Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

12 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Our testing volume has plateaued recently.  If we keep finding the same number of cases on approx the same number of tests that shows the prevalence might not be dropping very much.  The current volume of cases is causing thousands of deaths a day.  I’m not sure what’s complicated about that for you. 

You have zero idea when those 30k people caught the virus or from whom. It kinda tells you nothing, actually.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

If a bomb explodes in your city and kills 1,000 people in a day, would you go around saying that based on the data today bombs kill as many people per day in the city as guns? No, of course not.

What are you even talking about?  A new virus isn’t analogous to a bomb that goes off once on one day.  

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL people here get so mad when I point out that the stats they have been consuming for 40 days straight as the basis for every opinion they have on this virus are total crap.

No ones mad.  I think I’m going to stop antagonizing you now though.  While It’s extremely fun/entertaining for me but I can see why this thread would be better off if I stopped doing this.  So I’ll stop.  Anyways have a good evening.  

10 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

What are you even talking about?  A new virus isn’t analogous to a bomb that goes off once on one day.  

It appears COVID-19 is not so lethal that herd immunity won't eventually relegate it to "normal" status. Like swine flu. Our lack of herd immunity means the virus is running rampant now, but that won't continue. That's not how viruses like this work. This isn't MERS with a 30% death rate. It is high R0, low IFR. So it hits us hard for a few months and then fizzles into the background as another respiratory disease we see at low numbers every year. So, this was basically a viral "bomb" that went off and then will fade. Acting like this will kill thousands of Americans indefinitely unless we undertake major interventions is BS.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

No ones mad.  I think I’m going to stop antagonizing you now though.  While It’s extremely fun/entertaining for me but I can see why this thread would be better off if I stopped doing this.  So I’ll stop.  Anyways have a good evening.  

I don't think you are antagonizing me. I am under the impression you just don't understand the stats all that well and are just watching too much TV news.

Just now, PhineasC said:

I don't think you are antagonizing me. I am under the impression you just don't understand the stats all that well and are just watching too much TV news.

I fully understand all the reasons why daily case counts aren’t the ideal metric but I really like to rile you up.  The last 3 times I’ve posted the 30k thing it’s just to get a response from you.  

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It’s gonna be funny seeing the pivot and excuse making here when every state is wide open by mid May. 

”Wow my governor just said COVID disappeared overnight! Amazing!”

VA order is until June 10th... so unless there's a change... not opening anytime in May

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s gonna be funny seeing the pivot and excuse making here when every state is wide open by mid May. 

”Wow my governor just said COVID disappeared overnight! Amazing!”

By wide open, I assume you mean conferences, concerts and sporting events will resume.  And restaurants will be at full capacity.  And all tourist sites will be completely open.  I’ll take you on that bet.

Just now, Inverted_Trough said:

By wide open, I assume you mean conferences, concerts and sporting events will resume.  And restaurants will be at full capacity.  And all tourist sites will be completely open.  I’ll take you on that bet.

Those things will be allowed with some caveats but very poorly attended/patronized, IMO. 

55 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It appears COVID-19 is not so lethal that herd immunity won't eventually relegate it to "normal" status. Like swine flu. Our lack of herd immunity means the virus is running rampant now, but that won't continue. That's not how viruses like this work. This isn't MERS with a 30% death rate. It is high R0, low IFR. So it hits us hard for a few months and then fizzles into the background as another respiratory disease we see at low numbers every year. So, this was basically a viral "bomb" that went off and then will fade. Acting like this will kill thousands of Americans indefinitely unless we undertake major interventions is BS.

Thousands die of the annual flu. I don't understand your point here. Why the **** are you still here? You have no say in the matter so if your goal is not to diminish the extent of the lock-down then you are just a contrarian as many have stated.

1 minute ago, Vice-Regent said:

Thousands die of the annual flu. I don't understand your point here. Why the **** are you still here? You have no say in the matter so if your goal is not to diminish the extent of the lock-down then you are just a contrarian as many have stated.

You calling me a contrarian troll is pretty hilarious. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

Wide open? Doubt it.  I have repeatedly said I believe when many of the stay at home orders(not lock downs, as they don't exist here) expire mid May, we will likely be moving in steps back towards "open for business'. Yeah some of the red states will begin that process sooner. Already happening to some degree. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic