Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

COVID-19 Talk

Just now, wxtrix said:

this is a stupid answer.

And your an authoritarian fear monger who is rude and obnoxious.  But I’m still glad you are free to be the way you are.  

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I think all outdoor activities should be allowed.  I’d start there.  Playgrounds, outdoor dining, pools, golf courses, outdoor sports (like basketball, soccer, etc).  I would do that tomorrow in VA.  Then I’d phase in retail stores over the next week or two.  Then by Menorial Day i would recommend opening sit down restaurants and bars.

I’m not trying to be asshat, but which, if any, of the following are true:

You don’t understand how your idea could lead to a flood of new cases

You don’t believe the virus is that big a deal so even if there is a flood of new cases, it won’t be a problem for our health system

Its every man for himself so if there’s a flood of cases and hospitals get overwhelmed, survival of the fittest

There won’t be a flood of new cases

Something else?

And again, there’s no tone in my post, just wondering your thoughts. Phin, too, if/when he sees this.

13 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

And your an authoritarian fear monger who is rude and obnoxious.  But I’m still glad you are free to be the way you are.  

i asked you a logical question and you twice refused to answer it. 

16 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I think all outdoor activities should be allowed.  I’d start there.  Playgrounds, outdoor dining, pools, golf courses, outdoor sports (like basketball, soccer, etc).  I would do that tomorrow in VA.  Then I’d phase in retail stores over the next week or two.  Then by Menorial Day i would recommend opening sit down restaurants and bars.

and what about the virus?

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m not trying to be asshat, but which, if any, of the following are true:

You don’t understand how your idea could lead to a flood of new cases

You don’t believe the virus is that big a deal so even if there is a flood of new cases, it won’t be a problem for our health system

Its every man for himself so if there’s a flood of cases and hospitals get overwhelmed, survival of the fittest

There won’t be a flood of new cases

Something else?

And again, there’s no tone in my post, just wondering your thoughts. Phin, too, if/when he sees this.

I’ve seen the economic devastation and the emotional devastation of the virus and weighed that against the cases and deaths and heartache caused to those affected by the virus.  I believe the unprecedented whole society quarantine was the wrong approach.  Nursing homes and the elderly at high risk should be advised to self quarantine indefinitely.  Most hospitals are losing money and reducing staff hours or laying off staff.  The main concern in Mid March was that the hospital system would be overwhelmed.  If there are are any counties/cities with overwhelmed health systems that should be taken into account in their reopening decision.  I also believe the virus will spread much slower during the summer months and follow a more traditional cold/flu season pattern.  Your questions are reasonable and i appreciate a good, friendly discussion.

7 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

and what about the virus?

We deal with it.  Like we deal with all other viruses.  We wash our hands, we search for therapeutics, cures and vaccines.  We make decisions personally about our safety.  If you determine that leaving your home for anything but necessities is what is best for you and your family more power to you.  If you own a restaurant and want to open to customers more power to you.  Flattening the curve was a noble experiment that had never been tried before.  But at some point people have to be free again.  And i believe the time is now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

We deal with it.  Like we deal with all other viruses.  We wash our hands, we search for therapeutics, cures and vaccines.  We make decisions personally about our safety.  If you determine that leaving your home for anything but necessities is what is best for you and your family more power to you.  If you own a restaurant and want to open to customers more power to you.  Flattening the curve was a noble experiment that had never been tried before.  But at some point people have to be free again.  And i believe the time is now.

social distancing was done in 1918.

the proven science about flattening the curve was first published in 2007.

flattening the curve, along with widespread testing and contact tracing was done in Mexico in 2009 for a short while (once it was determined that H1N1 was not more lethal than seasonal influenza).

flattening/testing/tracing have been successful in 2020 in other countries. 

why are you posting lies?

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

This sounds like an argument to just stop the charade and open back up. 

I said about 50 pages ago that this whole argument is kinda moot and semantics because the “opening” wasn’t going to radically different from what we have now due to a combo of lax regulations, non compliance, and an opening that still is likely to include some social distancing measures. But you probably didn’t notice because you were busy typing your next post trying to get everyone else to live in constant fear of the government like you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leaking Gut said:

Does MD have any guidance when a family member tests positive?  If so, can someone point me to the protocols?  Doctor seems to think we all should be fine and don't need to do anything further.

