Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr
George BM

June Discobs 2019

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

That sun is wicked.  88 at home.  87 at IAD.  84 with a river wind at DCA.

The sun is brutal this time of year. It's amazing how fast it dries the soil out in my garden. I'm using straw to fight that. Hopefully these storms make it into the DC area this evening. 

28 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Fast mover, but still more than that.

About .4".  Badly needed for my yard.

Looks like more coming to your west... maybe some training for you?

29 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

The sun is brutal this time of year. It's amazing how fast it dries the soil out in my garden. I'm using straw to fight that. Hopefully these storms make it into the DC area this evening. 

Had nearly an inch of rain last Thursday evening, and over 5" in the last couple weeks, but my soil is already getting powdery. If you have well drained sandy/silty soil like I do, it only takes a few days with no rain this time of year. Ofc I also have big trees all around and they pull the moisture from the surface. I even have some brown grass in spots, and I don't have much to begin with. I hope my expansive clover field holds up, otherwise my yard will be mostly dirt by the fourth of July lol.

• Like 1

That low is tracking pretty far NW- too far for much of a squall line to get going in most of our region, esp given the timing much later.

So spits and sprinkles it is.

36 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Humidity went way up after the sprinkles here.  Currently 80/76. Was 85/69

Had a few drops here. Not bad out tho- 80/72. Was just outside watering my plants and (browning) grass and it felt quite comfortable. Not a single skeeter bite either. That's the best news.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Had a few drops here. Not bad out tho- 80/72. Was just outside watering my plants and (browning) grass and it felt quite comfortable. Not a single skeeter bite either. That's the best news.

Highest dp so far this year imby. I bet some select few see an overnight boomer B)

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Highest dp so far this year imby. I bet some select few see an overnight boomer B)

Few being the operative word lol. Best chance is probably your area into SE PA and maybe NE MD and N DE.

Latest HRRR run as a nice cell pretty close to my yard tho. :whistle:

23 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Few being the operative word lol. Best chance is probably your area into SE PA and maybe NE MD and N DE.

Latest HRRR run as a nice cell pretty close to my yard tho. :whistle:

I hope your right and I score later tonight.  It is really dry out there. 5 days here with very little rain, if nothing tonight add another 6 days to that to total 11 days. 

I will keep my hopes up for the weekend to get rainfall with the frontal passage. It is almost useless to even to water the lawn.  The evaporation and power of the sun now is just too much. Best to have the grass go dormant,  and not water incorrectly and cause even more issues. 

Once we get to later August when it does rain it seems to help more and last longer in the soil , as the sun is a bit weaker then, ( shorter days to a degree and somewhat less brutal sun angle ) 

We enter the dog days of summer this week. Woof :sun:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, frd said:

I hope your right and I score later tonight.  It is really dry out there. 5 days here with very little rain, if nothing tonight add another 6 days to that to total 11 days. 

I will keep my hopes up for the weekend to get rainfall with the frontal passage. It is almost useless to even to water the lawn.  The evaporation and power of the sun now is just too much. Best to have the grass go dormant,  and not water incorrectly and cause even more issues. 

Once we get to later August when it does rain it seems to help more and last longer in the soil , as the sun is a bit weaker then, ( shorter days to a degree and somewhat less brutal sun angle ) 

We enter the dog days of summer this week. Woof :sun:

I have had plenty of rain here, but the sun- and now combined with the heat- is overwhelming. Same thing happens every summer at this time- the areas in the yard that get the most sun burn to effing hell, and go to thatch. Not recoverable outside of reseeding in the Fall.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have had plenty of rain here, but the sun- and now combined with the heat- is overwhelming. Same thing happens every summer at this time- the areas in the yard that get the most sun burn to effing hell, and go to thatch. Not recoverable outside of reseeding in the Fall.

Yep, it is a bummer. I can relate. I am happy made it this long with green grass and not having to water flowers and others plants . So begins the watering chores and all the lovely things that go with it like :

Bee stings, and more bee stings...more so wasps and other varieties   

Skeeters, ...hate them !!!!!!!

Breathing dust and dirt 

Sweating like I am in the tropics 

Velvet ants ( a wasp ) cruising by my feet ( please don't bite me )

Cicada killers trying to intimidate me  by dive bombing me  ....

