Grandfather told me about a big Snow during the middle 1930's. I'll look that one up in our local Paper. The biggest on Record for here was March 2, 1942. 3 Feet recorded in downtown Pennington gap. I wish our Paper was online. 

On 1/11/2024 at 4:44 PM, John1122 said:

Here is a screenshot from the 1996 snow taken from one of my girlfriends home movies. This is in Oakdale, TN (Morgan County).

Looks super deep to me. I should have a higher res version tomorrow as this was a quick screengrab while converting it to digital format.

received_312825471210496.png?ex=65c31aac

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Here is a screenshot from the 1996 snow taken from one of my girlfriends home movies. This is in Oakdale, TN (Morgan County).

Looks super deep to me. I should have a higher res version tomorrow as this was a quick screengrab while converting it to digital format.

received_312825471210496.png?ex=65c31aac

It snowed truck beds full here. It was the first winter storm that I did a snow board and cleaned it off for measurements every three hours. 

• Like 2

Tennessee is ranked above Kansas this week! KU has played a couple dreadful road games. Tennessee really handled Alabama. Yeah it was at home, but the Vols would have smoked them on the road playing that well. Kentucky shows some high-power offense like we have not seen in a few years. Defense is TBD. Auburn could also make a statement in the SEC.

Some of the best weeks of the year are upon us. Time to dig into the heart of college conference basketball season!

Kentucky is a head scratcher. Got smoked last night by an average SC team whose best player wouldn’t start on UK’s team.

• Like 1

received_312825471210496.png?ex=65c31aac&is=65b0a5ac&hm=713b81d00919cbff05a9d54afdc80a306b0cd8c43d2a45ac2b9719ef1da851ca&

That’s 3/4 of the way up the vehicle tires

• Like 2

I thought Kansas was inconsistent.

4 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

Kentucky is a head scratcher. Got smoked last night by an average SC team whose best player would start on UK’s team.

Then Kentucky is like, hold my beer!

Tonight Alabama and Auburn should be interesting. Hopefully high scoring. So Tennessee has the whole week off? Should be well rested for Saturday. 

• Like 1

I thought Kansas was inconsistent.
Then Kentucky is like, hold my beer!

Tonight Alabama and Auburn should be interesting. Hopefully high scoring. So Tennessee has the whole week off? Should be well rested for Saturday. 

Yes…. Bye week for Tennessee which I wouldn’t say is great considering how we are playing but good teams shouldn’t be affected.

• Like 1

South Carolina played dirty, but UT needs to play through that. Oh I have my own problems. Kansas may look invincible at home, but can't win against Q3 on the road. 

As for the NCAA I've long called it Nazi Commies Against Athletes. It's corrupt, power hungry, greedy, and doesn't want to share with the athletes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

South Carolina played dirty, but UT needs to play through that. Oh I have my own problems. Kansas may look invincible at home, but can't win against Q3 on the road. 

As for the NCAA I've long called it Nazi Commies Against Athletes. It's corrupt, power hungry, greedy, and doesn't want to share with the athletes. 

We gettin' ready to fix that problem for ya.  LOL.  The battle is under way.  Donde vs the NCAA.  

• Like 5