• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

11 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

I know Springville averages a good amount of snow but I like my winters past January lol Lake Erie freezing would drive me nuts.. 

I don't think Erie has fully frozen over since 2014-2015 winter. Even last year it was 80% frozen and Boston got 4 feet of snow in 1 day. With our winters warming so rapidly its less and less likely Erie freezes every year. Springville also has 1330' elevation which helps out a lot. I think they average 200"+

• Like 2

I don't think it will be social media as much as COVID-19/vaccination...You are basically alienated if you don't get the shot..I'm pretty sure you can't even eat with your teammates, have to wear mask and go through all the protocols that a vaccinated player doesn't have to.. Unvaccinated players could potentially cause forfeit of games..I'm pretty sure you get fined 15k for breaking protocol..That's what could split up a team imo..

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I don't think it will be social media as much as COVID-19/vaccination...You are basically alienated if you don't get the shot..I'm pretty sure you can't even eat with your teammates, have to wear mask and go through all the protocols that a vaccinated player doesn't have to.. Unvaccinated players could potentially cause forfeit of games..I'm pretty sure you get fined 15k for breaking protocol..That's what could split up a team imo..

Yeah I'm not sure I agree with the NFL on this. I got the shot, but still believe people should have a choice.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, TugHillMatt said:

Sure! I actually lived in Redfield for a year. There is an Aldi in Pulaski... :) ... Pulaski and Camden, both about 25 minutes from there, are charming towns with "some" business. Otherwise, you drive 45 minutes to an hour to Rome, Watertown, or Syracuse to do your business.

I was going to suggest Central Square to you, as it's close enough to Syracuse and does better snow-wise. It too, is growing...I like Oswego County. You can get more for a house there than you do in Onondaga. But, selection is less there, and there is definitely some poverty.

Cazenovia is a great village. Beautiful area and homes. It's at a higher elevation. It has high wealth, so it's expensive to live there. I find Madison County to have BEAUTIFUL countryside. 

Matt summarized it well.  Manlius is overall nicer (pricier and snobbier perhaps), but also near Green Lakes State Park where I like to golf and snowshoe/ hike.  Usually, (before Matt moved to Bville and ruined it for everybody, wrecking our local LES), the best spot for LES local to Syracuse is from northern Clay/Cicero/Bville/Brewerton up towards Central Square. Fulton also usually gets quite a bit more but...it's Fulton. Kind of a frumpy town IMO but not bad.  Depends on what you like or are used to.  Another option are the hills south and southeast of Syr into Madison County.  Prettier there, not as close to "stuff" but not too far either.  That area does get some decent orographic boost to LES and synoptic snowfall. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Kind of crazy as 75% of the state is vaccinated.  You would think they know more about this stuff then the general population. Maybe we are the stupid ones. ^_^

https://nypost.com/2021/07/18/one-third-of-ny-hospital-workers-are-unvaccinated-data-shows/

There are quite a few Drs choosing to not get vaccinated...I'd imagine they know something more than we do about the topic. I know that locally they started giving away vaccine that was meant for patient facing staff to administrative staff.

5 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

There are quite a few Drs choosing to not get vaccinated...I'd imagine they know something more than we do about the topic. I know that locally they started giving away vaccine that was meant for patient facing staff to administrative staff.

I just find it weird that every advertisement I see on facebook/instagram is about how the vaccines are safe. Now they are offering $100 to get vaccinated. I mean if the vaccine is safe why do I need paid advertisements telling me they are. It's just all incredibly weird. 

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I just find it weird that every advertisement I see on facebook/instagram is about how the vaccines are safe. Now they are offering $100 to get vaccinated. I mean if the vaccine is safe why do I need paid advertisements telling me they are. It's just all incredibly weird. 

Yea that reminds me of my general policy of not buying anything that has to be a hard sell to me...like used car warranties. 

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Maybe if more people took the vaccination they wouldn't have to? According to the CDC as of July 19th 44% of the nation remains unvaccinated..A state like Mississippi is only at 12% for example..

Here in Oswego county it's 50/50 yet no one wears a mask..

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Maybe if more people took the vaccination they wouldn't have to? According to the CDC as of July 19th 44% of the nation remains unvaccinated..A state like Mississippi is only at 12% for example..

