Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, buckeye said:

Honestly I'd be more surprised if the nam didn't pull this at some point...especially an 18z run.   Is the nam sniffing a last minute shift...

Or is the nam being the nam?  My money on the latter.

I was about to throw away any lingering hope for Athens (which would require a decent NE shift) given the trough/confluence downstream of this storm over the northeast.  I tend to agree this is probably just NAM noise...if it’s not I’d expect the globals to catch on 0z as we aren’t that far out at this point. 

Last night I felt the main band would be northeast of us, and now it's possible the heaviest could be a bit southwest of us more towards the QC.  That's usually a good problem to have, so I'm starting to feel more confident of a nice 5"+ cement event.  8"+ certainly looking possible in the heart of where the main axis sets up.  

54 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fairly stout easterly 925 mb flow in the snow area.  Granted it may be tough to even mix to that level.

NAMMW_925_spd_045.png.47dc12ca52df450442179388ba100eed.png

Yeah 50kts not far off the deck with heavy precip.  Could get some 45mph gusts, and if there is any convective element I suppose gravity waves could be possible with even higher gust potential.  Wondering if the frisky winds may actually help reduce power outages to some extent.  With winds staying up it may actually keep a lot of the snow from sticking to the smaller branches/twigs.  Something to consider anyway.

23 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Last night I felt the main band would be northeast of us, and now it's possible the heaviest could be a bit southwest of us more towards the QC.  That's usually a good problem to have, so I'm starting to feel more confident of a nice 5"+ cement event.  8"+ certainly looking possible in the heart of where the main axis sets up.  

I'd  love to see you get a nice hit.

23 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah 50kts not far off the deck with heavy precip.  Could get some 45mph gusts, and if there is any convective element I suppose gravity waves could be possible with even higher gust potential.  Wondering if the frisky winds may actually help reduce power outages to some extent.  With winds staying up it may actually keep a lot of the snow from sticking to the smaller branches/twigs.  Something to consider anyway.

Timing might be a factor... like how much snow comes down before the stronger winds arrive.  Not sure... haven't really looked closely enough to see how those details line up.

18z RGEM did have a substantial shift north from 12z run, probably similar in distance of shift to NAM, but since it was much farther south with 12z run, outcome was not NAM like. Just very impressive in the heavy snow swath, particularly across northeast IA and the QCA. I think the potential is fairly high for a narrow swath of 8"+ amounts with locally 1'+, most favored in northeast IA and western/NW IL.

My gut feeling is that here in the west and southwest Chicago burbs north of 80, we have a near miss to the south with probably some minor accums, and little/none in Chicago proper. With that being said, the lingering differences in the operational models and large ensemble spread (especially in SREF) means that uncertainty is still rather high. It can almost be looked at as the individual operational runs fitting within the ensemble spread even including 18z NAMs.

If I were to assign arbitrary probs as things stand now, I'd say 60-70% favored consensus swath plays out, 20-30% the axis shifts northeast and we get into solid accums in this part of Chicago area, and 10% or less something like the 18z NAM happens. Hopefully partial sampling of southern wave this evening for 00z suite and full sampling for 12z runs better clears things up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

18z RGEM did have a substantial shift north from 12z run, probably similar in distance of shift to NAM, but since it was much farther south with 12z run, outcome was not NAM like. Just very impressive in the heavy snow swath, particularly across northeast IA and the QCA. I think the potential is fairly high for a narrow swath of 8"+ amounts with locally 1'+, most favored in northeast IA and western/NW IL.

My gut feeling is that here in the west and southwest Chicago burbs north of 80, we have a near miss to the south with probably some minor accums, and little/none in Chicago proper. With that being said, the lingering differences in the operational models and large ensemble spread (especially in SREF) means that uncertainty is still rather high. It can almost be looked at as the individual operational runs fitting within the ensemble spread even including 18z NAMs.

If I were to assign arbitrary probs as things stand now, I'd say 60-70% favored consensus swath plays out, 20-30% the axis shifts northeast and we get into solid accums in this part of Chicago area, and 10% or less something like the 18z NAM happens. Hopefully partial sampling of southern wave this evening for 00z suite and full sampling for 12z runs better clears things up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21z SREF still looks like it has a more northern solution.  At least the mean. 

Just now, CoalCityWxMan said:

Has me right in the middle of a 14-16” jackpot. Never thought I’d see the day lol. 

But the cutoff sucks, wish something like the 18z would happen for your guys’ case

Never thought I'd say this in late March but I'd honestly consider a little road trip if something like that happened.  

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville, IL
952 PM CDT Thu Mar 22 2018

.UPDATE...

948 PM CDT

No changes to going Winter Storm Watch. An early look at the
latest available guidance largely supports the current Watch
counties. The 00z NAM features very significant 1"+ liquid
equivalent amounts in a good chunk of the watch counties, which
would indicate potential for very heavy snowfall rates and
widespread 8"+ snowfall amount should things evolve close to what
is depicted. It also portrays an exceptionally sharp cut-off over
the northeast third of the CWA due largely to low level dry air.
This cut-off has been well advertised.

However, have some concern off this run alone that the magnitude
of forcing, especially mesoscale from mid-level frontogenesis, and
resulting strong lift, would cause heavy enough snow aloft to
saturate the low levels in parts of the area under the dry air
cut-off, especially sufficiently inland of Lake Michigan. This
would include portions of the western/southwest Chicago metro on
Saturday morning. A good way to visualize this potential is with
the simulated Composite Reflectivity, compared to 1km AGL
simulated reflectivity or the actual QPF output, which shows
strong 25+ dbZ echoes well north into the CWA, but little/no
reflectivity at 1km level and little/no QPF for part of area under