Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

25 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

this would be a slam dunk with a better airmass

Yeah, you can see how the models have been shifting for days on the P-type , locations, amounts, and temperatures. It’s enough to make some forecasters want to move to a warmer climate without P-type issues.;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

88 , help a brother out as I sucked at math never mind ZULU ( LOL ) IS 12Z = 7am ?

Probably dyscalculia. It was rarely diagnosed back in the day; a relatively intelligent person who can't make sense of math. Could be sitting in one class dissecting Moby Dick passages then walk into Algebra and within ten minutes be going WTF? So I rely on people here to interpret the technical stuff. Most do a good job IMO. After all these years I still gotta look up those times ( I know military times from having been a guard in college ).

• Like 1

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Probably dyscalculia. It was rarely diagnosed back in the day; a relatively intelligent person who can't make sense of math. Could be sitting in one class dissecting Moby Dick passages then walk into Algebra and within ten minutes be going WTF? So I rely on people here to interpret the technical stuff. Most do a good job IMO. After all these years I still gotta look up those times ( I know military times from having been a guard in college ).

I think its 7 or 8 am and yeah I know we are on a weather site but damn if I can remember or ever get it correct BTW there she blows !!!!!!

Model Diagnostic Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 207 PM EST Sat Nov 30 2019 Valid Nov 30/1200 UTC thru Dec 04/0000 UTC ...See NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) for the status of the upper air ingest... 12Z Model Evaluation with Final Preferences and Confidence ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ...Deep closed low tracking east from the Plains to the East Coast... ...Secondary surface low development south of Long Island... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Preference: near the 00Z ECMWF mean or a 3-way blend of the 12Z NAM/12Z GFS/ECMWF Confidence: Slightly above average ...19Z update... Previous thinking continues to hold true for this storm system, near the 00Z ECMWF mean, with the understanding that future model cycles will continue to make minor adjustments. A blended approach continues to appear best at this time. The 12Z UKMET/CMC remain different enough with their handling of the surface low and redevelopment off of the Northeast coastline Monday into Tuesday to exclude them from the WPC preference. The 12Z ECMWF trended a bit stronger and west with its triple point low redevelopment (tertiary low) Monday night toward the New England coastline. It now lies the west-most of the NAM/GFS/ECMWF combination and slightly west of the 00Z ECMWF mean. However, when incorporated into a blend with the 12Z NAM/GFS, the 12Z ECMWF is an acceptable blended component for this system.

39 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, you can see how the models have been shifting for days on the P-type , locations, amounts, and temperatures. It’s enough to make some forecasters want to move to a warmer climate without P-type issues.;)

It’s not far from the 12/5/03 case where the airmass was a little colder, and rain never made it to Long Island. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

I’d say NYC and northern LI get an advisory for now. 2-5” is a generally good range for this area, which could be higher if the banding does happen. 

Yeah assuming no massive 00Z shift my guess is at 4am they issue a WWA for monday afternoon and evening for 2-4 or something.  I'm not sure they won't issue one for tomorrow too from 10am-2pm just because its first event of year but technically the event tomorrow falls short of criteria

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Yeah assuming no massive 00Z shift my guess is at 4am they issue a WWA for monday afternoon and evening for 2-4 or something.  I'm not sure they won't issue one for tomorrow too from 10am-2pm just because its first event of year but technically the event tomorrow falls short of criteria

And tomorrow is such a busy travel day as well but really unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NAM seems the slowest of all the models.  The Euro by my interpolation had precip into NYC by 14-1430Z

If it comes in really heavy with the low dewpoints it will help with rapid evaporational cooling. Unfortunately the warm push is also very strong. I would not rule out an hour or two of very heavy snow/sleet though even down to places like the North Bronx/Upper Manhattan/North shore of LI