• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

That lady on the bottom left-hand side clearly wearing no mask...:lmao:....wonder how many more like that were in the mall and across stores/malls in America. I am a bit surprised that the food kiosks are "allowed" to stay open in the middle of a packed mall. People HAVE to remove their mask to eat/drink. Sort of contradicts the point of requiring masks. My wife and I went to a creamery for our anniversary in October. They allowed you to sample ice cream. I "asked him for permission" to move my mask over to sample..it was just awkward. I know it wasn't off long at all...but the lack of consistency in mask wearing and social distancing is just confusing. I think it just adds to the attitude of some people that "This doesn't make sense" so they ignore and rebel against the orders.

The reason why you can remove your mask to eat and drink is because everyone knows that the masks are bs virtue signaling... 

55 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Anyone going to watch two old men fight? Lol 

This was a dream matchup about 20 years ago..

I'll probably find some free streaming site lol

Screenshot_20201128-092905.png

Won’t be watching this one but will def be watching the Eddie hall and Thor fight next year. Last boxing match I watched was Tyson Holyfield. 

• Like 1

Just now, wolfie09 said:

What's wrong with facts? Lol I'm not saying he wrong or write but nothing wrong with stating facts and having Statistics back you up lol

Hey, wolf. I didn't say anything was wrong? It might be your assuming my attitude in how I wrote it? He said "everybody knows" they're pointless...so I responded with be prepared for percentages, because clearly not everybody knows or thinks that. Remember...I try to take a middle-ground approach. :) 

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Be prepared to get tables and graphs of percentages from the opposite of "everyone" on here.

Lol. @40westwx has no idea how infection happens. The masks aren’t a guarantee against infection. They simply reduce the chance for infection by allowing fewer of the virus to be inhaled or expelled as aerosols  by you. Inhaling a single virus won’t make you sick. You need sufficient virus loading( or bacteria) to make you sick. 
For example, I work in food and beverage and design equipment to keep you getting food poisoning. The food you eat is still teeming with bacteria, however enough of it has been killed to prevent you from getting sick from it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Luke_Mages said:

Lol. @40westwx has no idea how infection happens. The masks aren’t a guarantee against infection. They simply reduce the chance for infection by allowing fewer of the virus to be inhaled or expelled as are sold by you. Inhaling a single virus won’t make you sick. You need sufficient virus loading( or bacteria) to make you sick. 
For example, I work in food and beverage and design equipment to keep you getting food poisoning. The food you eat is still teaming with bacteria, however enough of it has been killed to prevent you from getting sick from it.  

Thanks for the response. I really believe the masks and social distancing have helped in the schools. I mean, really, it's amazing how little Covid has spread in the schools. There are other factors involved in that as well...I really think Covid was spreading in schools last winter and we didn't realize it. Just some personal things I observed at my school...and have heard from others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Lol. @40westwx has no idea how infection happens. The masks aren’t a guarantee against infection. They simply reduce the chance for infection by allowing fewer of the virus to be inhaled or expelled as aerosols  by you. Inhaling a single virus won’t make you sick. You need sufficient virus loading( or bacteria) to make you sick. 
For example, I work in food and beverage and design equipment to keep you getting food poisoning. The food you eat is still teaming with bacteria, however enough of it has been killed to prevent you from getting sick from it.  

This is also the reason there are a lot of false positives with covid tests. Many people have tested positive/negative in the same day. This is because the viral load might not be sufficient enough to qualify for a positive covid test so in the same day you can test positive/negative depending on viral load and how much gets on the swab. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for the response. I really believe the masks and social distancing have helped in the schools. I mean, really, it's amazing how little Covid has spread in the schools. There are other factors involved in that as well...I really think Covid was spreading in schools last winter and we didn't realize it. Just some personal things I observed at my school...and have heard from others.

I mean Australia had next to no flu cases this year, the masks, social distancing, and washing hands work. Scientists might be smarter then us.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean Australia had next to no flu cases this year, the masks, social distancing, and washing hands work. Scientists might be smarter then us.  

