Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021

ORH_wxman

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wouldn’t a strengthening la nina not favor it as much? 

Depends how strong....MEI of 1.2 is not a huge deal. I would rather a mod east based event, than a weak west-based.

Still some stuff to workout.....regardless, I'm not calling for 1995-1996 neg NAO, so don't get me wrong. Just not last year.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Depends how strong....MEI of 1.2 is not a huge deal. I would rather a mod east based event, than a weak west-based.

Still some stuff to workout.....regardless, I'm not calling for 1995-1996 neg NAO, so don't get me wrong. Just not last year.

I doubt it goes this strong, but HM and Ben Noll have made comparisons of this year to 1988: 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Here we go, let's look at the record. Who called for a ratter in April 15 then again in  Nov 15 for 15/16 besides me and Jerry. We already know you will flip flop like you are on Cape Cod bay. 

That was a super Nino..lol. I think we all thought it may suck. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but this time of year...I would expect that to be the case?

The warm anomalies on that map are actually where we want to see them start ramping up in November....eastern Siberia. Hopefully they keep doing so.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The warm anomalies on that map are actually where we want to see them start ramping up in November....eastern Siberia. Hopefully they keep doing so.

That's true. I just mean overall I wouldn't expect a displacement...or even a hint at it getting thrown off the axis quite yet. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lots of downtime in my new gig too, like all the time, so I finished my framework last month. 10-11  and might even be able to turn Feb 11 around.  La La lock it up

Lol...I have no more excuses.   While working full time, over the last 10 years I avoided using their servers so everything was by phone.  Waiting for an image to load-peep at the euro-working on a boring report-check the phone for sanity.   

i suspect I’ll king weenie as winter gets closer.   

53 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I doubt it goes this strong, but HM and Ben Noll have made comparisons of this year to 1988: 

Ninas favor mjo phase 2-5 because of where the warm waters are. I don’t think we will get much help this year from the mjo. The one positive is how warm the waters are off the west coast. That’s not a typical strong Niña look.

9 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Ninas favor mjo phase 2-5 because of where the warm waters are. I don’t think we will get much help this year from the mjo. The one positive is how warm the waters are off the west coast. That’s not a typical strong Niña look.

Being east based helps, as well. It can keep the forcing closer to the dateline.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Mike V showed a graphic of the background easterlies, slowly migrating east over the last few months. I thought that was a good thing to see. I can't right now, but someone can link that. 

This may explain why la nina hasn't been migrating westward as assertively as guidance had suggested.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So if you look at the erly anomalies and pretend there is a trend line going from top to bottom, you'll see what he means.  The lower part is a forecast, but sometimes those forecasts are not accurate. 

Do you agree with what I said about potentially keeping westward progression at bay?

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Do you agree with what I said about potentially keeping westward progression at bay?

I think it makes sense....easterlies migrating eastward is going to keep the Nino1+2 and Nino 3 regions colder than otherwise.

Yeah pretty much what Will said. It will help keep ern regions cooler, and then that interface where erly anomalies and wrly anomalies meet, would trend east. For simplistic terms, that interface is probably where you have anomalous convection. Keep that east of the maritime continent would be a good thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think it makes sense....easterlies migrating eastward is going to keep the Nino1+2 and Nino 3 regions colder than otherwise.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah pretty much what Will said. It will help keep ern regions cooler, and then that interface where erly anomalies and wrly anomalies meet, would trend east. For simplistic terms, that interface is probably where you have anomalous convection. Keep that east of the maritime continent would be a good thing.

Almost like the ENSO deformation zone haha

Exactly. Same page....pinning the forcing west is never a bad thing.