SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 17-18 Speculation

griteater

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mild Deep South and Gulf Coast. Near Normal temps Carolinas, North Georgia, Tennessee Valley and Mid-South. 

Reasoning: -QBO, persistent +PNA, yet for the Deep South La Nina-ish background. Weak ENSO should allow more fluctuations with the MJO. That'll be fun!

Super Nino hangover usually lasts another year, but this is n+2 so less a factor. Ask me about the AO in November, lol.

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Mild Deep South and Gulf Coast. Near Normal temps Carolinas, North Georgia, Tennessee Valley and Mid-South. 

Reasoning: -QBO, persistent +PNA, yet for the Deep South La Nina-ish background. Weak ENSO should allow more fluctuations with the MJO. That'll be fun!

Super Nino hangover usually lasts another year, but this is n+2 so less a factor. Ask me about the AO in November, lol.

Persistent +PNA with a La Niña circulation/background state? That would be very unlikely 

5 hours ago, griteater said:

Lots of weather going on...but on the winter front, the latest PDF & Spread Corrected CFS is now projecting an official weak La Nina.  

Daily averaged AAM for the period Jun 1 - Aug 27 is -0.37....and for the period Aug 1-27, it is -0.55....and it is forecast to remain negative in the near term (next 2 weeks).  Negative AAM values are one indicator of a La Nina like atmospheric circulation.

w8RJYSc.gif

Very good points. Clear La Niña background state/circulation with the -AAM, continued lag from last winter's La Niña?  We are clearly in La Niña mode, cooling ENSO region SSTs, cold pool developing in the subsurface, strong easterly trade wind surges. Also look at the PDO, it has gone into a quite a stout negative configuration. This is the first time in years that we have seen a healthy negative PDO at this point in the season, in fact, it has been dropping steadily since early April. I'm still thinking cold-neutral (La Nada) ENSO for this winter, I just don't see this becoming an official weak La Niña. 

52 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Didn't hear him say that? Odds are for it to be better. I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think he said it a month or so ago, but he was saying that when a Nino was showing up, now that that has seemed to have went down the crapper, he'll probably change his tune! But I can assure you that his winter forecast will be:  200% above normal snowfall for Mid Atlantic and into the Northeast , and very cold /below normal temps for same areas! Watch and see!

Reading comprehension is weak with this one. Read more and post less! 

23 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Persistent +PNA with a La Niña circulation/background state? That would be very unlikely 

On 8/28/2017 at 3:29 PM, nrgjeff said:

I will add that you have a horrible understanding of the PDO. It is way more than a number.

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

You are clueless. If you can look at that sst configuration in the Pacific and say that's not -PDO, get an appointment at Pearl Vision

I'm going with the Met degree on this one. I strongly suggest you disengage and return to your area forum because I'm not going to play around.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:32 AM, griteater said:

We have reached totality with the August seasonal model output.  The JMA isn't released in Aug - it comes out in Sep & Oct.  I threw in the NOAA outlook at the end.

mmiZgZM.gif

CFS has cooled quite a bit over the last two weeks, but it's still way too early to put any stock in it (if indeed one should).

6 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Well, since we had a pretty active spring and summer with storms, more than we have had around here in recent years, and a major hurricane and maybe another one coming, I'm just going to say we're going to have a monster snow storm here in the Triangle this winter.

Do yearly analogues point to the SE having an active and (snow)-stormy winter this year? The fact that we're having quite an active hurricane season this fall is leading me to think we're gonna have a fun winter :D

7 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Well, since we had a pretty active spring and summer with storms, more than we have had around here in recent years, and a major hurricane and maybe another one coming, I'm just going to say we're going to have a monster snow storm here in the Triangle this winter.

That post crossed the line.  2 hours of the Weenie Tag.  Unless I fall asleep.  then you'll have it until tomorrow. :)

27 minutes ago, GlaringSun said:

Do yearly analogues point to the SE having an active and (snow)-stormy winter this year? The fact that we're having quite an active hurricane season this fall is leading me to think we're gonna have a fun winter :D

I saw a wooly worm, walking over an abundance of fallen acorns! Buy rock salt by the pallet, while there is still some to be had!

Griteater outlook is solid as usual. Definitely this year is a major hemispheric pattern shift. Pac NW has reversed from previous two years; looks more like fall 13/fall 14, but I doubt we'll be as cold due to residual warmth. Griteater catches all of those thoughts in his chart.

Personally I hold out hope for a colder back half of winter. My Sep-Dec charts look almost exactly like Griteater's. Note the confidence meter still leaves the door open to hope for colder. On the other hand, we are still in the South, lol. Either way, even slight AN, winter will be significantly colder than the prior two years.

Archived