Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It is kinda crazy at this point. People keep hitting me with snarky replies that "winter lasts until May there" and "it snows upslope every day there" but this has been a crazy dull stretch by any metric.

People are on track with the comment about winter lasting until May in the mountains of NNE though; it’s just what you plan on.  What I’ve generally seen on this forum is that people start pining for spring way to soon.  You can see it in the main thread now, where lots of folks want to jump right to sunny and 70s, and then it’s just a gripe session about how crappy the weather is all through March and April in SNE.  I think you mentioned that you were heading south at some point anyway, but if you’re around at your NH place, I’d still plan on cold-weather activities right through May, even if we’re not necessarily getting snow.

I seriously don’t plan on warm-weather activities around here until the Memorial Day/June 1st timeframe, because that’s typically the reality of how long it takes to actually get to consistently warm temperatures for outdoor stuff anyway.  Fortunately, the snow is generally around until that point, so we can just keep skiing.  I typically keep the ski racks on the vehicles through May, and then switch over to the bike racks at some point around that May/June transition.

There were some good points made in that conversation about your site though - from everything we’ve see in the data, it looks like you’ve had a roughly average snowpack once it was set down.  So somehow you got there, even if snowfall seems to be on the low side.  Maybe this was a season with a bit lower snowfall, but better preservation than usual, and it averaged out with respect to snowpack?  Coastal’s point was good to - maybe we don’t have a feel for the exact climate there yet with just 11 seasons?  I think it’s clear that your site gets in on the typical NNE mountain upslope, but probably less than over here in the Northern Greens, and maybe less than Alex’s site as well?  NW upslope seems to be the most common/everyday type of upslope due to the prevailing winds, so sites that maximize that effect probably get more of it on average.

Maybe your site is more dependent on synoptic storms than some of the mountain areas around here, so if there’s a dearth of those, it affects the snowfall more in that area.  The resorts around here in the Northern Greens are behind average pace on snowfall, but it seems like there are areas of NH and ME (especially based on snowfall numbers we’re seeing form the ME guys in the forum) that might be more off their usual pace because of fewer synoptic storms affecting that area.

5 hours ago, J.Spin said:

The resorts around here in the Northern Greens are behind average pace on snowfall, but it seems like there are areas of NH and ME (especially based on snowfall numbers we’re seeing form the ME guys in the forum) that might be more off their usual pace because of fewer synoptic storms affecting that area.

I'm at 60" which is somewhat behind what I should be.   It has been boring for quite a stretch.   The thing that stands out the most is not one storm above 3.5" this entire winter except the 24" in 12 hours on Dec 17th.   Last summer was drought.  I hope we don't go right back into one.  Not going to be a lot of runoff this spring unless we get some synoptic storms.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just busted into the warm air.   Went from 26 to 38F in a little more than 1 hour.

Frickin deer are eating the bark off the baby apple trees.  They have deer fencing but the 11" of pack is so hard they walk on top and can reach branches.

They're good at that, and more.  In early 2008 our neighbor was cutting cedar across the road and 20+ deer were feasting on the foliage being put within reach.  The harvest ended in late Feb, and with the cafeteria closed those critters moved across the road and switched to our apple trees.  Since the pack was a solid 40"+, all those deer were able to eat every bud and twig within 10 feet of the ground except for a couple branches under the snow.  Those were finished off as the pack receded.  Zero blossoms that spring and the May freeze in 2010 after a warm April made it 2 years out of 3 with nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm at 60" which is somewhat behind what I should be.   It has been boring for quiet a stretch.   The thing that stands out the most is not one storm above 3.5" this entire winter except the 24" in 12 hours on Dec 17th.   Last summer was drought.  I hope we don't go right back into one.  Not going to be a lot of runoff this spring unless we get some synoptic storms.

This is all I am saying. I don't think it's a climo issue. It isn't like all of NNE is crushing it except for Randolph. LOL

On 3/7/2021 at 9:43 PM, borderwx said:

Skating yesterday realized we haven’t had to flood the rink since January. That’s  first. It is always fun to see how the winter will unfold. We haven’t had one storm over 9”, and yet, the access to quality winter fun has not been deterred. 

This is my attitude as well. Enjoy each winter for what it is.  Like you, my biggest event was 10” in one time way back on November 2-3 upslope event.  But for whatever reason it’s still be a very enjoyable winter for frequent snows and long access to winter recreation.

We see what next year brings and most of the enjoyment is seeing how Nature will roll out the next winter.  I’ve had far less enjoyable winters that have featured larger storms.

