Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, tim123 said:

This pattern can give Rochester some good snow off erie

I like your optimism but this setup coming is a real heartbreaker for for KROC folks.  We usually end up completely on the side lines for days watching ominous bands to our North and South.   I've been on the West Side of Rochester for 12 years and don't think we've ever gotten more than 6 inches from an Erie band.  It's typically 1-3 and that is usually only when an arctic front grabs the band and juices it up.  The downsloping elevation change from Genesee county into Monroe is just too much to overcome, it obliterates the band. 

I'm thinking I may actually set up South of Buffalo if this verifies, spend a day or two chasing and then hit up Holiday Valley.  I need my fix.  

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

I like your optimism but this setup coming is a real heartbreaker for for KROC folks.  We usually end up completely on the side lines for days watching ominous bands to our North and South.   I've been on the West Side of Rochester for 12 years and don't think we've ever gotten more than 6 inches from an Erie band.  It's typically 1-3 and that is usually only when an arctic front grabs the band and juices it up.  The downsloping elevation change from Genesee county into Monroe is just too much to overcome, it obliterates the band. 

I'm thinking I may actually set up South of Buffalo if this verifies, spend a day or two chasing and then hit up Holiday Valley.  I need my fix.  

Me and Devin will come with you. We’re planning on chasing wherever this sets up. 

16 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Good luck to you folks near the lake. I am researching and tentatively planning a trip for a two nite stay and will narrow down an area as we are closer.

Are spots downwind of Erie favored over Ontario or is this a toss up, assuming models have a good handle on things 

Dont mean to clog up your thread

You're from Mass, so the tug is much closer for you then Buffalo. Devin has chased there quite a bit so maybe he can help you with best spots with actual restaurants, hotels, etc... Most likely Redfield, Oswego, Pulaski, Mexico area. But you should totally come to Buffalo to hang with us. ^_^ 

Yeah, almost always. But much easier to chase in populated areas like the southtowns then the tug. There are hotels and restaurants at every corner here. I think this even has the potential to hit the city and northtowns hard which are really populated and very easy to chase in. 

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Ontario usually out performs lake erie

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Thanks. I may hang in Buffalo lol. S Buffalo

i saw mexico was about 5.5 hrs but im sick so i would drive another couple if there is a SW/WSW flow that causes better totals from Erie 

I'm sure the totals will be higher in the Tug, as Tim pointed out they almost always are. But like I said much easier to chase in populated areas. Tug can get very sketchy quite quickly with 5-6" snowfall rates and nothing in sight. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm sure the totals will be higher in the Tug, as Tim pointed out they almost always are. But like I said much easier to chase in populated areas. Tug can get very sketchy quite quickly with 5-6" snowfall rates and nothing in sight. 

Very true.  The Tug is awesome for insane snow rates and accumulations, but can be VERY dicey if you're not experienced in navigating extreme winter weather.  Erie provides a lot of options for chasing where you can either stay put in very nice areas (Ellicottville, East Aurora) that are getting blasted, or drive very short distances from these spots to hit the action.  Nothing against Pulaski, Redfield, Adams, etc., but they don't exactly have the amenities of the area south of Buffalo...

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Thank you for the responses and suggestions.

Ill probably pop back in as we get closer.

i dont want to be Jack Nicholson frozen to a bush , in a epic snow band far away from civilization 

A guy from my dads work died in the November 2014 storm. Strong lake effect storms are no joke.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/nyregion/extreme-snowstorm-pummels-western-new-york.html

"In Erie County, which includes Buffalo, a 46-year-old man was found dead inside his car buried under 15 feet of snow in Alden, according to county officials."

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

A gprobrom my dads work died in the Novemb er 2014 storm. Strong lake effect storms are no joke.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/nyregion/extreme-snowstorm-pummels-western-new-york.html

"In Erie County, which includes Buffalo, a 46-year-old man was found dead inside his car buried under 15 feet of snow in Alden, according to county officials."

I would hunker down in a decent hotel A tad south or se Of Buffalo

Archived