My "doctor" (really the guy is an obnoxious PA) berated me and basically told me I was dumb because I choose to wait until it's actually approved and to see what effects come of this "savior" vaccination.

I am not against vaccination, per se... I am just choosing what I think is a best option while also continuing to try and be wise about sharing public space with others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah I hear you but the anti vax people are not going to change their minds. Those people don't care if they get Covid, they made their choice. They don't care of the repercussions of getting sick. They also believe since those of us who do care already got vaccinated and cannot get very sick that we can move on from this. I kind of agree with them. Why is this country worried about covid if the vaccines work? The ones who haven't got vaccinated could care less about covid, but our government is going to force them to care? I don't get it.

The coronavirus is going to be here forever, as it always has. It's not going away. Our reaction to it is the only thing that can change. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I feel like we knew this all along. The vaccine protects 100% against hospitalization. Why should we continue to care about those that don't want to get vaccine? Those that didn't get the vaccine also aren't scared of covid. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I feel like we knew this all along. The vaccine protects 100% against hospitalization. Why should we continue to care about those that don't want to get vaccine? Those that didn't get the vaccine also aren't scared of covid. 

Eh not so fast....in this study 5 people were hospitalized, 4 of them fully vaxed.

"Among five COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated"

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

Eh not so fast....in this study 5 people were hospitalized, 4 of them fully vaxed.

"Among five COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated"

Maybe not 100% then, most likely 95%. It's still extremely rare. Rare enough where we shouldn't be changing our lives for it again. 

Either way we will achieve herd immunity pretty quick if this is true.

"But research has shown that Delta spreads more aggressively. Earlier this month, for example, Chinese scientists described viral loads that were about roughly 1,000 times higher with Delta than earlier strains."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I agree 100 percent. The only thing I see is for the people who can not get vaccinated such as my kids who are all under the age of 2. Those from ages 2-12 should wear masks and social distance as well as unvaccinated people but for all of us who got the shot and are proven to be 95%+ effective against the delta variant, what the hell would we start wearing masks for again unless a person chooses to do so for their own reasons?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I hear you but the anti vax people are not going to change their minds. Those people don't care if they get Covid, they made their choice. They don't care of the repercussions of getting sick. They also believe since those of us who do care already got vaccinated and cannot get very sick that we can move on from this. I kind of agree with them. Why is this country worried about covid if the vaccines work? The ones who haven't got vaccinated could care less about covid, but our government is going to force them to care? I don't get it.

The coronavirus is going to be here forever, as it always has. It's not going away. Our reaction to it is the only thing that can change. 

At this point if you wanted to get a vaccine you’ve had more than enough time to get one.  It’s time to just let herd immunity end this.  It’s a pandemic, people are going to get sick and die.  The world cannot go through another lockdown of life.  The looming mask mandates again.  This is what I am most afraid of is a growing rift between the vax/unvax and mask/nonmask people.2C7BB24E-C0B7-4568-85DC-42A0CB8BF787.thumb.jpeg.f98abb3dc4ae17ad6c7d72add396458d.jpeg      I don’t want to start the crazy talk but I think everyone agrees there is some weird stuff about the vaccine out there.  So hard to believe anything anymore as everything on social or regular media has some slant one way or the other on it.  You got Beasley over here telling players the NFLPA is withholding information on the vaccine from them, like wtf… And you wonder why more people believe the crazy ideas they hear every day.  What are the odds this was to pop up in the US the week all the unemployment and eviction holds were set to end?  Summer into Fall was going to be a critical turning point to get back to normal, but if we go back to lockdown the economy is done and lots of businesses will just end up folding for good.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I agree 100 percent. The only thing I see is for the people who can not get vaccinated such as my kids who are all under the age of 2. Those from ages 2-12 should wear masks and social distance as well as unvaccinated people but for all of us who got the shot and are proven to be 95%+ effective against the delta variant, what the hell would we start wearing masks for again unless a person chooses to do so for their own reasons?

I forgot about the younger ones. If the Delta variant effects them greater then covid did it might be an issue as they aren't eligible for vaccine yet. 100k new cases yesterday, so some type of mask mandate is coming. 

