Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

29 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Early estimates continue to place snow amounts between 10 and 20 inches across the mountains, foothills Piedmont northwest of I-85. Local 20+ amounts are possible across higher east facing mountain and foothill locations. Dangerous freezing rain and sleet accumulations in excess of one half an inch continue to be possible with the high totals and therefore impacts between I-85 and I-40 outside of the mountains. Although latest model trends suggest areas closer to I-85 might have the most cause for concern.

Good lord Almighty that some strong language! 10-20" NW of I85... Wow 

I just wonder how much fighting on the lower level some will need to do. 

• Like 1

Just ran a meteogram for Asheville and it is showing a model average of 4.5 inches (it was showing over 8 inches yesterday); don't know if it is out to lunch or really what to make of it (link below): [sleet-freezing rain cutting totals along with lower QPF?]

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kavl&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=11&max_t=on&cobb=on&compaction=on&mean_mt=on&max_mt=on&mean=on

23 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Just ran a meteogram for Asheville and it is showing a model average of 4.5 inches (it was showing over 8 inches yesterday); don't know if it is out to lunch or really what to make of it (link below): [sleet-freezing rain cutting totals along with lower QPF?]

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kavl&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=11&max_t=on&cobb=on&compaction=on&mean_mt=on&max_mt=on&mean=on

Ignore this.  Look at QPF instead, then do your own 7:1 ratio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Wow! Does it have an output for KFQD?

Yes sir!  

Probability of 12" of snow is 84%.  Greater than 24" is 12% chance.

BTW, Euro ensemble mean for KAVL is 22", with the upper end being 28" and the lowest being 15".  Boone mean snowfall is 17", with a range of 7 to 27".  Rutherfordton mean snowfall is 17" with a range of 9 to 27".

46 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Booked a 2 night stay in AVL, should be fun.

Id go to bursville higher elevation US 19 takes you to 26 within a few miles hard to beat for a higher elevation the french broad valley gets dry slotted too to me its worth driving 20 mins up the road to somewhere along 19 in the high country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McDowell_Weather said:

Id go to bursville higher elevation US 19 takes you to 26 within a few miles hard to beat for a higher elevation the french broad valley gets dry slotted too to me its worth driving 20 mins up the road to somewhere along 19 in the high country.

Generally with this setup, the French Broad River Valley only gets dry slotted around N AVL heading into Madison County. In Transylvania County heading into NW Henderson County, those people usually get hammered.

3 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Generally with this setup, the French Broad River Valley only gets dry slotted around N AVL heading into Madison County. In Transylvania County heading into NW Henderson County, those people usually get hammered.

I feel pretty lucky to live on the east side of Stoney Mountain in Henderson (near Hendersonville). From what I know, it's about 2800 feet up, I'm about 3/4ths the way up. 

Just now, AirNelson39 said:

Let’s hope this is just the NAM being the NAM. We really haven’t had any of the models “lose” the storm yet and we are around that 3 day window where we typically get some funky runs. Might as well be the NAM that does it.

That's where I find solace right now. If it were one of the global models, I'd have one foot over Looking Glass. However, it was the NAM.

• Like 1