I am going to PM you some info. 

4 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

social distancing was done in 1918.

the proven science about flattening the curve was first published in 2007.

flattening the curve, along with widespread testing and contact tracing was done in Mexico in 2009 for a short while (once it was determined that H1N1 was not more lethal than seasonal influenza).

flattening/testing/tracing have been successful in 2020 in other countries. 

why are you posting lies?

You have extremely poor reading comprehension.  I mean really bad for such a prick on the subject.  Please read my post again and identify the “lie”.  I posted an opinion.  And social distancing is not equal to shut downs and stay home orders.  

I don’t even understand what all the arguing is about anymore.  It looks like most states, including VA and possibly MD, will be doing some kind of soft reopening in the next few weeks.  

1 minute ago, jaydreb said:

I don’t even understand what all the arguing is about anymore.  It looks like most states, including VA and possibly MD, will be doing some kind of soft reopening in the next few weeks.  

Slowly yes.  But some in here want everything open now no matter what the cost 

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

You have extremely poor reading comprehension.  I mean really bad for such a prick on the subject.  Please read my post again and identify the “lie”.  I posted an opinion.  And social distancing is not equal to shut downs and stay home orders.  

what did you mean by “prick”?

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Slowly yes.  But some in here want everything open now no matter what the cost 

Thanks.  I’m having a hard time deciphering what specifically some people (on both sides of the debate) want to have happen.  

Reopening is happening in several states but I have yet to see any evidence that it's resulting in significant economic activity, flooding of stores, bars, etc. Most places are staying closed, and even places that are opening are barely seeing any customers. I think people simply don't feel safe engaging in economic activity during a panemic. Some do for sure, but the polls generally show about 60-80% of people have some degree of avoidance planned.

What I am waiting for is schools and daycares to open. We're going to have a real reckoning then. Do teachers, especially older ones, show up? Do parents feel comfortable sending their kids? Do daycares see enrollment drop, thus making it less likely to be able to operate with staff and building costs? 

It's going to be a very interesting next few months.

If my daycare opens in a week or two, I seriously would consider not sending my son and just pulling him. I'm OK with outside play and even a few small play dates, but I'm not comfortable sending him into a building with 50 other kids, parents in and out, teachers, etc. They're already pitri dishes lol.

45 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

These people are insane.

Absolutely terrible, and crazy. But if I had to guess where something like that would happen, Flint MI would be on the list 

Just to add, one thing that would make me reconsider my position is if testing becomes widespread in Maryland, and all people can get tested and contact traced.

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Absolutely terrible, and crazy. But if I had to guess where something like that would happen, Flint MI would be on the list 

why Flint?

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Says the people working from home in their PJs ordering from DoorDash and Amazon... OK. Fun "sabbatical" you all are having, I'm sure.

There are lots of things you could advocate for to help small businesses other than simply open up. Again you paint everything into a binary choice. You even go out of your way to avoid middle ground measures. 

4 hours ago, Yeoman said:

I know.. hard to beat sitting at home collecting checks while others struggle to put food on the table and pay the rent.

See above

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

OK, we gonna go there?

I could give you a suggestion where you should go!

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Nah, we are done. You just couldn't help yourself, trash.

Why you getting all emotional???

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

What's that supposed to mean?

10 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

why Flint?

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

What's that supposed to mean?

It’s one of the poorest cities in America...high crime rate, etc. Baltimore would be on the list too lol

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Could be our first sub 1,000 death day in a looooong time. 

First time since March 30th.  Mission Accomplished.  Time to #openitup!

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

That one model that came out with the huge death number initially then backed way off is now back to the huge number again. This is nuts

The new report looks much more realistic. The old version had deaths tailing off to near zero by June 1, which was never going to happen.  

22 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Reopening is happening in several states but I have yet to see any evidence that it's resulting in significant economic activity, flooding of stores, bars, etc. Most places are staying closed, and even places that are opening are barely seeing any customers. I think people simply don't feel safe engaging in economic activity during a panemic. Some do for sure, but the polls generally show about 60-80% of people have some degree of avoidance planned.

Make sense.  I guess the predictions of people making a mad dash for Applebees after their tyrannical government allowed them to leave their house never materialized.  At this point, opening things up is a paper exercise.  There is pent-up demand for sitting on a beach, but not sitting at a restaurant.

• Like 1