On 7/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, Luke_Mages said:

This is my problem with this recent CDC info:

#1) The similar viral load between vaxxed and unvaxxed is measured in the nasal passages. Covid is primarily spread via droplets through coughing, sneezing, and talking. These are NOT passed through the nasal passages, but from the lungs and through the mouth. Again, the source of virus transfer is not the nasal passages, but lungs, throat, and mouth. 

#2) The immune system is complex. There are different antibody immune cells in the mucosal system (IgA's) vs. the systemic adaptive system (IgG's) (which activates when antigens enter the blood). The blood antibodies (IgG's) are the ones that are primarily triggered with the vaccine because it's injected directly into this system. And the IgG antibodies in the blood don't get to the mucosal 'surfaces' very well and can't fight against Covid when it initially enters the body through this route - allowing the Delta variant to replicated quickly. However, as soon as those viruses start to invade deeper into the body and enter the blood of a vaxxed person, they are met full-force with a blitzkrieg of IgG's, T's, B's, and NK's ready to kick some ass. This 'loaded gun' readiness prevents the serious symptoms. Of course, with the unvaxxed, the immune system takes some time to 'ramp up' thus allowing the virus to get deeper and do more damage - then the immune system can overcomp in some cases and really cause a mess. On a side note, the mucosal immune system responds better to immunizations administered through the nose, for example. Might be interesting for them to develop a nasal spray vaccination as a one, two punch.

With that said, my point is that similar viral load measured in the nasal passage should be expected for both vaxxed and unvaxxed, but this doesn't necessarily mean that transmission is the same between the 2 groups. I've bounced this off of my brother who's a Bio PhD and he thinks it's a legit argument against re-masking for vaccinated peeps.

Here's a good article I found about this little talked about perspective:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2020.611337/full

On 7/30/2021 at 3:39 PM, Luke_Mages said:

And all 5 had significant comorbidities. People who are unhealthy already don't need much to send them to the hospital. 

Another point to think about: not all people NOT getting the Covid vax are "anti-vaxxers". Some are waiting for full FDA approval, some have had allergies to vaccines in the past, and some are struggling with auto immune issues and don't wanna add another variable to their situation.

We should be careful not to label people.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I forgot about the younger ones. If the Delta variant effects them greater then covid did it might be an issue as they aren't eligible for vaccine yet. 100k new cases yesterday, so some type of mask mandate is coming. 

This is a quote from the article I posted above which provides a theory as to why younger people aren't impacted as much by Covid...interesting:

As SARS-CoV-2 first mainly infects the upper respiratory tract (URT), mucosal immune responses are expected to be induced in the nasopharynx, both across the nasal epithelium and via the tonsils and adenoids, which are collectively referred to as nasopharynx-associated lymphoid tissue (NALT) that serve as inductive sites for the mucosal immune system (6, 7). It is possible that responses might also be induced through mucosal inductive sites in the lacrimal duct (8) or the oral cavity (9), although the quantitative contribution of such sites to mucosal immune responses in humans is uncertain. Bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue (BALT) is not normally present in adult humans, but can be found in children and adolescents, and may be induced to form by infections (10). This raises interesting questions as to whether responses induced in BALT might contribute to the reported greater resistance of young people to COVID-19 disease, or whether BALT might be induced by SARS-CoV-2 with consequences for the course of infection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vortmax said:

Another point to think about: not all people NOT getting the Covid vax are "anti-vaxxers". Some are waiting for full FDA approval, some have had allergies to vaccines in the past, and some are struggling with auto immune issues and don't wanna add another variable to their situation.

We should be careful not to label people.

YES. I mentioned this the other day. The rationale behind, "let's get this vaccine that hasn't even been well studied yet into our bodies" seems to go against the logic we are taught in Science and health classes...as well as, well, common sense. Doesn't mean I'm "anti-vax" or as the horribly unprofessional PA I saw a few weeks ago, "I'm not a redneck who refuses to get it."

Soooo many contradictions these days...

13 hours ago, vortmax said:

And all 5 had significant comorbidities. People who are unhealthy already don't need much to send them to the hospital. 

That’s been the case all along with Covid. The vast majority ( I think>95%) of hospitalizations have co-morbidities. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic