• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 1-3 -NAO Comeback Coastal Discussion/OBS

The Iceman

EURO prints out a paste job for most of SE PA. It is the clear outlier at this point as no other guidance shows this but is interesting as we head into 18z. The biggest flaw is really cold air. I don't really think we overcome the odds but we willed the last one back why not give this one a shot! :lol: 12z euro is going to shift the tide... 18z should be interesting at the very least and we can discuss the snow possibilities until the 00z euro takes it away...

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

EURO prints out a paste job for most of SE PA. It is the clear outlier at this point as no other guidance shows this but is interesting as we head into 18z. The biggest flaw is really cold air. I don't really think we overcome the odds but we willed the last one back why not give this one a shot! :lol: 12z euro is going to shift the tide... 18z should be interesting at the very least and we can discuss the snow possibilities until the 00z euro takes it away...

The Euro used to be quite good at this range, but who knows nowadays. At least we now have a close in threat to look at instead of just long range ones.

Per JB at WB

"Until tomorrow I dont think models will get a real handle on the snow that s going to occur with this feature. My take is there will be accumulating snow down the Mason Dixon line in the east, There is a northward adjustment in the midwest so it may miss Chicago, but the further east you get, the more likely this is going to turn to snow and try to thump for a while. There is a very big change on the GEFS ensembles. While the storm is a bit further north for a time, the 84 hour for Friday evening is a classic 500 mb to be blasting the daylights out of New England with backlash snows further west"

We actually spent the day taking off plows off the trucks without spreaders, 15 of them ha ha that would be hilarious if we are scrambling to put em back on tomorrow. My boss even got a report from Weather works that's who my company uses and there was no mention of snow until next week and it was only a slight chance. 

Euro and nam the models that give the best chance of some snow in our area. RedSky may get his inch.
Will be interesting to see what happens now that the hi res models are getting into range. Im not uber optimistic on this one as there is more working against us than for us (daytime when flakes expected to fall, bl rotting away and dependent on colder air wrapping in behind the system as it occludes and pulls SE, ragged precip as 700mb rh is shutting off due to occlusion, not happening on a weekend :-D ), but who knows? We do have Iceman's trusty EE rule in effect and the NAM bumped snowfall to 1-2" in SE PA so maybe we can eek out some minor incremental sloppy slushy grass accums to tack on to our seasonal tally. As always, fingers crossed.

NAM has been trending cooler and cooler the last few runs...will be very interesting to see what 12z says. Also am excited to see the mesos at 12z as well since they will be in range. I don't think we see anything significant out of this but the seasonal trend of 1-3" seems like an ok goal at this range. I do like we have a very dynamic system but everything ralph mentioned above are very valid concerns and are what hold this back... if we had just a bit of cold air in place this would be a MECS or at least a severe ice to snow storm....

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

NAM has been trending cooler and cooler the last few runs...will be very interesting to see what 12z says. Also am excited to see the mesos at 12z as well since they will be in range. I don't think we see anything significant out of this but the seasonal trend of 1-3" seems like an ok goal at this range. I do like we have a very dynamic system but everything ralph mentioned above are very valid concerns and are what hold this back... if we had just a bit of cold air in place this would be a MECS or at least a severe ice to snow storm....

It seems that one of the things we've missed this winter is a nice cold high to our north previous to our snow events. We've had to rely on dynamics for cooling.

Just now, wkd said:

It seems that one of the things we've missed this winter is a nice cold high to our north previous to our snow events. We've had to rely on dynamics for cooling.

Oh we've had plenty of cold highs to our north but due to no blocking the entire winter they scoot out NE before the storm arrived...now we have blocking and no highs in sight due to a crap pacific...cruel irony

I do think some folks are missing that you do not need cold air when the upper low is passing just south of an area....follow the upper low and just north of it will snow...even if it is 35 degrees....and it will accumulate when it gets heavy. 

Also - JB at WB thinks the 6z GFS is "woefully underdone" he sees snow down to ACY....likes a Euro/NAM blend - expecting changes with GFS in future runs.

10 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

I do think some folks are missing that you do not need cold air when the upper low is passing just south of an area....follow the upper low and just north of it will snow...even if it is 35 degrees....and it will accumulate when it gets heavy. 

Also - JB at WB thinks the 6z GFS is "woefully underdone" he sees snow down to ACY....likes a Euro/NAM blend - expecting changes with GFS in future runs.

JB has to be the biggest joke in meteorology right now.  I used to hang on his every word, but he has really become all hype and nothing else.

Archived