Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
T-Storm/Squall Line Threat II 3/1

dmillz25

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Yeah something big like the May 1998 or Labor Day 1998 outbreaks or the microburst we had a few Septembers ago.

But even then with the September 2010 event I don't think we were in an enhanced or moderate risk. Not even sure if a watch was issued that day. I remember the squall line blowing up over Jersey and then really going to town once it crossed into the city.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NJwx85 said:

I bet on average it's less than that. Even so, we usually do our best when the overall risk isn't that high. Look at how much damage there was in certain areas on Saturday and the highest probability from SPC didn't exceed 15%.

Is 15% slight risk or enhanced?

I was thinking something like 5% is slight, 15% is enhanced and 30% is moderate.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

But even then with the September 2010 event I don't think we were in an enhanced or moderate risk. Not even sure if a watch was issued that day. I remember the squall line blowing up over Jersey and then really going to town once it crossed into the city.

Yeah one of the most widespread severe outbreaks for our area.  I think the Labor Day 1998 outbreak was bigger though personally because there was an F2 tornado about 2 miles from me lol.

Just now, Paragon said:

Yeah one of the most widespread severe outbreaks for our area.  I think the Labor Day 1998 outbreak was bigger though personally because there was an F2 tornado about 2 miles from me lol.

Well 98 was a long lived derecho. Something very rare for these parts. A tornado hit my town as well though I wasn't living there are the time.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Is 15% slight risk or enhanced?

I was thinking something like 5% is slight, 15% is enhanced and 30% is moderate.

15% is slight risk. 30% is enhanced. They used to put 30% at slight risk too, but that caused confusion. Moderate risk starts at 45%.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Well 98 was a long lived derecho. Something very rare for these parts. A tornado hit my town as well though I wasn't living there are the time.

So glad this has its own wiki page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Labor_Day_derechos

The New York State Labor Day Derechos were two derecho events that occurred on Labor Day, September 7, 1998. One derecho moved through northern and central New York state, and the other would start in southeastern Michigan and move through northeastern Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Long Island.

Syracuse Labor Day derecho[edit]

220px-Syrloop.gif

Doppler radar animation of the Syracuse Labor Day derecho

The northernmost derecho (dubbed the Syracuse Labor Day Derecho and referred to locally as the Labor Day Storm), got its start in northwestern New York just before midnight on September 7 after several thunderstorm cells coming from Ontarioconverged to become a bow echo. It quickly moved southeastward through New York. Some of the worst damage occurred atRochester, Syracuse, and Utica. Three people were killed, two of them at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse. An 89-mph (140-km/h) wind gust was recorded at the Rochester airport and a 77-mph (128-km/h) gust was recorded at the Syracuse airport. Winds peaked at 115 mph (192 km/h). Tens of thousands of trees were blown down. Embedded within this derecho was a supercell thunderstorm, which produced an extensive damage path from the Syracuse area, through the northern suburbs of Albany, and into western Vermont. Lightning with this particular storm was reported by many in its path as extreme, creating twilight conditions in Rochester, and daylight conditions on its rampage down the Mohawk Valley. The constant lightning was striking as many as 10–20 times per second. Damage was estimated at $130 million. Many in the region were without electricity for over a week.

New York City Labor Day derecho[edit]

375px-Syracuse-Rochester_Derecho.jpg

Map of the Labor Day Derechos (courtesy of NOAA)

As the Syracuse Derecho moved into New England, a new derecho started developing in southeastern Michigan at around 4 A.M. EDT and followed a track just to the south of the first one. The derecho raced through northeastern Ohio and Pennsylvania, New Jersey and ended up in New York in the mid-afternoon hours. Four people were killed and 62 were injured, mainly in the New Jersey and the New York City area, but damage also extended east to Long Island and Southwestern Connecticut. Thousands of trees were blown down and about 100 boats were overturned. Over 300,000 customers lost power and power was not restored until five days after the event. Four smalltornadoes were spawned by this storm, including an F2 tornado in Lynbrook, New York, that caused 6 injuries and $1 million in damage.[1]

See also[edit]

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Here is one moderate risk day that actually worked out pretty well.

Image result for September 7th 2012 spc outlook

I confuse this one with the September 2010 outbreak sometimes, what was the difference between the two? Two years apart and in the same month.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

15% is slight risk. 30% is enhanced. They used to put 30% at slight risk too, but that caused confusion. Moderate risk starts at 45%.

Thanks, multiples of 15- that should be easy to remember lol.  I remember that with precipitation, once it gets to 30% you start taking it seriously.  Same here?

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Plainfield's 1998 Tornado

Plainfield's tornado hit on LABOR DAY 1998.

Hundreds of trees were downed -- 125 city trees among them -- many damaging homes and cars. Sections of the city were without power for days as crews -- including mutual assistance from surrounding communities -- worked to clear the streets and get power restored.

Here are two pictures:

Tornado-1998-LaborDay-West9th-CentralAve

(Above) A large tree hit the home of longtime community activist Al Jackson at West 9th Street and Central Avenue.

Tornado-1998-LaborDay-Central-BetwStell-

(Above) Tree was uprooted and fell across Central Avenue between Stelle Avenue and Randolph Road.

22 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Plainfield's 1998 Tornado

Plainfield's tornado hit on LABOR DAY 1998.

Hundreds of trees were downed -- 125 city trees among them -- many damaging homes and cars. Sections of the city were without power for days as crews -- including mutual assistance from surrounding communities -- worked to clear the streets and get power restored.

Here are two pictures:

Tornado-1998-LaborDay-West9th-CentralAve

(Above) A large tree hit the home of longtime community activist Al Jackson at West 9th Street and Central Avenue.

Tornado-1998-LaborDay-Central-BetwStell-

(Above) Tree was uprooted and fell across Central Avenue between Stelle Avenue and Randolph Road.

Wow that was a lot of damage.  Thousands of trees down.

7 minutes ago, LIWeatherGuy29 said:

I was 13 at the time but I do remember damage everywhere in Lynbrook in 1998 from the tornado. I don't think we've had a thunderstorm like that since then.

It went right down Merrick Road and Sunrise Highway!

Archived