• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 5th, 2017 Severe Weather Event

IllinoisWedges

I believe there is enough support for us to make a separate thread on this topic instead of using the general severe talk thread. SPC went Day 4 30% mentioning all hazards and supercells as the dominant storm mode. Euro and GFS both have a pretty beefy setup, especially along the warm front, while the NAM is doing NAM things with a slower, more laid back approach. 

day4prob.gif.aa3ff6ee7456604f0905eb3f02c140f9.gif

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anytime I see two strong diverging jet streams at upper levels with a progged 50 knot LLJ in the forecast, with all other parameters being favorable, my concern is really heightened.  59/57 here now this morning with forecast highs today in the mid 60's to prime the pump with the first system and only a slight cool down before warming up once again.

3 hours ago, StormChaser4Life said:

This looks eerily similar to how 11-17-13 looked a few days out. Not saying this will reach that calibur but def has the grounds for something significant 

Similar threat area, yes.  11/17/13 had a much deeper surface low and stronger wind fields, so I don't think we can approach that level/severity without significant changes, but the potential here stacks up well against just about any other November outbreak in the region imo. 

Here's what we had at the surface on 11/17/13.  Surface low deepened through the 980s (and eventually into the 970s) as it moved through, which is much deeper than what's progged this time.  Some may recall the widespread non-thunderstorm high wind event that occurred on the back side.

namussfc2013111718.gif.fb3c3c175592e71fabc90fa44c840f56.gif

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Similar threat area, yes.  11/17/13 had a much deeper surface low and stronger wind fields, so I don't think we can approach that level/severity without significant changes, but the potential here stacks up well against just about any other November outbreak in the region imo. 

Yea I totally agree. That's like a benchmark now for Fall outbreaks. Besides the Veterans Day outbreak. I don't think we will see a tornado outbreak of that scale due to the factors you listed (weaker sfc low and not as strong wind fields). But like you said the parameters for this are significant for this time of year. A localized tornado event, most likely near wf, is def possible. Prolly will see a long squall line develop on cf and maybe some warm sector supercells depending on if eml can be overcome. Despite the lack of significant turning in the low levels and not as high low level shear as 11-17, the cap may help keep some storms discrete esp given that forcing won't be extreme ahead of cf

8 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

The Euro generally agrees with the evolution as well. NAM is outlier in this case.

Good point. Looking forward to seeing the 12z version of the ECM. 

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Yea I totally agree. That's like a benchmark now for Fall outbreaks. Besides the Veterans Day outbreak. I don't think we will see a tornado outbreak of that scale due to the factors you listed (weaker sfc low and not as strong wind fields). But like you said the parameters for this are significant for this time of year. A localized tornado event, most likely near wf, is def possible. Prolly will see a long squall line develop on cf and maybe some warm sector supercells depending on if eml can be overcome. Despite the lack of significant turning in the low levels and not as high low level shear as 11-17, the cap may help keep some storms discrete esp given that forcing won't be extreme ahead of cf

Well said. The warm front will certainly be a key to this event IMO. I can see the warm sector wind profiles veering quickly if both the GFS and ECM were to verify. A localized significant tornado event certainly isn't out of the question if some key factors were to come together. At 4 days out, the general consensus is high cape for this time of year with a combination of more than adequate shear profiles will result in an active fall severe weather event.  

5 hours ago, StormChaser4Life said:

This looks eerily similar to how 11-17-13 looked a few days out. Not saying this will reach that calibur but def has the grounds for something significant 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

58 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here's what we had at the surface on 11/17/13.  Surface low deepened through the 980s (and eventually into the 970s) as it moved through, which is much deeper than what's progged this time.  Some may recall the widespread non-thunderstorm high wind event that occurred on the back side.

namussfc2013111718.gif.fb3c3c175592e71fabc90fa44c840f56.gif

Since 11/17/13 is being brought up, I thought i'd show the storm report map from that day. Probably won't get that bad but just an idea from what happened that day.

131117_rpts.gif.png

IWX made a good point about the forcing being less than what's typical at this time of year.  It's true... look at almost any significant November outbreak in the region (the aforementioned 11/17/13, 11/15/05, 11/5/05, 11/10/02, 11/10/98, 11/22/92, 11/15/89, etc.) and they had better height falls/deeper troughs.  So I could see a scenario in which there's resistance to transition away from supercell mode.

1 minute ago, Chambana said:

Going to need a lot more clearing than what’s currently modeled as well. 

I actually don't think this is as important, given the steep mid level lapse rates being progged.  I look at any clearing in this setup as a bonus.  I think it's game on as long as overcast isn't restrictive enough to keep temps cooler than low-mid 60s.  

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

IWX made a good point about the forcing being less than what's typical at this time of year.  It's true... look at almost any significant November outbreak in the region (the aforementioned 11/17/13, 11/15/05, 11/5/05, 11/10/02, 11/10/98, 11/22/92, 11/15/89, etc.) and they had better height falls/deeper troughs.  So I could see a scenario in which there's resistance to transition away from supercell mode.

It is a very delicate balance though, because you do need some forcing for initiation too, currently as modeled there is enough forcing and lift to get things going.

11 minutes ago, Chambana said:

I agree with Hoosier here and don't think this will be a huge issue. Also, modeled cloud cover at this point isn't overly reliable. Since we are talking about 11/17, that was a day that ended up clearing out a bit more than originally thought. It wasn't necessary, but it certainly aided in even better instability. 

Even with the NAM severely lowballing the instability at this junction it still presents us with a few things of interest. Even at face value it is not bad, combine that with a factor that is important, and that is the low level wind field. It is showing much better low level shear unlike the GFS. For example:

2017110212_NAM_081_40.39,-87.06_severe_m

2017110212_NAM_084_41.5,-85.75_severe_ml

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Even with the NAM severely lowballing the instability at this junction it still presents us with a few things of interest. Even at face value it is not bad, combine that with a factor that is important, and that is the low level wind field. It is showing much better low level shear unlike the GFS. For example:

The first and second soundings are the same. Thought I'd let you know that.

23 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Not seeing much of the way in clouds other than low level clouds and those can be eroded over time. When checking the 700mb RH, things look very good for limiting mid level clouds.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Weird, I only posted 2, must have posted 1st one twice.

Yea I only see the 2 now. Problem must've fixed itself. I'm also gonna get a GFS sounding for comparison.

Taken near Peoria. The lack of low level curvature is extremely evident here, compared to the NAM, and even then, not a bad sounding.

IMG_0144.PNG

7 minutes ago, nwburbschaser said:

I agree with Hoosier here and don't think this will be a huge issue. Also, modeled cloud cover at this point isn't overly reliable. Since we are talking about 11/17, that was a day that ended up clearing out a bit more than originally thought. It wasn't necessary, but it certainly aided in even better instability. 

A day that I can think of where there was total overcast but still produced a fruitful outbreak was 8/24/2016.  Total overcast in most locations but temps in the upper 70s/low 80s, dews the 60/70s, good SRH, and ample deep layer vertical shear made for a very active day. Though not exactly applicable for November in terms of certain conditions, this is one day that comes to my mind where clearing played little to no role in the events that followed. 

Archived