• Member Statistics

    15,844
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Chicago Storm

Mid-July Heat Wave

Recommended Posts

94 ORD and 95 MDW as of 2PM. PWK peaked at 97 thus far it appears.

Looks like up to 1-2 more hours of heating until OFB/storms hit. Should top out between 95-98 area wide.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Does anyone know if the Iowa State feed is down? BUFKIT data is from 7/18 when I grab data...

The ISU mesonet site has been down since about noon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Todays record is on the "lower" side at 97 (yesterday and tomorrows record is 100) so theres a shot.

Tied it 9 minutes ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockford tied their all-time record high min of 80 on the 19th.

That’s fairly impressive.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI hit 97 for the hottest temp of the year.  Their streak of AOA 80 degrees is now at 60hrs and counting.  

The streak ended after 65hrs.  There's probably been longer streaks there in the past, but I can't remember any longer than that.  Perhaps 1995?  It's pretty difficult it seems to keep temps AOA 80 even in the hottest setups.  The temp may stay pretty warm all night, only to quickly dip into the upper 70s around daybreak.  So a streak of almost 3 days is pretty impressive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toledo: High 97, low 74, average 86.  This was 12 degrees above average. This did not break the record of 102 (from July 20, 1930.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The streak ended after 65hrs.  There's probably been longer streaks there in the past, but I can't remember any longer than that.  Perhaps 1995?  It's pretty difficult it seems to keep temps AOA 80 even in the hottest setups.  The temp may stay pretty warm all night, only to quickly dip into the upper 70s around daybreak.  So a streak of almost 3 days is pretty impressive.  

It is actually the 3rd longest hourly 80 degree streak at MLI.  The 2 longer streaks happened in June 1931 and July 1936.  The 1936 streak went on for well over 200 hours... good luck breaking that one lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It is actually the 3rd longest hourly 80 degree streak at MLI.  The 2 longer streaks happened in June 1931 and July 1936.  The 1936 streak went on for well over 200 hours... good luck breaking that one lol

 

That's insane.  You'd think with the extreme drought and the lower humidity it would allow the temp to fall a bit more at night.  Shows just how insanely intense that heat wave was.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This period underachieved a bit and was shorter in duration, due to the continued MCS action and a flatter ridge than expected. It still produced the hottest day of the year though, along with the 80+ DP's and 110-120 HI's.

Day........ORD......MDW........Here
17th........92............91..............94
18th........87............87..............87
19th........93............94..............93
20th........95............97..............96
............................................................
90+..........3..............3................3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

 

That's insane.  You'd think with the extreme drought and the lower humidity it would allow the temp to fall a bit more at night.  Shows just how insanely intense that heat wave was.  

Looking at places like Cedar Rapids and Rockford in July 1936, they did drop into the 70s on those nights.  So it could've been a siting thing with MLI... not sure where the obs were taken back then.

Getting back to the recent heat wave, I'd say one of the more impressive aspects were the overnight mins.  We saw areas even outside of the most heavily developed spots not dropping below 80, which is not easy to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.