Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Doldrums - Summer in full effect Pattern and Model Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Aug 1988 and then more recently 2001 were more impressive for BOS than this current stretch for dewpoints (and had the heat to match too)...both were regularly putting up 76-79F dewpoints. BOS maxed out at 76F for one hour in this current stretch. Definitely very muggy, but empirically it just doesn't stand up to those other two.

Before people get all bent out of shape, I had already called this stretch very impressive...probably our best since 2010 (though July 2013 may have a case to be made)...but I feel the need to put it into context when anyone claims that it was some sort of historical record-breaking airmass in SNE. It wasn't. You would have to go up into NNE (and west of your location) before we start talking in those terms with empirical evidence to support it.

BOS had 2 straight days of this where they peaked at 77F dews. Looks fairly similar to 2001 to me. Go a little inland and I think this was worse.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

How long ago was the temperature facet dropped from blizz criteria?  I've had just 4 qualifiers in my 20 winters here - 12/6-7/03, 12/21-22/08, 1/27-28/15, and 3/14-15/17.  If the below-20 requirement were still in effect, only the middle 2 would've fit, though 03 was close.

Yeah ...that very well could be a participant factor with that 'changing culture of assessment/practice' and so forth.  

I don't think it's 'all' though ...  Like Will and PF and I were just reminiscing, there's been increased large snow events - haha, kinda sorta gotta have snow to get to a Blizzard warninig, huh ... so perhaps the canvas is sloped in favor, additionally.  

Take temp out + increased events with choking fall rates = very low visibility favoring.

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Don’t try to argue. Not worth it 

Would be nice instesd of your "opinion" you back up your original statement that this was the worst combination of HHH in SNE history. 2013 was worse based on quantitative analysis. Good luck on next week being worse than last for HHH for a week, until then enjoy the COC weekend 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Would be nice instesd of your "opinion" you back up your original statement that this was the worst combination of HHH in SNE history. 2013 was worse based on quantitative analysis. Good luck on next week being worse than last for HHH for a week, until then enjoy the COC weekend 

I agree with you. This heatwave was not a widespread historic heatwave. In Methuen there were 2 days that held in the 80's.

It must be like child birth. In the moment, it sucks and most women think they will never do it again. But the further removed they are in time from DDay, the emotional memory dulls and then they are lured into they zone of, yeah it wasn't the greatest but I could do that again...jokes on them, sadly, because the next birth they end thinking, omg why did I decide to do this again???

Same with weather events,

in-the-moment emotions are the strongest and you end up thinking this current weather event is the greatest of any that have ever happened in the past.

But that's why we save data, so we can compare facts instead of emotions

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We have been talking about all of interior SNE. Dews , longevity , temps combo. Historic . Done

:huh:

All of SNE?  Where's your data to backup that statement?  Without data, it's just an opinion.  Others have posted dates and data and not just statements.  Where's yours?

29 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I agree with you. This heatwave was not a widespread historic heatwave. In Methuen there were 2 days that held in the 80's.

There's dissenting opinions everywhere... There are places in the interior where they did not benefit from those marine hybrid afternoons... so, naturally, to them, it was widespread.

To you "This heatwave was not a widespread, historic heatwave" ... which is true anyway? ...But it's not true because of what happened in Methuen...  Not tryin' to pick an argument there, but it certainly could have been both widespread and historic, yet you could have still been left out because of your relative close proximity to ocean up your way. 

As far as Kevin keeping on typing the word "historic"  ... just don't pay attention. 

Based upon the tenor over the course of this thing... it's fair to say that for some it was historically horrible to endure, but that's not a metric that's kept at NWS or NCDC or anywhere other than internet social media disagreements... 

So we're in this wedge of sun and still air that's astride the front side of the front and though it's 85/78 on the Davis' in town... (good for 98 HI)... it's not really miserable right now because they are Davis'

Is that the going motif ?

I’ll add that I agree that this wasn’t anything record breaking for a lot of SNE. It’s tough to rank dews to begin with and then you can add in differences in instrumentation over the years...sling psychrometers to chilled mirrors, etc. This was definitely high end though. Does an event have to be record breaking to be historic though? Now we’re really getting into subjectiveness. 

Bottom line is the dews were over the top and sucked to deal with. It reminded me why I can’t move to the deep south. CAA FTW today.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not yet Mr all cluck all the time. We vacay with the best of them. So your saying you agree with Kevin next week is worse than last? Dude too much inhaling the chicken poop dust.

If next week is as bad as this one I’ll eat my own arm off.