joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petersburg, WV already up to 81 with decent sun.  If we don't get this low level junk out of here soon it's going to be painful to watch a great squall line form in the mountains and then die right at our doorstep.  It's one thing to be socked in at 54 with fog and a stiff NE wind, but to get wedged at 75 degrees is another level of torture.

Past few frames of the visible satellite shows this overcast starting to mix out in DA, VA and S. MD.  Maybe we squeaks something out.  Looks like the temps in SE PA and Delaware have jumped up too so perhaps there's a warm front or something subtle at the surface trying to push further north.

13 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Past few frames of the visible satellite shows this overcast starting to mix out in DA, VA and S. MD.  Maybe we squeaks something out.  Looks like the temps in SE PA and Delaware have jumped up too so perhaps there's a warm front or something subtle at the surface trying to push further north.

think the front may be running north along the MD/PA border. 15z meso page shows a little bulge in surface pressure west to east. Surface obs also show a clear wind shift from MD into PA, and DP much lower in PA

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

14z HRRR likes a major sup around Winchester to near FDK around 00z... huge UHI swath from that storm as it moves NE... meanwhile 14z HRRR still better IMO for our area as it keeps DPs >64

That area has cleared out nicely so it makes sense.  I've resigned myself that we aren't going to get a regionwide severe event this spring so tracking the Winchester -> FDK corridor vicariously through radar will have to do.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That area has cleared out nicely so it makes sense.  I've resigned myself that we aren't going to get a regionwide severe event this spring so tracking the Winchester -> FDK corridor vicariously through radar will have to do.

Lots of spring left to score something. And then maybe we'll have an exciting derecho season lol. 

mcd0621.gif

Mesoscale Discussion 0621
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1059 AM CDT Mon May 01 2017

Areas affected...eastern Ohio...West Virginia through western
   Pennsylvania

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch likely 

Valid 011559Z - 011800Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...95 percent

SUMMARY...Thunderstorms are expected to undergo a gradual increase
   in coverage and intensity into the afternoon from eastern portions
   of Ohio through West Virginia into western Pennsylvania. Damaging
   wind and a few tornadoes will be the main threats. A tornado watch
   will likely be needed by 17Z.

DISCUSSION...As of mid day storms have shown some increase in
   intensity and organization over southeast OH. This activity is
   developing along a cold front that stretches from the Great Lakes
   through eastern OH into eastern KY. The downstream warm sector is
   only weakly capped but marginally unstable. However trends in
   visible imagery show numerous cloud breaks, and the boundary layer
   should undergo destabilization next few hours supporting 500-1000
   J/kg MLCAPE. Very strong deep layer winds will persist in this
   region as a mid-level jet coupled with a strong low-level jet within
   eastern periphery of the upper low circulation shifts northeast
   during the day. Latest VWP data show 70 kt surface to 6 km shear and
   large 0-1 km hodographs. This high shear-low CAPE environment will
   support organized structures with mixed storm modes including bowing
   line segments and supercells as activity develops east through the
   destabilizing warm sector.

..Dial/Grams.. 05/01/2017

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...CTP...RNK...PBZ...RLX...CLE...

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

SPC mesoanalysis on RAP/SfcOA Fcst really liking the 21z timeframe in N VA/DC/MD with sup composite of 8, large area of SigTor of 1, and eff shear of 40-45 kts... 1500 MLCAPE and 2000 SBCAPE

That's from an old run - look at the time stamp. I thought the same thing initially. 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

No its not... it shows up teh same at 2200... check again

If you're looking at +6 on that - it says yesterday's date. You can tell it seems weird too because it jumps around from the prior frame. 

Look at the timestamp down below - unless you and I are not looking at the same thing. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

If you're looking at +6 on that - it says yesterday's date. You can tell it seems weird too because it jumps around from the prior frame. 

Look at the timestamp down below - unless you and I are not looking at the same thing. 

Weird... I see the date, but I believe that is just an error in itself because the movement of everything looks fluid as you go from +4 and +6

Just now, yoda said:

Weird... I see the date, but I believe that is just an error in itself because the movement of everything looks fluid as you go from +4 and +6

It does not look fluid to me at all from +4 to +6. In fact, the parameters match yesterday when the lone supercell went NW of the area before fizzling. Look at the CAPE distribution. 

That I-81 corridor is cooking pretty good.  Hagerstown and Harpers Ferry into the low 80s.  York and Gettysburg are now well into the upper 70s too.  That seems like the zone.  Wouldn't shock me if SPC pulls the ENH back west of the cities with the afternoon update.

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That I-81 corridor is cooking pretty good.  Hagerstown and Harpers Ferry into the low 80s.  York and Gettysburg are now well into the upper 70s too.  That seems like the zone.  Wouldn't shock me if SPC pulls the ENH back west of the cities with the afternoon update.

Back to Blue Ridge

Archived