• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday, August 25, 2020 Severe Potential

weatherwiz

There is a bit of uncertainty regarding the overall potential due to the anticipated timing of the strong cold front, however, the potential exists for multiple fast-moving line segments capable of producing damaging winds and perhaps hail (especially with any splitting supercells). A fairly vigorous shortwave trough amplifies as it approaches New England with a plume of steeper lapse rates moving through aloft and a strengthening mid-level jet on order of 50-60 knots. At the surface we'll see temperatures pushing well into the 80's...perhaps near 90 depending on overall timing of the front with dewpoints well into the 60's to near 70. Combination of heat and humidity with steeper lapse rates should yield a moderately unstable atmosphere...BUT this could be limited with a faster fropa. Should timing of the front slow down we could see some pockets of widespread wind damage. Forecast soundings indicate a textbook inverted-V signature indicating increased potential for damaging winds and long/straight hodographs suggest splitting supercells/hail potential 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Timing of fropa seems in question. 

Also looks like some sort of pre-frontal trough may come through a little early? Near westerly sfc winds should limit convergence which should limit aerial coverage but I still think we'll see multiple short line segments...whatever develops will have plenty of dynamics to tap into. That's why I think we'll see widespread damage but localized/concentrated 

Just now, Henry's Weather said:

Why do west winds limit storm convergance?

I should actually clarify...west winds alone doesn't mean less convergence...it's more of the winds with respect to the front. Typically with cold FROPAS they do so in a more northwest to southeast fashion...so if you have like S, SW, SE winds...they're going into the front ...air is converging which means upward motion. If sfc winds are more W its kind more parallel to the front so there isn't much convergence. At least that's how I've always understood it 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I should actually clarify...west winds alone doesn't mean less convergence...it's more of the winds with respect to the front. Typically with cold FROPAS they do so in a more northwest to southeast fashion...so if you have like S, SW, SE winds...they're going into the front ...air is converging which means upward motion. If sfc winds are more W its kind more parallel to the front so there isn't much convergence. At least that's how I've always understood it 

this is important to call out .. a good number of our high end severe weather events have W / NW flow aloft 

50 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

this is important to call out .. a good number of our high end severe weather events have W / NW flow aloft 

yeah some of our biggest events come from;

1) NW flot aloft (mid-levels)...which also tend to match well with EML advection but not all NW flow events are associated with EML's

2) EML's 

3) cold pools aloft 

but our severe wx events can be maximized with the combo of a NW flow/EML 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Tip had a great post a while back on storms dying east of the river with S winds I believe.

Just now, PowderBeard said:

Tip had a great post a while back on storms dying east of the river with S winds I believe.

Depending on the season south winds can be a killer b/c of marine taint but IMO I think this is more of a factor during the spring through late June. Once the waters warm I don't think it becomes as big of a factor. I've always wanted to do research on this but my thinking is that storms just tend to out run the better dynamics/upper-level support. The better dynamics/upper-level support seem to be up around the NYS/Canadian border or traverse NNE...so taking into account the curvature of the Earth, when storms just get past a certain point they just lose that assistance and fizzle...partly too b/c our instability here tends to be on the weaker side and predominately sfc parcel driven (days where we may have 2500 SBCAPE but barely 750 MLCAPE). the good SBCAPE helps get things to develop but for them to really mature the updrafts need additional assistance (good MLCAPE, dynamics, upper-level support)...and with that lacking convection struggle to get very deep.

• Like 1