Jonger

2018 - 2019 Outdoor sports forum

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Jonger said:

Myself and one other were rescued Sunday night in the Huron mountains. There will be a news story on the situation soon. Put it this way.... 60 mph winds, 2 stuck snowmobiles and 15 miles from anything except the Eagle Mine. 

Snow was 6 feet deep with 10 foot drifts.

We both had hypothermia.... I started accepting we were going to freeze to death.

Thanks to Allen and Ryan from the Eagle Mining company for saving our asses.

 

Jonger, wow!  WTF were you thinking even being out?  I didn't feel safe walking to the end of my driveway the other night! It's too deep to ride... heck it's too deep to even snowshoe.  Two people have died within 5-10 miles of my house since I've been here as a result of getting lost or stuck and then freezing to death. One of the guys was up by Eagle, too.  The remoteness and inaccessibility of this area, especially in the winter is nothing to take so lightly.  This a wilderness, you know that!

June last year, I was at a friends camp near the Silver Lake Basin (probably not far from where you were stranded as the crow flies) on a beautiful, sunny 65 degree day, wearing only short sleeves and decided to take a little hike alone.  30 minutes in, clouds and a north wind moved in. 10 minutes later it was 34, foggy, misting, wind was blowing.  I got cold, panicked, got turned around, no cell service.  I was shivering and shaking, and I too, for brief moments thought I could die.  The regret that just poured through me was awful.  To die from making such an innocent, stupid mistake.  I never want to feel that again.  If not for my wonderful better-half and the other guys at camp laying on their truck horns, it may have ended differently for me.  One of the best lessons I have learned living here- respect what can kill you.

Glad you are okay.  Good God!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes.  Glad you're ok.  I know some guys who are riding in Quebec on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence and got caught in this storm.  Too much snow on the trails so the SÛRETÉ DU QUÉBEC let them ride the road since it was closed to  non-emergencytraffic.  They did 110 miles on the road yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jonger said:

Myself and one other were rescued Sunday night in the Huron mountains. There will be a news story on the situation soon. Put it this way.... 60 mph winds, 2 stuck snowmobiles and 15 miles from anything except the Eagle Mine. 

Snow was 6 feet deep with 10 foot drifts.

We both had hypothermia.... I started accepting we were going to freeze to death.

Thanks to Allen and Ryan from the Eagle Mining company for saving our asses.

 

Scary stuff.  Glad things turned out relatively ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

What the hell. Jeez. Glad you're ok...but what the heck were you doing out in that storm...or were you out before it really got going?

It was actually mild when we set off. I knew the temp was going to drop, but didn't anticipate the drifting at that level. The snowflakes break up and traction is tough... a 137 with 1.25 lugs wasn't going to do the job.

If I only had snowshoes!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jonger said:

It was actually mild when we set off. I knew the temp was going to drop, but didn't anticipate the drifting at that level. The snowflakes break up and traction is tough... a 137 with 1.25 lugs wasn't going to do the job.

If I only had snowshoes!

Let me guess, next up is a 163” with 3” paddles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yoda said:

Wow. Jonger...I'm guessing you feel embarassed enough for people not to hound you, lol. But then again...you'd be forgiven for not taking the storm as serious as they said given that they say every storm up here is ove the top lately and ends up being just a nice dump of fluff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Wow. Jonger...I'm guessing you feel embarassed enough for people not to hound you, lol. But then again...you'd be forgiven for not taking the storm as serious as they said given that they say every storm up here is ove the top lately and ends up being just a nice dump of fluff.

Except this one was definitely modeled strongly well ahead of time, and everyone knew the wind potential with it. I mean going out in a blizzard to ride is one thing, going out in this blizzard to one of the most remote places in the state is another story.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Except this one was definitely modeled strongly well ahead of time, and everyone knew the wind potential with it. I mean going out in a blizzard to ride is one thing, going out in this blizzard to one of the most remote places in the state is another story.

Victim shaming! lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, (((Will))) said:

Victim shaming! lol.

Not in the slightest, but it isn't like Jonger is some general public guy. He is in tune to the weather, or I would like to hope so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stebo said:

Not in the slightest, but it isn't like Jonger is some general public guy. He is in tune to the weather, or I would like to hope so...

It's a joke. We're all happy he's doing good...but we'd be remiss to not shame him a little. That was a surprisingly short-sighted stunt to pull.

I don't even explore the Hurons/Porcupines in the summer without trepidation, let alone in a 970mb blizzard with 60+ winds, 60+ inches of snow cover and diabetes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moral of the story:

Quote

Vargo emphasized none of the snowmobilers on the trail Sunday were locals, and that it is important to heed official weather advisories and be prepared.

