• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
June 2019 OBS

Isopycnic

Just a few hundredths here at the house, but this morning in Clayton it came down so hard I pulled into a parking lot until the heavy rain let up. All the new median curbing they've put on Bus. 70 through town just makes the water pond up worse than before the 'improvements'.

There is some stalling occurring between waves:

eLEX1T0T_o.gif

edit: continued radar view

6xVTLU8u_o.gif

Definitely a unique day temperaturewise!  There is a warm front on the move up near the Canada/US border which seems to have a powerful enough effect!

07_2_acttemp_1280x720.thumb.jpg.cc7e24b4c35f96f6b846bbb17b6dded2.jpg

4 hours ago, jburns said:

It's been raining for most of the day here but light and somewhat on and off.  Only 0.41" so far.

Well, that escalated quickly.  Pouring now with 2.35" so far.  My Vantage Pro message at the bottom of the screen says it's raining cats and dogs.

At 1055 PM EDT, Flash flooding will continue around greater
  Hickory as additional rounds of heavy rainfall overspread the
  region.  In addition, with rainfall totals piling up all across
  the unifour, flash flooding is likely to expand in coverage as
  well.  In several parts of the warned area, rainfall this evening
  has totaled as much as 6 inches, and localized additional one to
  three inches of rain could fall into the late night hours.

Some places could get 7-9 inches tonight with a pile more coming this weekend.

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Well, that escalated quickly.  Pouring now with 2.35" so far.  My Vantage Pro message at the bottom of the screen says it's raining cats and dogs.

4.74" was my total for the day.  Almost all since 7pm. Still raining but I think I am about to get a break.

Fortunately, the rain stopped shortly after 1:00 AM last night. So, I now sit at 5.16 inches since the Big Wet Weekend began. That's already at the upper threshold of what some of the global models were predicting for the entire thing. How big can we go?

Went back out this morning with the lull in the rain to more properly clear all my gutters. I have never cleared gutters after midnight before (like last night), but I was really worried about our basement flooding with all the rain just draining right along the walls. Fortunately, none of the finished areas have any water influx, as of yet. The crawl space has some wet block walls (from where gutters were not properly draining) but no standing water. I think we're ready for round two now. I'm not sure how we'll hold up for rounds three, four, ...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Radar starting to show a nice little sit and spin action dead over the triad.  I dont think we're outta the woods quite yet Burnsie.  Thankfully I live on top of a hill.  Might hit 6" by tomorrow morning.

Good call. 6.17" here. 

21 minutes ago, griteater said:

Lots of lightning firing in those cells from Athens to Augusta - moving NNE

It's starting to get that firehose look, aimed straight at the mountains. Meanwhile, further north we've been getting on and off sun with CAPE rising. I'm dubious the northern Piedmont will be the focus for the heavy rainfall until perhaps later tonight, but any slow moving cells will have some fuel to work with.

• Like 1

Crazy reports around Rolesville this afternoon

3 E Rolesville [Wake Co, NC] COCORAHS reports FLASH FLOOD at 2:10 PM EDT -- 7.30 INCHES FELL WITHIN 4 HOURS. FARM DAM OVER WASHED FIRST TIME EVER. FOOTBRIDGE OVER SPILL WAY WASHED AWAY.

5 SSW Rolesville [Wake Co, NC] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 4.63 INCH at 2:20 PM EDT -- SKYWARN SPOTTER REPORTED 4.63 INCHES OF RAIN BETWEEN THE TIMES OF 12:30PM-2:20PM.

3 ESE Rolesville [Wake Co, NC] PUBLIC reports FLASH FLOOD at 1:45 PM EDT -- SOCIAL MEDIA PICTURES REPORTED ROADWAY COLLAPSED ON MITCHELL MILL ROAD IN ZEBULON, NC.

At the moment lots of small areas of precip here but even those give heavy rain for 5 or 10 minutes before moving over. For instance, I just got 0.12" in about 6 minutes. It looks as if they are now beginning to expand and coalesce well before the already large areas of precip to the south move into the area.  Time to batten down the hatches for later this evening and tonight.