Newest Member
    Dano62
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

55 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_45.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_46.png

Guys....Guys....

I can't wait to spend the next few months dreaming of this at hour 384. 

In all seriousness though, does anyone from SC remember a few years ago when some of the midlands got their first snow on November 1st? These things are possible, but my understanding of the factors that led to that situation is very limited.

Edit: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/climate/sco/Publications/1 NOV 2014 SNOW EVENT.pdf

Here's a short write up of the event. I didn't realize I was talking about the midlands in the mountains and foothills thread but the upstate got some of this too so it's still relevant.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was living in Lexington County SC for that 11/1 snow.  That was all we saw (if my memory is right) the entire season.  I moved 3 hours away to Wolf Laurel because that's not a real winter down there.  

10/29 would be a happy day up here if the 12z gfs was correct. 

4 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Sitting at 33 right now.  I see the 0z GFS is showing some rain/snow mix next Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning is possible along the TN/NC border.  Getting closer to my favorite time of year!

Nice! Sitting at 35 currently. A nice cold crisp morning. Been waiting and needing this.

17 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I was living in Lexington County SC for that 11/1 snow.  That was all we saw (if my memory is right) the entire season.  I moved 3 hours away to Wolf Laurel because that's not a real winter down there.  

i chased that from charleston, what a memory.  just west of cola where i ended up got 4".  just insane.

17 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Yeah we ended up with 8 plus around Haywood. Was beautiful. Windy as crap too.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The mid range forecast looks more and more promising for actual cold fall weather. You can see the whole northern hemisphere pattern change. A good sign for some cold weather in the east.

12z gfs shows some nice blocking taking place at the end of the run

upper 30s here in some parts of n. ga mountains this morning.  fired up the wood stove, forgot the a/c was still on but idle, then the wood stove caused the a/c to come on.  thought it was going to create a black hole or something, the way i reacted when i realized i was heating and then paying to cool down the heat. 

15 minutes ago, NGTim said:

upper 30s here in some parts of n. ga mountains this morning.  fired up the wood stove, forgot the a/c was still on but idle, then the wood stove caused the a/c to come on.  thought it was going to create a black hole or something, the way i reacted when i realized i was heating and then paying to cool down the heat. 

Lol too funny!

FXUS62 KGSP 171843
AFDGSP

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
243 PM EDT Tue Oct 17 2017

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

A trailing strong cold fropa will move through the southern
Appalachians on Tuesday, with much cooler thicknesses starting to
spill into the region. Subfreezing 850 mb temps along with better NW
flow moisture appear timed just beyond the current forecast period
next Tuesday night.

As we get into the trough next week we will get colder and it will feel like fall but I would only put about 20 percent into anyone seeing snow currently. We will have a nice trough come through then the PNA begins to go negative again and know the AO looks to go pretty positive, go figure. The NAO looks to maintain a neutral base primarily. The pattern will come in and go out as I currently see it. Which really is ok. It is October, not December or January. Enjoy the beautiful fall weather because it is all we have.

Well the Euro is a bit different than the GFS this run. If you are looking for some chances for high elevation snow then the Euro is the right way of doing it. It pushes the trough deep and sharp into our area and pretty much cuts off right over us. It is an interesting cold look. The end of the run is vastly different than the GFS as is has the PV up in southern Canada pretty much due north of us. It gets pretty cold with that look but that is bound to change. Anyway the cold trough next week is impressive. 

Well the Euro is a bit different than the GFS this run. If you are looking for some chances for high elevation snow then the Euro is the right way of doing it. It pushes the trough deep and sharp into our area and pretty much cuts off right over us. It is an interesting cold look. The end of the run is vastly different than the GFS as is has the PV up in southern Canada pretty much due north of us. It gets pretty cold with that look but that is bound to change. Anyway the cold trough next week is impressive. 

That lake effect snow machine really gets going as the LP drops 10-15 millibars in less than 36 hours. With waters being so warm on the Great Lakes, I expect a good swath of moisture to be headed WNC's way Wednesday evening/Thursday morning. It may encounter so dry air on the way, but the upper elevations should see the first flakes of the season.

I really like the look the pattern setting up for the next 12-18 days. Ample moisture available in the GOM with the Southern Jet aimed right at the south with sign of the northern jet dipping south with cold air. Wouldn't take much to tip the trough negative especially with a -nao resiliently building back and signs of strong blocking highs beginning to drop into the Midwest. Colds shots do not appear to be a problem for late Oct-early Nov so it will be interesting see if WNC can thread the early needle.

Archived