“Somebody’s going to risk their lives to save you,” Vargo said. “You’ve got to drive a line between safety and fun.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

Wow. Jonger...I'm guessing you feel embarassed enough for people not to hound you, lol. But then again...you'd be forgiven for not taking the storm as serious as they said given that they say every storm up here is ove the top lately and ends up being just a nice dump of fluff.

Nah... I'm not really embarrassed. I knew I'd catch some flak though. It happened, I figured people would be interested to hear about it. Especially in a weather community since it's very weather centric.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

Jonger is lucky they didn't name names. Not like they would need to in an area like the UP. Even people downstate will know what happened..I'd be mortified.

I told them to name the two guys who helped... they didn't even ask if we wanted to be named, the mine EMS said we would be "the 2 snowmobilers". The only part that's a bit exaggerated was the part where it said I collapsed.... the rest was pretty spot on.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a comment below the story:   

You are very lucky those other riders reported you or you would have died. How far off trail were your sleds or were you stuck in drifts on the trail?

Quote
 
Sherrie Patten
Funny, if it was NOT for my husband Brian and his Friend Joe who had actually dug out one thier sleds and realized they could not get the other sled out safely and needed reacure to come when they did. These men would not be here. The boys headed back to the rescue station immediately and gave them the location of the men on a map. My guys are very experienced riders and actually had saved 4 other riders along with these 2 men, but they we're able to get 3 of thier 4 sleds out and the 4 guys to safety Sunday night. I do realize it took a very big effot to get these men out alive. But literally with out thier location and a sled head light they would NOT be here. The 2 guys from Michigan found Joe and Brian at the Big Bay motel that night and thanked them profusely for getting them help and saving thier lives. 
Thank you to search and rescue for thier efforts but your missing half the story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are ok. Does your snowmobile have an emergency pack? I love snow but the older I get the more respect I have for it - especially when it's over a foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil change is done..... Alarm is set for 5am. Heading up the the eastern U.P

Maps show 30+ inches in spots.

Hyped.

Got heated gloves now with 2 sets of batteries to use when it's ultra cold or for emergencies. Getting a satellite phone, but not for this weekend. Ontario...... there's spots so remote it's crazy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy! Yeah, looks like you'll have some fresh and deep snow.

Will be snowmobiling in the UP around Bergland/Ontonagon for MLK weekend...looking forward to it.  A bit too far out to hone in on the forecast up there for Jan 19th-20th...but looks like it will be safely below freezing with no snowpack loss. :snowman:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie question here...

Anyone have any good recommendations for snowmobile rental near Marquette? Looking for a half a day rental type thing. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mimillman said:

Newbie question here...

Anyone have any good recommendations for snowmobile rental near Marquette? Looking for a half a day rental type thing. Thanks.

Timberline Sports in Bergland, MI is the closest I’m aware of and have been to...but still quite a ways from MQT. May want to try Marquette Powersports in Negaunee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Timberline Sports in Bergland, MI is the closest I’m aware of and have been to...but still quite a ways from MQT. May want to try Marquette Powersports in Negaunee. 

Munising Snowmobile looks decent and is only 45 minute drive from Marquette. Have you been there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 9:34 PM, mimillman said:

Munising Snowmobile looks decent and is only 45 minute drive from Marquette. Have you been there?

Fear the Shingleton stretch. 

Although it wasn't too bad last weekend.

Just dropped $699 on a 2-up seat for my snowmobile... taking my daughter Saturday up to Gaylord most likely. This is first time on a real ride on trails.

She joined a ski club at school, so the cost of gear will be justified by that usage alone.

Good thing I have 4X4.... Expecting a foot in Gaylord on top of the snow they already have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Fear the Shingleton stretch. 

Although it wasn't too bad last weekend.

Just dropped $699 on a 2-up seat for my snowmobile... taking my daughter Saturday up to Gaylord most likely. This is first time on a real ride on trails.

She joined a ski club at school, so the cost of gear will be justified by that usage alone.

Good thing I have 4X4.... Expecting a foot in Gaylord on top of the snow they already have.

I have about 18"OTG Im near LON and we have more than main Gaylord per usual. As you can imagine I was out this evening running errands in town and their are a Ton of sledders already up here I fully expect the trails this weekend to be a zoo.  I think 3-6" tonight-tomorrow then another 6-12 Saturday through Monday. My area does realty well with a NW or WNW flow setup which we will have a pretty prolonged event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our group planning to base out of Munising to ride the 23rd, 24th and 25th. Looks like some mild temperatures around that time so I'm thinking loose fitting/shed the layers the way to go as the day warms up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.