Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We may have picked up 2" in the past hour here.

Its like a fog.  This is a crazy squall.

IMG_8535.GIF.61331628c2959fe863caf9ab6304ad01.GIF

Juiciest echoes appear headed for Dryslot/LavaRock, though the SN will have to be fairly heavy to accumulate as they were still about 45 at 3 PM.  The north end of the line seems to be dying out, but then my area usually is very good at dodging snowsqualls.  (Last one here was 1/28/2010, a really good one but one that marked the last powder flakes of that "winter".)

Edit:  Alex, that's a beautiful stake but seems kinda short for how much snow you get there.

Rain showers went through here late afternoon.  Briefly turned to snow at the end.  Meantime lots of black ice around.  Temps fell quickly through the 30's with the showers and below freezing with clearing skies at sunset.  My driveway which is down to pavement is a sheet of black ice.  

Alex, glad you like your snowstake.  I snow blew an area in my field for the deer and turkeys.  They love it.  Just keep them away from the snowstake  (which will be off little use by this time next week)

Untitled.png

It was supposed to stop but I had a party for a coworker up at the ski area this evening and it's still ripping snow up there.

Over 4" of dense snow (graupel mixed in) in the parking lots as of 6pm.  

Nice surprise...it's like winter storm conditions up there and some good moisture feeding into the Spine.

IMG_8545.GIF.cd481a0794600ea4561fa046b7225c43.GIF

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.11” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 12.7 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

1.3” was the total from yesterday’s cold front, so that’s it for that event.  The forecast suggests that we could also get a bit of snow from the next storm approaching the area, which has been named Winter Storm Noah.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

This is the stretch where I try hard not have a meltdown. 

Agreed.  Planned a ski trip this week months ago to Tremblant thinking there is no way it will get warm enough up there for rain.  Wrong.  Can't even cancel without losing $2,000.

Same week last year at Jay Peak - terrible.

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Don't give up.  So many epic March storms in the past.  Even though the beginning of April.  Heck,  the big May 10th, 1977 storm down in Boston.  We still have more winter to go.

Pi Day was the savior last year and perhaps the most memorable storm of my lifetime (my first 30 inch event). I doubt we will get a repeat but a nice double digit event would be awesome :) 

I’ve put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for yesterday’s cold front.  It’s easy to see how this event favored the north to north-central spine, with consistent 4” amounts apparently falling off just south of MRG, and essentially nothing south of the Snow Bowl.

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 2”

Suicide Six: 0”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0.5”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

More snow coming it seems tonight.  Would love to pull another 2-4" tonight after the fun squalls yesterday.

HRRR has continued to juice up the QPF tonight every single run for the past 4 hours.

I gotta tell ya, in was an awesome sleeper powder day in the Bolton BC thanks to that cold front snow.  It was that classic PF/adk setup where the snow started as wet or rain before transitioning to drier snow, and the new stuff simply bonded to the subsurface to minimize crustiness.  Topping it off with a bit more tonight would be awesome.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

More snow coming it seems tonight.  Would love to pull another 2-4" tonight after the fun squalls yesterday.

HRRR has continued to juice up the QPF tonight every single run for the past 4 hours.

Eejlv8q.png&key=26e69ae58616854a17a07af4

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what you ended up with. I just got back from Hardwick and it was snow pretty hard the entire way back looks like an inch down with some more to come. 

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas from Winter Storm Noah:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Middlebury: 6”

Suicide Six: 4”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 6”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 4”

I would have expected the southern resorts to really top the list based on the expected accumulations from this storm, but that wasn’t really the trend aside from the totals dropping a bit at the very northernmost resorts, most everyone was in the 4-6” range.  Surprisingly, some of the southernmost resorts are toward the lower end of the list despite the fact that that’s where Winter Weather Advisories were posted.

In any event, thanks to the cold frontal snow from Friday, some of the northern resorts are hitting double digit totals in the 48 to 72-hour timeframe for some great skiing and riding.

Event totals: 3.5” Snow/0.25” L.E.

Details from the 2:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 37.8 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

There’s been a bit of snow here this afternoon, even though the temperature down here in the valley has gone above freezing.  When we left Bolton Valley around 2:00 P.M. there was actually a steady light snow and temperatures in the upper 20s F at ~2,000’.

2.25" here last night. Light snow/flurries on and off all day, nice wintry feel. The stake is now at 20", and it's a VERY solid snowpack. We went into the woods to tap our first maples and it's incredible how it feels there's only a couple of inches of snow on the ground, when in reality you see things sticking out of the snow and realize you're standing without sinking on almost 2 feet of snow. Pretty cool. I wonder how much, if any, will be left by the end of the warmup... 

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Good sliding out there this morning.

4.75" at 1,500ft and 6.0" at 3,000ft.

27982858_10155137523817382_6094614087317

Yesterday was a real gift. Given where the mountain was late last week and where it is heading, this weekend had to save a lot of people's holiday plans. That 6" skied so nicely yesterday. Much better than the wind blasted 4" Friday night. 

Shame we're about to head into a 10 day stretch that is about as bad as it can be for Nor. VT in Feb.  Oh well. This season the window's of good skiing are tight. 

Would love BTV to fully melt out. We've got this rotten icy coverage here that just leeches water onto everything making a nasty sheen of ice every cold night. No need for that!

1 hour ago, adk said:

Yesterday was a real gift. Given where the mountain was late last week and where it is heading, this weekend had to save a lot of people's holiday plans. That 6" skied so nicely yesterday. Much better than the wind blasted 4" Friday night. 

Shame we're about to head into a 10 day stretch that is about as bad as it can be for Nor. VT in Feb.  Oh well. This season the window's of good skiing are tight. 

Would love BTV to fully melt out. We've got this rotten icy coverage here that just leeches water onto everything making a nasty sheen of ice every cold night. No need for that!

I have no doubt it will completely melt out in the CPV. I think even some lower lying inland areas will also lost most if not all of their snow cover. The higher terrain will of course hold on to some. It is going to be ugly without question. We punt the remainder of February to see if there is some March redemption.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

I have no doubt it will completely melt out in the CPV. I think even some lower lying inland areas will also lost most if not all of their snow cover. The higher terrain will of course hold on to some. It is going to be ugly without question. We punt the remainder of February to see if there is some March redemption.

Yeah I think we've got like 15" on the ground in town with 12" of that being rock solid.  The top 3" were from yesterday's snow, that'll go quick but I think itll wipe us out if it's 45F at night and 60F by day.  At least patchy cover by the end.

Archived