• Member Statistics

    15,757
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Chicago12
    Newest Member
    Chicago12
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
uncle W

NYC White Christmas's...

Recommended Posts

although some places around NYC saw a little snow for Christmas the city has not had snow on the ground Christmas morning since 2009...1966 is still the greatest Christmas eve storms that ended early Christmas morning...1961 had snow Christmas eve that ended around 11pm...1963 had a 6" storm on the 23rd that ended during the early morning hours on Christmas eve...for good measure it snowed for a few hours Christmas eve evening that whitened the 5" that was left on the ground...those three years growing up in 61, 63 and 66 have not been duplicated since...

year...snow on ground...dates of storms...
since 1876

1876.....1"

1880.....1-2".....

1883...12"+......5" 12/25

1884.....3".......3" 12/24

1892.....trace...

1896.....1-2".....

1902.......6.5" 12/25...

1904.....T-1".....3" 12/25...

1908.....trace........

1912.....11".........11.4" 12/24
1914.....trace........0.6" 12/24.....0.4" 12/21...
1917.......4"..........9.6" 12/12-14.....0.2" 12/17.....
1919.......3"..........2.8" 12/24-25.....1.9" 12/19.....2.1" 12/16-17
1924.....trace.......0.8" 12/24-25
1925.....trace.......0.2" 12/24-25
1929.......1"..........1.4" 12/23
1930.......2"..........3.9" 12/23-24...
1935.....trace.......0.4" 12/23.....0.4" 12/20.....1.6" 12/25-26
1945.......7"..........8.1" 12/19-20...3.2" 12/14...0.6" 12/10...rain Christmas night...
1947.......1"..........2.5" 12/23
1948.......5"........16.0" 12/19-20
1955......trace.......2.7" 12/22
1959.......4"........13.7" 12/21-22
1960.......1"........15.2" 12/11-12.....1.3" 12/19
1961.......6"..........6.2" 12/23-24
1962......trace.......2.7" 12/21-22......0.3" 12/25...rain Christmas night...
1963.......6"..........6.6" 12/23-24......1.4" 12/18.....2.3" 12/12
1966.......7"..........7.1" 12/24-25......1.2" 12/21
1967......trace.......1.0" 12/23....rain Christmas night...
1970......trace.......2.1" 12/21-23
1975......trace.......1.8" 12/22...0.5" 12/25...Rain Christmas night...
1980......trace.......1.0" 12/24...0.6" 12/23
1983.......1"..........1.0" 12/23-24
1993......trace.......trace 12/24-25
1995.......4"..........7.7" 12/19-20...0.5" 12/16...1.7" 12/14...1.5" 12/9...
1998.......1"..........2.0" 12/23-24
2000......trace.......0.7" 12/20
2002......trace.......trace 12/25...5" 12/25 after morning rain...
2009.......2"........10.9" 12/19-20....rain Christmas night...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newark NJ...since 1945...

2009...4"

2002...T

1998...1"

1995...4"

1993...T

1983...1"

1980...1"

1975...1"

1970...1"

1966...8"

1963...5"

1962...2"

1961...8"

1960...2"

1959...3"

1948...3"

1947...1"

1945...4"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Christmas 2002 storm was a doozy....with much of the snow falling in a 4 or 5 hour period from 4 - 9 pm.  Close to 8 or 9" in Nassau County with that one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LongIslandWx said:

The Christmas 2002 storm was a doozy....with much of the snow falling in a 4 or 5 hour period from 4 - 9 pm.  Close to 8 or 9" in Nassau County with that one.

Forecasted only an inch

 

Received 6 inches here in Brooklyn 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I remember it well if only that could happen more often on Christmas !!!!!!

I had snow on Christmas eve which turned into rain late at night.  I wasnt expecting  it to turn back to snow until late Christmas day for a few hours. 

I remember turning on TWC with Paul  Kocin and he was mentioning how the storm off the coast is bombing faster than modeled  and the rain will turn to wind driven snow for the NYC  area and that's exactly what happened. My family was stunned  when they went outside and they had to travel home.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Had you met your old lover in the grocery store as well?

You’re too young to get that reference but someone on here will. LOL

Way too young 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Had you met your old lover in the grocery store as well?

