• Member Statistics

    15,927
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Hawkeyecr
    Newest Member
    Hawkeyecr
    Joined
Tyler Penland

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Next week looks awesome! Temps around 60 with sun.

Might have to hit some delayed harvest streams. I need a serious gear upgrade and have to get on it soon.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Might have to hit some delayed harvest streams. I need a serious gear upgrade and have to get on it soon.
I'm with you there. I need some new hip waders and to replenish my panther Martin collection. I donated about 20 spinners last season to various rocks. Maybe it's time I try a fly rod.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountain posters fishing trip in order it sounds like.  I’ll probably hit some wild water Saturday after doing some scouting for turkey season. and take the boat  out on Santeetlah on Sunday to finally check it out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

I'm with you there. I need some new hip waders and to replenish my panther Martin collection. I donated about 20 spinners last season to various rocks. Maybe it's time I try a fly rod.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
 

Been fly fishing all my life. You'll donate just as many flies if not more, to various trees. Lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Been fly fishing all my life. You'll donate just as many flies if not more, to various trees. Lol.

Don't forget the underwater tree stump collection. I've donated many streamers and nymphs to the bottom of mountain streams lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty close in my prediction.

 

Avery-Madison-Yancey-Mitchell-Swain-Haywood-Graham-
Including the cities of Banner Elk, Newland, Luck,
and Waynesville
334 PM EST Thu Mar 5 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM FRIDAY TO 10 AM
EST SATURDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of up to 5
  inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Elevations above 3500 feet over the North Carolina
  mountain Counties along the Tennessee border.

* WHEN...From 1 AM Friday to 10 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions from snow and black
  ice with temperatures below freezing. The hazardous conditions
  will likely impact morning commutes. With soils already moist
  from recent rainfall, gusty winds could bring down some trees
  and power lines.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what do you guys prefer to use for trout? I fish the Cane, Toe, and Nolichucky rivers mainly and everything but muskies goes after these things. Even catfish and snakes lol. I've read that some people have even gotten muskies to hit them, but I haven't. f06db972435f489d1cc8fe1e649eb118.jpg&key=f27d3d720f311098541d9b58426604a0fcab7a43f665ede395ea4aab10f9ad65

 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to fly fish for then or even when using my spinning gear I’ll throw flies.  Trout magnets work good too and I don’t see why a brown wouldn’t hammer that.  Bet it’s killer on the smallies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully the rain has held off the past couple of days allowing for progress on the new deck. Hopefully we can get the inspection in tomorrow so that further progress can be made before wet weather returns next week. Fingers crossed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luckily said:

Rapala plugs , big browns, big rainbows.

I have caught big brown, smallmouth,  walleye and more on a brown trout rapala minnow. It's so much more exciting fishing with plugs than live bait or even spinners 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like its moving in-within the next 5 to 6 hours...maybe more than 4 above 4000'

Surprised there's not more chatter about this...guess everyone is ready for spring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WeatherHawk said:

Looks like its moving in-within the next 5 to 6 hours...maybe more than 4 above 4000'

Surprised there's not more chatter about this...guess everyone is ready for spring

I know I'm trying to get pumped for a 4 incher and everyone is talking about fly fishing lol.  It's all good of course.  This one looks decent (i'm selfishly focused on NW mountains) but upside potential seems a bit limited and it looks to be wrapping up quick tomorrow night.  Not sure what the ski resorts did to appease the snow gods but they get rain on the weekdays and snow and cold at the end of the week.  Pretty remarkable actually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Mountain posters fishing trip in order it sounds like.  I’ll probably hit some wild water Saturday after doing some scouting for turkey season. and take the boat  out on Santeetlah on Sunday to finally check it out.

I'll be on Santeetlah Saturday!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are fish bigger than trout stuck between the teeth of the ones I catch. Two words my people; salt and water. :scooter:Although I do love a smoked trout sandwich. 

Been a beautiful evening. Decent chill in the air, calm wind. Nice moon.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Phelps said:

I know I'm trying to get pumped for a 4 incher and everyone is talking about fly fishing lol. 

If you're pumped about a 4 incher, wait until you catch a 20 incher........... wait, we're talking about snow now aren't we? :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The orientation of this event looks more like the true NWF events. The northern mountains may do better than the smokies and other areas that were racking up with the other events. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wncsnow said:

The orientation of this event looks more like the true NWF events. The northern mountains may do better than the smokies and other areas that were racking up with the other events. 

You're right, most of the nwf events this winter have been more westerly oriented.  I'd like to see Boone get a good surprise.  Those folks have been left out so much this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

You're right, most of the nwf events this winter have been more westerly oriented.  I'd like to see Boone get a good surprise.  Those folks have been left out so much this season. 

With the way radar looks this could easily give us our biggest snow of the season if we don't lose too much to melting. GSP has 5" falling in Newland on their maps. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.