Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had moderate to heavy snow from about 1:00 to 4:00 downtown today. I would think it was probably about 2” or so under normal circumstances, but the sun angle and city heat peninsula effect couldn’t be beat. There was about .5” on metal and plants. So the next time a weenie says March sun angle is a myth, it BETTER be really rippin’ and way below freezing. Even some decent snow rates today couldn’t do it.

Came home to Monroeville to maybe 1.5”. I have some mulch and plants in a fairly shaded area that have about 2.5” on them (I know it doesn’t really count...just sayin).  About 450’ higher, and temps today that held around 27/28

1 hour ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

What do the lines represent?

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Different models that make up the srefs, red model is least amount and blue is the most. 

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

I think the red line is the most recent sref run.

25 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Check out where each line starts. Blue is 12Z

The Blue is the most recent run. That why I thought it was worth posting. The latest info coming in and showing up as big numbers.

43 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Would like to see more development over W.V., but there are some decent returns just south of there. 

Patience will be the key tonight. Lol

Yes patience is the key. Development after late into the night. I think this is where the NAM has been off with this storm a little bit. The dry air is the real deal in WV right now

2 hours ago, snowsux said:

I had to drive up to Ford City (or "camp" as you yinzers love to call that general area) today to pick up a thermal fuse for my dryer, because nobody near the big, bad, hardcore blue collar industrial city of Pittsburgh had a simple $15 universal Whirlpool part. No snow up there whatsoever as of about 4:30.

And there's still nothing on there ground here

5 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Finally had a nice band go through and got a whole 1 inch on the ground! Yahoo!

What's everyone complaining about? We had a big storm in 2010 :facepalm:

Our storm averages are slowly but surely changing every year. Maybe this decade is our decade without significant storms. The 20s will roar back with avengence. 

32 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

No they don’t. They’ve had like 5 20+ Storms in the last ten years and whine when they get 6 inches, 

I personally would take the nickle and dime to 40 inches but I suppose if your more of a big storm guy I get your point. Those winters are really feast and famine, we have the safer way to climo on average

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

The Blue is the most recent run. That why I thought it was worth posting. The latest info coming in and showing up as big numbers.

A gotcha, so each line represents the mean for a particular run? I though there was a srefs product that showed a bunch of the members and a mean? Honestly I don't use them much, always seems to give false hope but maybe I just don't know how to evaluate their output correctly. Lol

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

A gotcha, so each line represents the mean for a particular run? I though there was a srefs product that showed a bunch of the members and a mean? Honestly I don't use them much, always seems to give false hope but maybe I just don't know how to evaluate their output correctly. Lol

Yes, each of the lines represents the mean from each of the last 4 runs. There is also the product that shows all of the members of the ensemble. Here is the 00z. Down to about 4.5 in. 

I like to look at the SREFs because i have had some success with them on some systems. You are right though, they give a lot of false hope sometimes.

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.33.39 PM.png

You guys forget Multiple storms in the ‘11 to ‘14 time frame that had nice 7” to 10” snows. I know 2010 (especially Feb) was such heaven that that is the reference point.

It’s really these last 4 years that have been a constant nickel and dime struggle. (Watch us hit the most boring 50” ever this year). 

The really big snows (say 15”+) has been a little better than Climo over the past 25 years. Jan ‘16 should have been the “next one” (and for parts of the area it was)....but missed in the immediate area.

But...

The problem has been 1) again, these last 4 years and 2) the ABSURD frequency of some places to the east getting hit big that makes it worse. 

Watch....in the 2020’s Cincinnati will suddenly be the new Philly (a city with modest historical snow averages that suddenly becomes good) :weep:

3 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

You guys forget Multiple storms in the ‘11 to ‘14 time frame that had nice 7” to 10” snows. I know 2010 (especially Feb) was such heaven that that is the reference point.

It’s really these last 4 years that have been a constant nickel and dime struggle. (Watch us hit the most boring 50” ever this year). 

The really big snows (say 15”+) has been a little better than Climo over the past 25 years. Jan ‘16 should have been the “next one” (and for parts of the area it was)....but missed in the immediate area.

But...

The problem has been 1) again, these last 4 years and 2) the ABSURD frequency of some places to the east getting hit big that makes it worse. 

Watch....in the 2020’s Cincinnati will suddenly be the new Philly (a city with modest historical snow averages that suddenly becomes good) :weep:

I still have a hard time remembering any 7-10 inch storms in that time frame.

I'm 15 minutes west of the city and have only seen 7+ once in the past 8 years and that was 2011. I know march 2012 there were many areas that saw 8+ but Ithink my elevation did me in there. Haven't seen a 10+ storm though since feb 5th 2010 lol. Pretty sure there's only been 2 in the last two decades. 2010 and 2003, at least officially. 

6 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

I personally would take the nickle and dime to 40 inches but I suppose if your more of a big storm guy I get your point. Those winters are really feast and famine, we have the safer way to climo on average

I agree, they might get multiple winters in a row with awful snow then get a couple with big storms. We are almost guaranteed to get 30-40 inches a year. It does seem they have hit the jackpot quite often over the past 10 years or so. I hope I get to see another 92-96 Era, although I didn't truly appreciate it at the time. 

Archived