You’re too young to get that reference but someone on here will. LOL

How could I not. I watched Gene Autry sing Rudolph on B&W tv. This song of lost, found and lost love squeezes you at its end. As I said in a post a few minutes past midnight on the morning of the 25th last year, Happy Christmas and New Year to all and remember; it is better to be wrapped in red, green, silver and gold then your own tears. .....  and the snow just changed to rain, as always......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Had you met your old lover in the grocery store as well?

You’re too young to get that reference but someone on here will. LOL

Love that song even if he ruined it with that damn rain line lol

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Had you met your old lover in the grocery store as well?

You’re too young to get that reference but someone on here will. LOL

I'm way to young to remember that, but I met my old lover on the street last night.  And there wasn't any rain.

:oldman:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snow88 said:

I had snow on Christmas eve which turned into rain late at night.  I wasnt expecting  it to turn back to snow until late Christmas day for a few hours. 

I remember turning on TWC with Paul  Kocin and he was mentioning how the storm off the coast is bombing faster than modeled  and the rain will turn to wind driven snow for the NYC  area and that's exactly what happened. My family was stunned  when they went outside and they had to travel home.

The GFS if I remember right was showing big snow behind the low for days but it was mostly disregarded because the AVN/MRF merge had just occurred in recent weeks or months.  I had been telling people I was concerned somewhat about a surprise snow that night but was not that confident it would happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Christmas night 1976 was quite a treat for a snow loving kid.

Christmas night 1969 was one of the biggest disappointing storms of my life...the morning of the 26th was raining hard and I had to go to work in the slush...I got there soaking wet...it started to snow Christmas night and almost 6" accumulated before it changed to rain...that winter was full of disappointments...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, uncle W said:

Christmas night 1969 was one of the biggest disappointing storms of my life...the morning of the 26th was raining hard and I had to go to work in the slush...I got there soaking wet...it started to snow Christmas night and almost 6" accumulated before it changed to rain...that winter was full of disappointments...

Disappointment?..how many times has their been accumulating snow Christmas eve or Christmas day in our lifetimes?..I can count it on one hand and I'm 61..There were snow showers Christmas eve day too in 1969..I do remember the change to rain in the morning but I think it changed back to a bit of ice that night..All and all one of my favorite Christmas weather days as a kid..69-70 wasn't that bad..very cold January..but I think we had some bad luck and many storms went out to sea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KEITH L.I said:

Disappointment?..how many times has their been accumulating snow Christmas eve or Christmas day in our lifetimes?..I can count it on one hand and I'm 61..There were snow showers Christmas eve day too in 1969..I do remember the change to rain in the morning but I think it changed back to a bit of ice that night..All and all one of my favorite Christmas weather days as a kid..69-70 wasn't that bad..very cold January..but I think we had some bad luck and many storms went out to sea

any storm that changes to rain before reaching 10" is a waste...there was ice and a little snow the next day...that winter was filled with only if's...my favorite storm that year was the ice and snow the beginning of February....3" of snow on top of black ice...I saw the Allman Bros and the Grateful dead at the Fillmore East the night of the second snowfall later that month...the year before I saw Canned heat the night before the Lindsay storm...that winter started a nine year 10" or more snow drought and a bunch of dud winters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, uncle W said:

any storm that changes to rain before reaching 10" is a waste...there was ice and a little snow the next day...that winter was filled with only if's...my favorite storm that year was the ice and snow the beginning of February....3" of snow on top of black ice...I saw the Allman Bros and the Grateful dead at the Fillmore East the night of the second snowfall later that month...the year before I saw Canned heat the night before the Lindsay storm...that winter started a nine year 10" or more snow drought and a bunch of dud winters...

 

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

any storm that changes to rain before reaching 10" is a waste...there was ice and a little snow the next day...that winter was filled with only if's...my favorite storm that year was the ice and snow the beginning of February....3" of snow on top of black ice...I saw the Allman Bros and the Grateful dead at the Fillmore East the night of the second snowfall later that month...the year before I saw Canned heat the night before the Lindsay storm...that winter started a nine year 10" or more snow drought and a bunch of dud winters...

Unc, I was in college in Arkansas and read all about the Lindsey storm. i came Home just in time to enjoy the drought clear to my late youth/ earlp middle age. Based on your night of and before pattern, the snow lovers of the forum may make a collection to get you to another rock fest. As always

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one I really remember is 2002 and I'm not even sure if NYC proper saw that much snow. Started off as heavy rain, then we had a thunderstorm with lots of lightning and it started hailing and then slowly changed over to snow. And for the record it was definitely hail and not sleet because sleet doesn't fall the size of marbles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.