Detaching enjoyment of winter from a climo comparison also helps. When I first moved up I think I found it very hard to enjoy a winter if it was below the median.  Like a mental block, if snowfall and the Mansfield stake was below the average I couldn’t enjoy it.  Maybe it’s living in VT longer and that chill attitude of overall experience has penetrated deeper into me that enjoyment doesn’t need to be related to numbers, ha.  Either that or ‘15-16 just broke me and since then I’m very happy with more than 50”.

Just take what’s thrown at you and we see what the character of next winter brings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Rosebrook Lodge near the summit at the ski area reporting a temp of 27. Twin Mountain airport reporting a temp of 37. I went outside without a jacket :thumbsup:

My high was 45.6F,  first 45F of 2021.   Did errands without a jacket.  Felt so warm.   With the warmth and sunshine the snowpack  only decreased about 1/2" to 10.5"

• Like 1

Temp popped up to low 40s mid-morn under mostly sunny skies.  Then the clouds moved back in and it's been mid-upper 30s since then, still not bad.  Took a core and found 6.25" LE in 18-19" pack with several solid crusts, the toughest from the 2/16 sleet event.  Near 1/3 water is about average by this time of the year.

No sun here, temp stayed in the 30s.

The strong NW wind was a bit surprising.  It was hammering wind up on the mountain, even Sunny Spruce went on wind hold.

Low 20s up top and wind chills in the single digits was not quite what I expected ha.  Snow definitely didn’t soften on Mansfield.

The haves and have nots with sunshine and warmth clearly visible.

A30DA571-F49D-4CE8-9217-40F7D5DF10AC.thumb.jpeg.747c7930b0abce3b7eca1527cfd27934.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is my attitude as well. Enjoy each winter for what it is.  Like you, my biggest event was 10” in one time way back on November 2-3 upslope event.  But for whatever reason it’s still be a very enjoyable winter for frequent snows and long access to winter recreation.

We see what next year brings and most of the enjoyment is seeing how Nature will roll out the next winter.  I’ve had far less enjoyable winters that have featured larger storms.

Detaching enjoyment of winter from a climo comparison also helps. When I first moved up I think I found it very hard to enjoy a winter if it was below the median.  Like a mental block, if snowfall and the Mansfield stake was below the average I couldn’t enjoy it.  Maybe it’s living in VT longer and that chill attitude of overall experience has penetrated deeper into me that enjoyment doesn’t need to be related to numbers, ha.  Either that or ‘15-16 just broke me and since then I’m very happy with more than 50”.

Just take what’s thrown at you and we see what the character of next winter brings.

I agree with this immensely. I am positive that my 61" seasonal total is way below average (my seasonal total should end up in the 100-120" range)...granted we still have a good five weeks to realistically add to this. But I have logged 67 days with at least one downhill ski descent, including three top-to-bottom descents from the summit of Mount Washington down to the Cog Railway station...so I've had a tremendous amount of winter fun, regardless of the sub-par snowpack. There's been enough snow and persistent cold to satisfy my needs for the most part.

There is still a chance for a late season rally, especially in the alpine. Last year on this date, there was a lean 63" snow depth at the Hermit Lake plot on Mount Washington. By May 1st, the snow depth had increased to 100" due to an absolute bombardment of elevation-driven storms in April and early May. I certainly don't expect a similar outcome this year, but I'm pretty confident I will be skiing the ravines and snowfields through May no matter how the rest of the winter and spring pans out.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 9:43 PM, borderwx said:

Braving the hard pack conditions today. 

Skating yesterday realized we haven’t had to flood the rink since January. That’s  first. It is always fun to see how the winter will unfold. We haven’t had one storm over 9”, and yet, the access to quality winter fun has not been deterred. 

6 weeks to go

I was up in your neck of the woods today and off the valley floors, it was mid winter.  We rode from Lowell to Jay and then over towards Richford.  Jay Peak was in clouds all day and the snow was chalky.  

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of snow melt occurring today but with a frozen ground I assume most is just running off into rivers and streams.   After a dry fall we have not had a lot of precipitation this winter.  I hope this changes soon.   Here is a map of % of normal precipitation over the last 90 days.  Another dry week coming up.  

precip.jpg

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lots of snow melt occurring today but with a frozen ground I assume most is just running off into rivers and streams.   After a dry fall we have not had a lot of precipitation this winter.  I hope this changes soon.   Here is a map of % of normal precipitation over the last 90 days.  Another dry week coming up.  

precip.jpg

I just really hope we break the cycle with a snowstorm instead of a Grinch 2.0 cutter that decimates the snowpack. Some of the models are starting to get that cutter look to me. 

35F and the snowpack is frozen again from within.  The core snowpack temp is still cold and it started firming up (slick) at even 40 degrees earlier this evening.

That cold core temperature  of the pack will lock this snow up tight even if temperatures fail to show a solid freeze.  On the slopes, it'll be firm in the early morning regardless of temperatures.  A crispy coat overnight.