• Member Statistics

    16,113
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
    Joined
Met1985

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Recommended Posts

Was a bit breezy and chilly yesterday morning above 5000’ while listening for turkeys gobbling.  Headed back up there later this morning to pick out an area for a campsite for next Friday evening, scout for the turkey opener next Saturday and do a little wild water fishing.3A606AEA-347A-4710-A06E-F05974397473.thumb.jpeg.30569f0591fbc3c032f713a33e8aa774.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Was a bit breezy and chilly yesterday morning above 5000’ while listening for turkeys gobbling.  Headed back up there later this morning to pick out an area for a campsite for next Friday evening, scout for the turkey opener next Saturday and do a little wild water fishing.3A606AEA-347A-4710-A06E-F05974397473.thumb.jpeg.30569f0591fbc3c032f713a33e8aa774.jpeg

Nice man! Yeah yesterday we got down to 31 degrees. It was refreshing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone go fishing today? I read that the resource commission wont be stocking as much this year due to covid.. The crowds have been crazy on the creeks since everyone is out of work almost..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished some wild water around 4000’ for maybe an hour but no natives caught it or seen.  4-5 miles and 1700’ elevation loss/gain has me beat.  Ready for next Saturday though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 12z GFS shows a cool down this weekend around the 10th that would bring highs diwn to the 40s and 50s and lows down around 30. Then it is showing a much more pronounced trough across the East around the 13th that would be a shock to the system and to the environment.  This is a big if but by the 14th and 15th we could see highs in the 40s and 30s and lows in the teens and 20s... that would be an extreme turn from this past weekend but it could happen. The GFS has been hinting at this for a few runs and the EURO kind of...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 06z GFS continues the same them of the overnight runs and it even has a bit of snow here and there. Currently this is a cold look for mid April and there is a lot of leaving going out. This will kill out a lot of stuff if not covered.  This is in the mid range to and also I give more weight to the GFS than the Euro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed the pleasant weather as we move forward with renovations of our home. New carpet arrives Thursday. So grateful to be in Haywood County at this time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both the GFS and the Euro are still showing a major cool down starting tomorrow and then an even bigger cool down around the 14th. The GFS is deeper and more stable with the trough in the east. Im hedging in the GFS side because recently it has done better with the medium range than the Euro. But we are going to see temps some 15 to 20 degrees below normal around the area and maybe a chance for some high elevation snows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Both the GFS and the Euro are still showing a major cool down starting tomorrow and then an even bigger cool down around the 14th. The GFS is deeper and more stable with the trough in the east. Im hedging in the GFS side because recently it has done better with the medium range than the Euro. But we are going to see temps some 15 to 20 degrees below normal around the area and maybe a chance for some high elevation snows. 

Yes, we are passed due for our annual killing freeze; you would think the plants would know by now that it happens every year:grinch:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Yes, we are passed due for our annual killing freeze; you would think the plants would know by now that it happens every year:grinch:

Yeah we already have some trees that have leafed out early and have been burnt... This pattern is pretty anomalous for April standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could see some high elevation snow tomorrow morning along with freezing temps. Then next weekend looks like we will see a prolonged cold spell for this time of the year with a bit of snow in the higher elevations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

You guys must be rocking up there. My station back home has had three gusts in the mid to upper 50's in the last hour.

Yeah we are getting some big gusts tonight here as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling for you guys, Tyler, Met, Bucket, Moto, etc.  This forum is where i come to extend my snow season.  I am actually very happy with this winter as we got almost 6 inches where i am here in N GA, but its always fun to track April snow.  I usually make one last trip up that way in April, but guess this year is a good one to stay home, so will be pulling for you and watching next week or so.   I pray we are all spared bad wx Sunday. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NGTim said:

Pulling for you guys, Tyler, Met, Bucket, Moto, etc.  This forum is where i come to extend my snow season.  I am actually very happy with this winter as we got almost 6 inches where i am here in N GA, but its always fun to track April snow.  I usually make one last trip up that way in April, but guess this year is a good one to stay home, so will be pulling for you and watching next week or so.   I pray we are all spared bad wx Sunday. 

Yeah Tim we appreciate you stopping by. I am hoping we can see some more flakes next week but we will see. Currently im very interested in the severe setup this Sunday.  Stay safe down there and stop by anytime lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

GFS still showing light snow for the 15th. Winter never got started, but it'll never die either.

Yeah it has been pretty consistent on showing some snow for Tuesday.  We will see. Its definitely going to stay below average for a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah it has been pretty consistent on showing some snow for Tuesday.  We will see. Its definitely going to stay below average for a bit. 
I'm within 2.75" of matching my winter 2018-19 snow total. Amazing considering I never received more than 3.5" in any single storm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buckethead said:

I'm within 2.75" of matching my winter 2018-19 snow total. Amazing considering I never received more than 3.5" in any single storm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

It really is. We have had a ton of small events...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.