• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

KBGM goes with WSW...  I think we need to relax a bit...this looks like a pretty solid system for all of upstate NY, which is a bit rare.  I'm not going to sweat run to run perturbations in model output...esp the 18z versions.  With the wide array of models today, there's always going to be variation.  If 00Z tonight and then 12Z tomorrow change something I'll take it more seriously.  

ACCUMULATIONS...Storm totals of 10 to 15 inches by Wednesday,
  with localized amounts up to 18 inches, especially over the
  higher elevations.

* TIMING...Snow is expected to develop over the region later
  Monday evening, generally after 11 pm to midnight. Snow will
  become heavy at times overnight and on Tuesday. Snowfall rates
  of around an inch per hour are quite possible. Steady, although
  somewhat lighter snow, will continue Tuesday night and
  Wednesday, with additional accumulations.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

SREF's still look good but a 5"-43" spread is laughable with a system that should commence within 36hrs.

Lol! I've never really used the SREF's in a forecast or my review of models for a storm. I guess that's 1 way to score a 100% on a forecast.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

KBGM goes with WSW...  I think we need to relax a bit...this looks like a pretty solid system for all of upstate NY, which is a bit rare.  I'm not going to sweat run to run perturbations in model output...esp the 18z versions.  With the wide array of models today, there's always going to be variation.  If 00Z tonight and then 12Z tomorrow change something I'll take it more seriously.  

ACCUMULATIONS...Storm totals of 10 to 15 inches by Wednesday,
  with localized amounts up to 18 inches, especially over the
  higher elevations.

* TIMING...Snow is expected to develop over the region later
  Monday evening, generally after 11 pm to midnight. Snow will
  become heavy at times overnight and on Tuesday. Snowfall rates
  of around an inch per hour are quite possible. Steady, although
  somewhat lighter snow, will continue Tuesday night and
  Wednesday, with additional accumulations.

I didn't think KBGM would of let 1 model run change their minds anyhow especially considering all the other variables involved.  All the other components of this system are ideal and to some extent damn good looking. I'm talking about the H700 LP and the H850 are in great positions so we'll see!  Precip maps can really screw with ones thinking from run to run especially the way their flip-flopping.

16 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yes again, the SREF are always overdone, and this was from before the 18z models came out (NAM). Garuntee the 21z SREF will drop substantially.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a last minute NW jog to screw over our SNE friends..:lol:

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I think winds, sfc and 850 are more NE'erly...where the HRV gets shafted with significant downsloping precip mins are more in the more freakish high speed due easterly wind flows, such as in a stalled long duration nor'easter.  For the average nor'easter, which this will be...not so much, although elevated areas of course do better than the valley.  I saw several nice nor'easter dumps living in Albany northern burbs when i was there.

This.  There shouldn't be downslope issues here. Biggest issues I can see here are a more offshore track, or some mega band just to our east causing us to smoke subsidence. The last time we got 100% screwed from downsloping was December 1992. It's pretty rare. Even stalling storms are ok depending on the prevailing wind direction (ironically enough, our largest storm on record March 1888). Hopefully the globals have the right idea and all of upstate can do well with this!

UK is definitely a legit model. I agree that the GFS is out to lunch; you can see the MSLP chasing the heavy precip east off the NJ coast. Even if the track is correct then there should be far more precip thrown into eastern PA and NJ than it's showing.

The 18z RGEM also ticked west by 25 miles or so; the heavy banding makes it up to BGM and UCA.

13 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I just heard, from the NE board the the new RPM takes the low over CT and up through KBOS and into the GOM! Brings rain all the way into 495.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This has been one hectic storm for modeling. Back and forth. Good then ugly. Exhilaratingly fantastic then disasteriously heartbreaking... and the storm hasn't even happened yet. The way I look at it, whatever snow we do get will look good on top of the small base (just enough to completely cover the grass) so it's all a bonus wether it's 4" or 14". 

Archived