Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Ah, so the colder trend leading in to the storm is happening.  GFS picked up on that this morning.  Is the NAM cutting back on the ridiculous 850's up to the NY border?

It makes it to NY west of us but only to Williamsport area eastern half of the state.  Very quickly reaches down post storm as mag has been pointing out. 

I barely can interpret a sounding.  However, after looking over the upper air temp (on the NAM) it shows that the warmest the temp gets at the primary measuring levels of 925, 850, and 700 millibars is +1 up until the point the precip cuts off (by 0Z Sun).  However, the sounding says that a small layer between 775mb and 850mb rises to 36F at 18Z.  It says temps are below freezing from 850 down to the surface and from 775 on up to 700.  So, that little portion of the atmosphere above freezing is what gives us (me) the sleet.  (I did the sounding from my location in Carlisle.)

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I barely can interpret a sounding.  However, after looking over the upper air temp (on the NAM) it shows that the warmest the temp gets at the primary measuring levels of 925, 850, and 700 millibars is +1 up until the point the precip cuts off (by 0Z Sun).  However, the sounding says that a small layer between 775mb and 850mb rises to 36F at 18Z.  It says temps are below freezing from 850 down to the surface and from 775 on up to 700.  So, that little portion of the atmosphere above freezing is what gives us (me) the sleet.  (I did the sounding from my location in Carlisle.)

That’s been my take from a couple days ago. We have a thin warm nose we are seeing in models and rates coupled with antecedent cold can help to keep this more frozen and less wet. I’ve never bought into the big snow totals (and still don’t after peeking g at 0z NAM.), but this has the look of a sleet fest for some of us. 
still keeping my win bar at 2-3” with sleet to be the icing on my snow cake. 

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

That’s been my take from a couple days ago. We have a thin warm nose we are seeing in models and rates coupled with antecedent cold can help to keep this more frozen and less wet. I’ve never bought into the big snow totals (and still don’t after peeking g at 0z NAM.), but this has the look of a sleet fest for some of us. 
still keeping my win bar at 2-3” with sleet to be the icing on my snow cake. 

Well, if the NAM’s are right, you would get your win & so would @Itstrainingtime from his original forecast that he made several days ago for this event of 2-4 inches of snow.

5 hours ago, daxx said:

I'm not sure of your exact location but your snow pics definitely show more than what mdt has recorded. Maybe you are at an higher elevation. 

HI THERE DAXX .THIS IS MENT TO TRY TO BE MORE OPINION THAN RANT. NO ELEVATION HERE THE YELLOW BRECHES IS ALMOST IN MY BACK YARD  WHAT HAS HAPPEND IS THAT THEY ARE  TAKING THERE NUMBERS FROM PUBLIC AND SCOIAL MEIDIA. MY QUESTIONS ARE HOW DO THEY PICK WHO TO TAKE THEM FROM HOW DO THEY KNOW ITS  CLOSE TO ACCURATE. HOW DO THEY KNOW IT WAS DONE CORECTLY HOW DO THEY KNOW ITS HONEST AND MORE. I COULD BE DEAD WRONG AND WONT MIND BEING EDUACTAED BY YOU GUYS BUT MY GUESS IS THEY DONT. I BET THEY TAKE THE MESERMENT BASED ON WHAT THE MASSES SAY . NOT THAT I USE A BORD OR ANYTHING BUT THE MASSES DONT KNOW HOW ARE WHEN . 99% OF THE POPULATION DOSE NOT KNOW HOW QUICK IT COMPACTS AND MELTS AND MESURES WAY TO LATE OR UNDER OR TO CLOSE TO THERE HOMES OR BUILDINGS. THEN UNFORTUANILTY BECAUSE IT GETS POSTED ON SOCIAL MEIDEA IT BECOMES THE WORD . THEN FROM THERE THE PEOPLE THAT SAY THEY LOVE SNOW BUT CANT EVEN STEP OUT SIDE TO MESURE EVERY HOUR OR TWO THEN TAKE THAT MISINFROMATION AT ITS WORD AND ACT LIKE THEY TOOK THE MESURMENT THEM SELF  . THEN IT MAKES IT HERE AND THE GUY THAT WAS OUT AND ABOUT  WITH HIS MESURING STICK FOR YOU  THE WHOLE EVENT GETS MADE TO LOOK LIKE A ASS. I TRY NOT TO BRING IT UP TO MUCH BUT THOSE OF US WITH ASD THE NUMBERS ARE EVERY THING. BAD NUMBERS BAD COLECTIVE. NOT MANY OF NATURES DETAILS GET BY ME WHEN I STEP OUT THE DOOR. I TRUST MY BRAIN AND DEDACATION MORE THAN THE MASSES ON FAKEBOOK OR A  LAZY STATE WORKER WITH A BORD. CELL PHONE AND COMPUTER LAZIENESS IS WHAT I CALL.

