Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/15 -16 /17 Sneaky Coastal

MJO812

22 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Don I completely understand. I do not post often but I do my best to read and learn and ask questions of you guys that actually understand the science involved. Some of these people on TV do seem to understand the science while others were doing traffic broadcast yesterday and today they are doing the weather,lol. Thanks Don

It's fortunate that they have kept Nick Gregory on over there.  I remember the live coverage he provided during the Brooklyn tornado a number of years ago.  He did an outstanding job that afternoon and I doubt that there is anyone else on the air there in NYC that could have provided the level of expertise that he did that afternoon.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Don I completely understand. I do not post often but I do my best to read and learn and ask questions of you guys that actually understand the science involved. Some of these people on TV do seem to understand the science while others were doing traffic broadcast yesterday and today they are doing the weather,lol. Thanks Don

Not a problem at all. I hope you enjoy the Board and participate often, even if just to share observations. Also, have a great holiday season.

1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

It's fortunate that they have kept Nick Gregory on over there.  I remember the live coverage he provided during the Brooklyn tornado a number of years ago.  He did an outstanding job that afternoon and I doubt that there is anyone else on the air there in NYC that could have provided the level of expertise that he did that afternoon.

I agree. Nick Gregory is very good.

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Not a problem at all. I hope you enjoy the Board and participate often, even if just to share observations. Also, have a great holiday season.

Don even though I don't post much I read it often and yes I enjoy it tremendously . TY and Happy Holiday to you and yours

Edit here BTW I think Nick Gregory was / is very good I also think that MR G is very good and understands the science much better than the frauds lol ps I used to love Alan Casper as a kid because he was indeed a WEENIE and loved the snow 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

There’s a difference between the maximum amount of snow allowed, per NYSDOTs policy, on the road versus when they start plowing. 

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/oom/transportation-maintenance/repository/NYS_SI_Manual_Apr2006_RevJan2012.pdf

3070EF8A-6DEE-4B78-9128-45D865840827.png

That must be what they are doing here.  The last storm was a good test case.  We had right around 2" and there was no plowing on my street.  But when the sun came out, the snow melted.  Thanks for the research, looks like they are doing the minimum possible work in spite of the > 12K in property taxes we are paying over here.  Looks like the standards for secondary streets is even lower (3.5"?!)

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

Nice pink hue to the clouds this morning to my south and east. 

Red sky in morning...

That was one of the most beautiful sunrises we have had this year, although the colors didn't last for long.

I was surprised we had such good radiational cooling with those clouds around!

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Don - you're being kind. He's a friggin' moron when it comes to meteorology, as he regularly misspeaks about weather details; he should not be allowed to even report on the weather unless it's completely uneventful.  And you're correct that he's not an actual meteorologist:

"Mike holds a degree in Rhetoric and Communications, with an emphasis on atmospheric science, from U.C. Davis."

A degree in rhetoric?  Isn't that equivalent to having a degree in telemarketing lol?  Based on what you said it sounds like he should be working for some resort promoting their weather for vacationers.  Anyway I can't stand FOX for their political bent, but the one great thing on there is Nick Gregory.  He's worth way more than everyone else on there combined.

19 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

18 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I agree. Nick Gregory is very good.

16 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Don even though I don't post much I read it often and yes I enjoy it tremendously . TY and Happy Holiday to you and yours

Edit here BTW I think Nick Gregory was / is very good I also think that MR G is very good and understands the science much better than the frauds lol ps I used to love Alan Casper as a kid because he was indeed a WEENIE and loved the snow 

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

A degree in rhetoric?  Isn't that equivalent to having a degree in telemarketing lol?  Anyway I can't stand FOX for their political bent, but the one great thing on there is Nick Gregory.  He's worth way more than anyone else on there combined.

One more...Nick Gregory is awesome.  The other "pretty boy" with little meteorological knowledge (and no degree) is Lonnie Quinn.  On the other hand, Amy Freeze doesn't have a degree in meteorology, but she does seem to have a decent command of the science - maybe not at the level of Nick or Lee Goldberg/Jeff Smith (all of whom have meteorology degrees and it shows), but she doesn't embarrass herself, like Woods and Quinn do.  

10 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

One more...Nick Gregory is awesome.  The other "pretty boy" with little meteorological knowledge (and no degree) is Lonnie Quinn.  On the other hand, Amy Freeze doesn't have a degree in meteorology, but she does seem to have a decent command of the science - maybe not at the level of Nick or Lee Goldberg/Jeff Smith (all of whom have meteorology degrees and it shows), but she doesn't embarrass herself, like Woods and Quinn do.  

Funny/interesting thing about Jeff Smith, our own Will (ORHWXMAN) was actually his college roomie at Cornell.

To add to your list above another of the ones who don't seem to have a good rep is Janice Huff.

Limited sunshine, cold ground and below freezing air temps means whatever falls will cover everything unlike last Saturday. I think 1-3 makes sense across NYC across Long Island.

3 Events albeit small in a 6 day period in the first half of December is unusual.

Even though it will snow for 4-6 hours it wont be wasted melting right away so enjoy !

3 minutes ago, sferic said:

Limited sunshine, cold ground and below freezing air temps means whatever falls will cover everything unlike last Saturday. I think 1-3 makes sense across NYC across Long Island.

3 Events albeit small in a 6 day period in the first half of December is unusual.

Even though it will snow for 4-6 hours it wont be wasted melting right away so enjoy !

It sounds a lot like the last event we just had.  I still doubt this lasts only 6 hours for us, small gripe but it's probably more like 10 hours for the coast.

26 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Lonnie Quinn gets knocked here understandably, but Ill give him credit for at least seeming to have some enthusiasm for weather in general.  Some of the others on television give the impression that anything other than 80 and sunny is disdainful.  

20 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Funny/interesting thing about Jeff Smith, our own Will (ORHWXMAN) was actually his college roomie at Cornell.

To add to your list above another of the ones who don't seem to have a good rep is Janice Huff.

Now that's a tidbit on Jeff/Will!  Agree on Huff, although she isl listed as having a met degree from FSU.  Maybe she didn't keep up to date or something....

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Now that's a tidbit on Jeff/Will!  Agree on Huff, although she isl listed as having a met degree from FSU.  Maybe she didn't keep up to date or something....

Yeah Will told me he still teases Jeff about it lol.  Jeff was the youngest in their group of friends from what I understand.

Archived