My hose crimping up and the water coming to a stop followed quickly by me saying,    what the F 

Eh,  I am happy to be a live , all the above is cool with me LOL  !! Getting outside is still  enjoyable to me.  It is like an adventure out there this time of year.    

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, yoda said:

Looks like more coming to your west... maybe some training for you?

Nah, didnt get anything else.  A couple lines out in WV now, maybe some will make it over the mountains tonight.  Looks like the last chance for several days, at least, so hope it delivers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Nada here.

Just a hot and dry week ahead.

Damn,  looked good out West  at 330 AM when I woke up.  Then it went POOF !  Even .25 would have been nice but only a trace here. 

All of Delaware basically missed it.  The dry days now start to add up. Well, less grass cutting but more watering.  I hope @Eskimo Joe  straw system I have down helps with the dryness. So far, so good. 

Hey @C.A.P.E.  is this sudden dry and hot weather similiar to last year at this  time or was that a bit later in July.  I recall I  went without rain for about 16 days and then the pattern changed and the rains and dews came from that point on.  The grass fungus started after that as well. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ended up with .72" from that line that came through after 1am.

WOW, congrats ! 

• Like 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Had 0.18”. Sounded like more...woke me up.

You must of had a 3 minute deluge then :D.Yea ...I've only had 2 decent showers the past 2 weeks and both woke me up in the middle of the night 

51 minutes ago, frd said:

Damn,  looked good out West  at 330 AM when I woke up.  Then it went POOF !  Even .25 would have been nice but only a trace here. 

All of Delaware basically missed it.  The dry days now start to add up. Well, less grass cutting but more watering.  I hope @Eskimo Joe  straw system I have down helps with the dryness. So far, so good. 

Hey @C.A.P.E.  is this sudden dry and hot weather similiar to last year at this  time or was that a bit later in July.  I recall I  went without rain for about 16 days and then the pattern changed and the rains and dews came from that point on.  The grass fungus started after that as well. 

I know it was a good chunk of July but not sure when it set in. Needless to say it was the worst time for a hot dry spell, and for the umpteenth time, did in much of my grass. That's what finally got me motivated to start on the fire pit surround- mostly an attempt to further shrink my grass area. More mulch/plants/stones, and less lawn to constantly reseed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I know it was a good chunk of July but not sure when it set in. Needless to say it was the worst time for a hot dry spell, and for the umpteenth time, did in much of my grass. That's what finally got me motivated to start on the fire pit surround- mostly an attempt to further shrink my grass area. More mulch/plants/stones, and less lawn to constantly reseed,

That makes a lot of sense to reduce the need for reseeding.   

As for future rainfall in July and August hard to make a call.  

I know I read Don S in a recent update referring to the SOI index. I believe he stated recent activity in the index matching previous years  resulted in 4 out of 6 years being a Nino the following Fall into winter.  

I know Ben posted this :

About .35 from last night's storm.  Weakened considerably upon arrival, but got an hours worth of moderate rain.  Nice drink for the grass and plants.  Finally broke the dry streak yesterday.  Hopefully, the remainder of this week doesn't start another.

35 minutes ago, frd said:

That makes a lot of sense to reduce the need for reseeding.   

As for future rainfall in July and August hard to make a call.  

I know I read Don S in a recent update referring to the SOI index. I believe he stated recent activity in the index matching previous years  resulted in 4 out of 6 years being a Nino the following Fall into winter.  

I know Ben posted this :

It would be nice if the Nino persists into fall and early winter. Models generally either have a weak Nino or trending to neutral towards fall. Last time I looked at the CPC ENSO update it had odds of a Nino persisting into fall at around 50%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Ended up with .72" from that line that came through after 1am.

damn, only .3 for me. 

I picked a great week to get out of town, going to be low 80s in Farmington the rest of the week... enjoy yalls heat wave! :bike:

• Like 2

As we exit June in a few days and go into July wonder whether the CFS has any real clue here with this forecast.  Most times I tend to find it runs warm, so this is a but unusual. 

I would have thought the hopes of an East Coast trough to be low and blocking to run its course by early July. Even with blocking in the summer, it  is not associated with any cool(er) weather here from what I researched. Now maybe the effects of the Nino might have a role.  Also, any far Western Pac re-curving typhoons might have an impact, not sure. 

Even the cold pool was getting warmer in the NW Atlantic, however, I did see signs of a warming NE Pac. 

Anyway, plenty of time to watch things in a sensible manner.