12 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

HI THERE DAXX .THIS IS MENT TO TRY TO BE MORE OPINION THAN RANT. NO ELEVATION HERE THE YELLOW BRECHES IS ALMOST IN MY BACK YARD  WHAT HAS HAPPEND IS THAT THEY ARE  TAKING THERE NUMBERS FROM PUBLIC AND SCOIAL MEIDIA. MY QUESTIONS ARE HOW DO THEY PICK WHO TO TAKE THEM FROM HOW DO THEY KNOW ITS  CLOSE TO ACCURATE. HOW DO THEY KNOW IT WAS DONE CORECTLY HOW DO THEY KNOW ITS HONEST AND MORE. I COULD BE DEAD WRONG AND WONT MIND BEING EDUACTAED BY YOU GUYS BUT MY GUESS IS THEY DONT. I BET THEY TAKE THE MESERMENT BASED ON WHAT THE MASSES SAY . NOT THAT I USE A BORD OR ANYTHING BUT THE MASSES DONT KNOW HOW ARE WHEN . 99% OF THE POPULATION DOSE NOT KNOW HOW QUICK IT COMPACTS AND MELTS AND MESURES WAY TO LATE OR UNDER OR TO CLOSE TO THERE HOMES OR BUILDINGS. THEN UNFORTUANILTY BECAUSE IT GETS POSTED ON SOCIAL MEIDEA IT BECOMES THE WORD . THEN FROM THERE THE PEOPLE THAT SAY THEY LOVE SNOW BUT CANT EVEN STEP OUT SIDE TO MESURE EVERY HOUR OR TWO THEN TAKE THAT MISINFROMATION AT ITS WORD AND ACT LIKE THEY TOOK THE MESURMENT THEM SELF  . THEN IT MAKES IT HERE AND THE GUY THAT WAS OUT AND ABOUT  WITH HIS MESURING STICK FOR YOU  THE WHOLE EVENT GETS MADE TO LOOK LIKE A ASS. I TRY NOT TO BRING IT UP TO MUCH BUT THOSE OF US WITH ASD THE NUMBERS ARE EVERY THING. BAD NUMBERS BAD COLECTIVE. NOT MANY OF NATURES DETAILS GET BY ME WHEN I STEP OUT THE DOOR. I TRUST MY BRAIN AND DEDACATION MORE THAN THE MASSES ON FAKEBOOK OR A  LAZY STATE WORKER WITH A BORD. CELL PHONE AND COMPUTER LAZIENESS IS WHAT I CALL.

Yea...I don't even have a Facebook.  Never will. I see you live near the Yellow Breaches.  One of my favorite streams to fish. I usually fish between Mt Holly and Williams Grove. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yea...I don't even have a Facebook.  Never will. I see you live near the Yellow Breaches.  One of my favorite streams to fish. I usually fish between Mt Holly and Williams Grove. 

I am at the very end of the breaches just befor it dumps into the SUSQ. I am not much of A trout fisherman but I do like to eat a fresh one here and there . My boy and I also usually stop and fish the trailer park and bridge just past the speedway once or twice a year . If you and @Wmsptwx like native trout that smaller creek that flows in there on the south west side is loaded but you have to wade through wiled rose and brambles to get to the hole . I have yet to find a sole that knows how many native trout live in that tiny ass creek that flows right by the Redland beer distributor .I call it bio mass creek. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

I am at the very end of the breaches just befor it dumps into the SUSQ. I am not much of A trout fisherman but I do like to eat a fresh one here and there . My boy and I also usually stop and fish the trailer park and bridge just past the speedway once or twice a year . If you and @Wmsptwx like native trout that smaller creek that flows in there on the south west side is loaded but you have to wade through wiled rose and brambles to get to the hole . I have yet to find a sole that knows how many native trout live in that tiny ass creek that flows right by the Redland beer distributor .I call it bio mass creek. 

Very interesting flathead may have to check that out, I love native fishing as well. Do you river fish often? I love smally fishing myself.

• Like 1

I used to but a few years ago I started building custom rods Then I started getting ideas from all these shrinking tek component's like smd leds and tilt sensors and Bluetooth . Once I realized I could get the rods to talk to the captain  I began innovating and it has ruined my fishing life and got me fighting for things I should have patented long ago . I put pics up here last year of me installing a tilt sensor in a rod but I knew no one would know what the picture was. lol I do stuff like that because I know some guys here think I am just a dumb crazy redneck its not true I am just crazy.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z GFS is starting to look like many of the runs from a few days ago that brought good snow to many of us.

The height of the storm in mid afternoon has moderate snow from around the turnpike & to the north from Carlisle & on to the east. 

The trend is our friend so far with the NAM & now GFS tonight!

C9A3E24E-BB71-415D-929E-4D0071CDD6E1.png

C39E3C03-8927-4E7F-B0BC-06CBE9023736.png

Squirrels and nuts

15 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

That’s really cool, I’ve never caught a flathead but on my list. I fish for channel cats often.

I loved Channel cat fishing as a youth but I always was upset we didn't have any species of cat that gets blue or flathead size . When I found out flatheads had been accidently introduced into the SUSQ my Channel days where done. My favirot places to fish are lake Aldred and conawingo res on the susq but I have been killing all kinds of fish in the Conawago in Conawago township and may now be my honey hole 

45 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@MAG5035

There is a nice snow shower rolling through Marysville. There is a light covering outside again. I might need to put .1 or .2 in the books for today between the 2 snow showers.

The snow shower action has stuck around longer tonight than I would have expected, and gotten pretty far into the LSV at times. Tried to do some measuring and I'm going to call it about an inch total for the snow this evening. Hard to measure because it was really blowing around when the squalls were moving through. A lot of the yard had 1.5-2" but the grass is still thick enough to skew that measurement. I finally made an actual 24" x 24"  snowboard that will be ready to be put out for Saturday's storm. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

The snow shower action has stuck around longer tonight than I would have expected, and gotten pretty far into the LSV at times. Tried to do some measuring and I'm going to call it about an inch total for the snow this evening. Hard to measure because it was really blowing around when the squalls were moving through. A lot of the yard had 1.5-2" but the grass is still thick enough to skew that measurement. I finally made an actual 24" x 24"  snowboard that will be ready to be put out for Saturday's storm. 

Thats pretty cool. I would like to make one also. I am assuming they are made form locust or cider not pine or oak. Do you know what wood they where traditionally made form in Pa ?