SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 General Tropical Discussion

Solak

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PTC#3 is one big circulation that plus shear should keep this thing in check, that said its got a huge wind field to the east so a lot of real estate is going to see minimum tropical storm force winds and the duration could be pretty long...its a wet system with a deep moisture plume to the east side.....where exactly this thing goes and how much of that moisture gets slammed into the SE is hard to say but its looking really wet for sure in LA and the deep south of MS and AL....but there could be high rain totals well away from the center as the shear continues to push the moisture NE into the SE....

GFS para rainfall totals for the 06Z run

gfsp_apcpn_us_52.thumb.png.127e0e6064a7bc7dc0a8f9b723958520.png

I wish they would name this thing so I could cuss at it.  We have a family wedding at Lake Lure this weekend with tons of outdoor events planned.  Instead of getting ready for boating and hiking I am sitting here searching for analogs to figure out how bad the flooding might be.  Ugh!!

1 hour ago, kvegas-wx said:

I wish they would name this thing so I could cuss at it.  We have a family wedding at Lake Lure this weekend with tons of outdoor events planned.  Instead of getting ready for boating and hiking I am sitting here searching for analogs to figure out how bad the flooding might be.  Ugh!!

Probably gonna get your wish,

( * ) Denotes suspect data
Time: 15:52:30Z
Coordinates: 27.783N 89.067W
Acft. Static Air Press: 769.9 mb
Acft. Geopotential Hgt: 2,304 m (7,559 ft)
Extrap. Sfc. Press: 1005.6 mb (29.70 inHg)
Flt. Lvl. Wind (30s): From 153° at 53 kts (From the SSE at 61.0 mph)
Air Temp: 12.9°C (55.2°F)
Dew Pt: 12.8°C (55.0°F)
Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind: 57 kts (65.6 mph)
SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind: 49 kts (56.4 mph)
SFMR Rain Rate: 9 mm/hr (0.35 in/hr)

2 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

#$%^& Cindy!

The fact that Cindy is pretty disorganized and is all east side means all of the SE needs to worry about rainfall especially given how wet its been the last few weeks....the interaction between Cindy and the trough moving in over the weekend and the S/W riding along it is going to spell a lot of rain for some if not most of us.....the timing and location of the front and the S/W on it and exact track of the rems of Cindy all make that a very hard thing to forecast I don't envy the local NWS offices in the SE the next week or so....

16 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

The fact that Cindy is pretty disorganized and is all east side means all of the SE needs to worry about rainfall especially given how wet its been the last few weeks....the interaction between Cindy and the trough moving in over the weekend and the S/W riding along it is going to spell a lot of rain for some if not most of us.....the timing and location of the front and the S/W on it and exact track of the rems of Cindy all make that a very hard thing to forecast I don't envy the local NWS offices in the SE the next week or so....

ATL is getting hammered already.  Lots of rain and round two incoming. 

45 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

ATL is getting hammered already.  Lots of rain and round two incoming. 

Well SC flooded two years ago with Joaquin and NC flooded last year with Matthew, guess its GA turn.....4-8 inches over N GA seems likely over the next 5 days or so.....so the part of the state most prone to flash flooding is about to get hammered. Of course I suspect if anything the models are underdoing the rainfall potential, this loop of the GOM show a ass ton of moisture available if the trough gets down fast enough to tap into it then yikes.....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/flash-avn.html

2 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Well SC flooded two years ago with Joaquin and NC flooded last year with Matthew, guess its GA turn.....4-8 inches over N GA seems likely over the next 5 days or so.....so the part of the state most prone to flash flooding is about to get hammered. Of course I suspect if anything the models are underdoing the rainfall potential, this loop of the GOM show a ass ton of moisture available if the trough gets down fast enough to tap into it then yikes.....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/flash-avn.html

Looks like it.  3-6" expected through Friday night in my area along I-20.  Usually these totals end up busting high but perhaps the tropical nature will cause a bust the other way.

20 hours ago, downeastnc said:

PTC#3 is one big circulation that plus shear should keep this thing in check, that said its got a huge wind field to the east so a lot of real estate is going to see minimum tropical storm force winds and the duration could be pretty long...its a wet system with a deep moisture plume to the east side.....where exactly this thing goes and how much of that moisture gets slammed into the SE is hard to say but its looking really wet for sure in LA and the deep south of MS and AL....but there could be high rain totals well away from the center as the shear continues to push the moisture NE into the SE....

GFS para rainfall totals for the 06Z run

gfsp_apcpn_us_52.thumb.png.127e0e6064a7bc7dc0a8f9b723958520.png

Not sure where all the moisture went, but looks a lot dryer for the Carolinas from Cindys moisture! I guess a front is coming through this weekend , so there is still hope! :)

24 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Not sure where all the moisture went, but looks a lot dryer for the Carolinas from Cindys moisture! I guess a front is coming through this weekend , so there is still hope! :)

Yeah she looks like hell today, and this is considering she has never looked organized at all, if she cant keep it together then the moisture transport wont be as strong etc.....models keep lowering totals which given the last few months isnt a bad thing I guess. 

10 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

The worlds best local met KK on our local fox affiliate, says no heavy rain from this for our area! 1-2" at most and that's the biggest totals on the most aggressive models. Just scattered showers according to her!? Same one who calls for snow only when the grounds white ! SMDH

remember 2 years ago with the floods in Columbia she was calling for a 20% chance of rain 2 days before even though every model was showing 8-12 inches of rain. Good ole KK. 

Archived