joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disclaimer: I am not on nor off the bandwagon or threat train. I said before there is certainly potential. I just think it will take more than merely just pulling a rabbit out of a hat to get anything close to the Euro to verify. There are alot of things that need to go right for this to work. And believe me, if things start to trend favorably it will be noted appropriately. So save me a seat on that train just in case. I dont need to be the first on-board in the first seat nor do I need to be the engineer.....not about that for me.

Overnight guidance for January 4 pulled another Ryan Howard. Mid June, big game against a division rival, bottom of the 7th, trailing by 2 runs, runners on 1st and 2nd, nobody out, Howard at bat.....a steady stream of low and outside breaking balls has the count at 1 ball 2 strikes......the 1-2 pitch.....big swing and a miss at another low and outside breaking ball. He may or may not get another at bat this game but at least there is plenty of season to go.

Visiting my mom for the holidays out East here (Hatboro).

Was hoping for something good to track while I was home, seems as though it's a tough cold-and-dry pattern thus far.  You can have too much of a good thing, I suppose (that is arctic air availability).  I'm guessing we'll need a pattern relaxation or shift of some kind before threats become viable.

1 hour ago, Bluescat1 said:

I have a humidifier going and a pot of water on the stove and it is still like the Mojave desert in my house.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I have a portable "whole house" humidifier running along with regular ones in my bedroom and in the basement next to some overwintering plants, and it's a struggle to keep the humidity in the 30 - 40% range.  In the rooms without one, the humidity is 28% or less.  Since this is an extended cold event, I may have to pull out an old extra one to supplement.

As an obs, I at least made it above 20F today (currently 22) vs yesterday where my high was 19.   I thought I heard a blip on the radio today about the city considering postponing the Mummers Parade... I just heard the tail end but I think it was in consideration of spectators out there.  A decision was supposed to be made by tomorrow I think.

8 minutes ago, greenskeeper said:

If you have forced air vents in/near the floor, putting a tray of water at each will humidify the house nicely. I've got a woodstove as my primary heat (baseboard electric otherwise) and I put a pot of water on top to boil off and re-humidify the air

I have my "whole house" one (3 gallon) right next to a large intake vent on the first floor.  But with dews in the single digits that have been going below 0 overnight, the poor things are struggling.  I have my thermostat set at 66. At least my bedroom one has been keeping it closer to 50% (with the door closed). I just dug out an extra one to set up on the first floor.

GFS shifted west on the 18z. Small improvements in the 72-96 hour time frame resulted in a couple 100 miles difference at the surface downstream. If we continue to tick and tick towards better trends, eventually the surface will respond and we'll all be happy :)

8 minutes ago, greenskeeper said:

you're probably making your heating system work harder by doing that. what type of forced air do you have? I'd move the humidifier away from the intake vent to a more centralized location and not send the humidity directly into the air handler

It's a gas furnace with fan motor that is part of central air system (that includes exterior AC unit that dehumidifies the air in the summer).  I know there are actually furnace humidifiers that can be installed directly at the furnace but given this is only an issue for about 4 months out of the year, I went with a "bigger" portable to replace the 3 smaller ones I was using before for the 1st floor.  It has been a godsend otherwise during normal winter temps.  The unit is pretty much "centralized" in location but the vent that it is near runs along the raised portion of dining room (not on the floor) adjacent to the "sunken living room" so wherever I would put it would have moisture sucked towards it regardless.

I grew up with the Kamu "boiler" and thumping radiators so the central air thing is foreign to me. 

Models are shifting back west with the Jan 3-5 storm. Please don't let this be the ultimate Lucy.
Here's the GEFS trend:
gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_fh132_trend.thumb.gif.dbcc22fe458897f6f30dd53204d87574.gif
Largest changes creating this look is the slowing down of the lead shortwave in the South. Euro actually had a phase AND signal that a 3rd piece of energy could complete the cycle. GFS shows similar. Interest/excitement level raised to a 4.5 out of 10....took a nice jump up overnight :-)

Keep in mind we need the trends to continue.....we dont want to start taking steps back. I have a split between an impactful event for the region and partly cloudy skies. It is that close between all or nothing imo. If that front running energy goes out ahead of everything with a late phase it pulls the pendulum East with it grazing the Mid Atl coast before snapping back and crushing New England.

Archived