Australians too. :P

I simply love the Aussies. I have had the honor of working with several during my life. And to think their amazing country started off with some criminals and convicts banished there....

2 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is also the reason there are a lot of false positives with covid tests. Many people have tested positive/negative in the same day. This is because the viral load might not be sufficient enough to qualify for a positive covid test so in the same day you can test positive/negative depending on viral load and how much gets on the swab. 

The problem as i see it is that this social distancing is negatively impacted the natural epidemiological process.  We keep hiding our healthy population from this virus and it slowly skip traces its way through the most vulnerable.. leaving tragedy in its wake... 

The longer we let this thing circulate the worst it will get. 

3 hours ago, 40westwx said:

I come from the school of life.. I can sniff out bs.  This whole thing smells to high hell.  Its about control and fear... our great grand children will be studying this period in world history as the time in which social media "crowd sourced" a pandemic by creating a snow ball that couldnt be stopped.

It will be cautionary tale.

The cautionary tale will be how demogoguery worked and propaganda sites laundered disinformation. Mostly driven by the need to have an exact answer that doesn’t exist, and not wanting to adjust their own reality.

So “they”...whoever “they” is....wanting “control” is an easy false narrative. The reality is more boring  - a society trying to figure out the balance of saving lives and keeping livelihoods. 

(Fortunately, most of us that understand weather modeling also understand how math shows us this is a huge problem when scaled over many encounters. And that reality exists even if things such as death rates are modest)

But people who get a high off of having an “alternative viewpoint” get an adrenaline rush. And yes, I know the red herring responses - those have been well developed. But that whole mindset might be the biggest thing that perpetuated this into a long slow burn. That is what history will frown upon 

I think there has to be much caution with "exposing as many young people as possible." Not sure what age bracket you consider as "young" though? For people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, Covid has been showing to cause some life-long damages to their bodies. This is that balance where I don't think young people should be forced to expose themselves just to increase contact and immunity, especially with the damage that can be done. The college students at these "college Covid parties" haven't exactly been helping this cause much. Like Burghblizz said above, we are trying to find that "fine line" of how to respond to this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Rules for Thee... Not for Me!

BA6D2A85-5605-4633-816E-97F52A8D0A89.jpeg

Pretty sure that's fake news. This is how conspiracy theories start and how Trump is able to control so many people with it.

The protestors, Terese said, also told her that Cuomo may have had his 89-year-old mother with him during this visit, something that seems strange on the face of it.

Defenders of Cuomo have said it is impossible that Cuomo was in Western New York since he did an Albany radio show at noon that day.

Further, the idea that Cuomo’ would bring his 89 year old mother with him lends an air of utter improbability to the story, they say.

Artvoice contacted State Police and Amherst Police and were told by both that, as far as they knew, Cuomo was not in the area on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brentrich said:

are you that stupid? Of course it's low because it's weekend and after thanksgiving where everybody is out. Just wait until next week when it will skyrocket. Stop the hype please. thank you 

Please explain why the positivity rate would be lower simply because it’s the weekend?  You do realize these tests were administered an average of 2-4 days ago and the results are just now being reported by the health department right?  

Results for the past 7 days... 

379F3BCB-2FC6-41C1-B969-F89F78E4639E.jpeg

258A1464-6173-4A54-9C81-C50D3FACE573.jpeg

C81B3FC2-0C80-4410-9026-DF48E341BFC9.jpeg

DBD85DBB-DC86-4AA5-8829-F0F2444F91A8.jpeg

942054F6-6B58-4E89-9F34-049ECF797ED5.jpeg

6C66A68B-ECE5-452A-84A4-13A7428C2022.jpeg

A55037BE-C028-453D-A493-29846013657E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, WNash said:

I don’t like Cuomo, but Artvoice has turned out a lot of BS and disinformation since it’s few reputable journalists started a different weekly. 

They actually just posted a retraction lol.  Never knew a conservative bought them out a few years ago.  Haven’t read an artvoice in probably 10 years... 

1B276C1E-913A-4A2F-AAC6-C1C680955784.jpeg

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic