March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Wwa here for 2-4"

2 minutes ago, swataz said:

Upton still has 7" for Western Suffolk to the Hamptons, so I'm still confused about a bust. Their discussion mentions there are still some deviations in the forecast track but they're not budging. 

Which models are still swinging wide right?

7” in western Suffolk isn’t a bad call at this point... even the UKMET has .50Qpf back to NYC... minor shift west would get a moderate snowfall into parts of the metro esp east of the Hudson. 

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

You know those people saying that "the coast has gotten lucky the past few years" blah blah forget that Western Long Island hasn't done all much better than average.  JFK snowfall hasn't been that much above normal, and the only two historic snowstorms we've had since 2000 are PD2 and Jan 2016. (historic defined as 20"+)

5 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

7” in western Suffolk isn’t a bad call at this point... even the UKMET has .50Qpf back to NYC... minor shift west would get a moderate snowfall into parts of the metro esp east of the Hudson. 

Right. The way some people are talking on this thread you'd think that the storm is going to miss the area completely. Not every storm is going to be 25" and blizzard conditions. This one's going to be bad enough considering the heavy wet nature of the snow. I lost power for 2 days during the last one.

Just now, swataz said:

Right. The way some people are talking on this thread you'd think that the storm is going to miss the area completely. Not every storm is going to be 25" and blizzard conditions. This one's going to be bad enough considering the heavy wet nature of the snow. I lost power for 2 days during the last one.

All it takes is 25-30 miles and NYC east is a 6” storm with some failing overnight making for a horrible morning commute. We’ll what happens today but I wouldn’t take it completely out of the realm of possibilities even the NWS is noting it with that potential high but low probability 

42 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

BTW what are they smoking.... I’d love to have some of it LOL

SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

They are saying that there is a 10% chance of anyone seeing that much snow.

For the record, they actually busted too low with the last storm with regards to this product in Western locations.

Good idea to expect nothing in NYC, anything more would be a bonus, especially accumulating snow which the UHI, in part, killed during the past 2 storms. (Yes maybe a bit of the subsidence issue too but areas in westchester that were also in that area accumulated noticeably more).

45 minutes ago, Paragon said:

You know those people saying that "the coast has gotten lucky the past few years" blah blah forget that Western Long Island hasn't done all much better than average.  JFK snowfall hasn't been that much above normal, and the only two historic snowstorms we've had since 2000 are PD2 and Jan 2016. (historic defined as 20"+)

How much snow did you have for December 26, 2010?

I would also argue that the North shore and South shore have very different long term climos. When people refer to the coast getting "lucky" they are generally referring to the South shore of LI and the far Eastern end which have all done very well the last 15-20 years.

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

NWS keeps upping things for Boston and I don't know why.... Yeah they're going to get smoked but upping to 12-22" when guidance is backing off? Could be banking on a more western track.

The Euro had 8-12" in Boston and that is off the Stormvista maps which are more conservative. They should be right on the edge of the heaviest banding, and a last minute shift back to the West could easily put them into the higher range of that forecast.

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

NWS keeps upping things for Boston and I don't know why.... Yeah they're going to get smoked but upping to 12-22" when guidance is backing off? Could be banking on a more western track.

They have to be. They still line 4 to 7 in SWCT yet no model shows this.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The Euro had 8-12" in Boston and that is off the Stormvista maps which are more conservative. They should be right on the edge of the heaviest banding, and a last minute shift back to the West could easily put them into the higher range of that forecast.

So take the high end of any guidance and double it?

9 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Oh well , this busted for me 

Sorry guys , I still like this out on ELI but that's no consolidation

Theres a chance for 5 on the Jersey shore C LI and SECT

Thats as far cry from the foot I liked there 7 days ago 

Happens 

Yeah a 'bust' on amounts but you saw the storm earlier than pretty much anyone else and stuck to your guns. The storm is still going to happen, maybe not with the intensity you thought but, a couple of inches causes chaos and mayhem in the metro area so your early call is still valid. A bust is only a bust if it doesn't happen at all and this one is only going to 'miss' by less than 100 miles and form 2 weeks out that's a pretty small margin to miss by. I say good job PB ;) 

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived