joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I like is that the GFS has been advertising stuff like this for the past week or so. I really like the potential of the pattern we are going into. Even if we torch for the beginning of it, the signal is wet, and no significant signal of torch. Maybe warm, but at worst 50 degrees and rain on Christmas, but at best 30 degrees and Blizzard. We just need the GEFS to be as good

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

The thing I like is that the GFS has been advertising stuff like this for the past week or so. I really like the potential of the pattern we are going into. Even if we torch for the beginning of it, the signal is wet, and no significant signal of torch. Maybe warm, but at worst 50 degrees and rain on Christmas, but at best 30 degrees and Blizzard. We just need the GEFS to be as good

And the EPS.  That's the biggie.

Just now, Conway7305 said:

I think the site was down for a bit. How did the GEFS look through Christmas?  GFS looked great for us.  

As per the GEFS, we're in average temperatures for the entire week of the 24th-29th. Worse than 12z, but better than 6z. Snow mean stays impressive during that time too. Honestly, I wouldn't put much weight in the temp anomalies for this far out. The models have all been jumpy, and have been nowhere near consistent. I think once we're within 240 hours, it's a much safer bet, especially in this situation. We're still on the positive side though, which is good. Don't be surprised if the models go from torch to cold back to torch again in the next few runs.

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

I only just like that the GFS showed snow within hour 240. Shows that at least the signal for an active precip period is coming. 

Honestly, I can't remember when the ensembles have jumped around so much on any model suite. Frankly, GEPS has been pretty bullish with the cold for us. Maybe it does a repeat to last years excellent performance. We can hope.

37 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

As per the GEFS, we're in average temperatures for the entire week of the 24th-29th. Worse than 12z, but better than 6z. Snow mean stays impressive during that time too. Honestly, I wouldn't put much weight in the temp anomalies for this far out. The models have all been jumpy, and have been nowhere near consistent. I think once we're within 240 hours, it's a much safer bet, especially in this situation. We're still on the positive side though, which is good. Don't be surprised if the models go from torch to cold back to torch again in the next few runs.

I disagree about not weighting temp anomalies. That's a clear indicator that the 18z gefs has more members slowing down the boundary. It was a step towards the EPS. Not a bad run but if looking for trends it wasn't in the right direction. 

We know there's going to be a very important boundary approaching down the line. The slower it moves the lower the chances of getting on the good side before xmas. The ens didn't support the op's deep winter look d8+  

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I disagree about not weighting temp anomalies. That's a clear indicator that the 18z gefs has more members slowing down the boundary. It was a step towards the EPS. Not a bad run but if looking for trends it wasn't in the right direction. 

We know there's going to be a very important boundary approaching down the line. The slower it moves the lower the chances of getting on the good side before xmas. The ens didn't support the op's deep winter look d8+  

I agree.  After looking at the temp profiles of the GEFS they resembled yesterday's 18z.  Not great.  Bit better but not deep winter. 10 days folks.  

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I agree.  After looking at the temp profiles of the GEFS they resembled yesterday's 18z.  Not great.  Bit better but not deep winter. 10 days folks.  

I scanned through the members and it's a pretty equal split between holding the boundary back and pushing it through. I agree with Wes' post earlier about things probably going slower than we want. Models often rush things but as long as things get right at some point before the month is out we'll all be pretty happy. One more moderate event and Dec goes down as a very good start to met winter. One big event and it's the best start since 2009. 

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

I really hope that this reloads in January.

I believe at one point during January, it certainly will. EPO and MJO are going into favorable periods, and we haven't had a -NAO in a while, so there's the potential of that tanking early January. Even if we torch early-mid Jan, you can tell from the get go that this winter will most likely not torch like last winter did. Could be wrong, but it looks more favorable than last year. Wetter Fall, slightly colder fall as well. Hopefully this translates to the rest of the Winter

It was interesting that even with that horrid 500mb look on the EPS, the surface temps were basically near normal, even below normal at times. I'm not sure entirely what that means, but I would guess (without being able to look at individual members) that there's a huge spread on positioning of the boundary.  You see the huge range of predicted surface high temps on the EPS meteogram on wx.graphics.  Almost 50F of spread for the end of the run!  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived