Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-Storm/Squall Line Threat II 3/1

dmillz25

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We didn't get anything during that MDT risk day and there were a bunch of bust posts that caused a dispute in the thread. But the Sep 10 QLCS./Macroburst/tornado pounded the city with not that much here on LI. I was actually out that day and didn't tune into Craig Allen on the car radio until I heard continuous static on the radio and knew something really big was up.

It would be interesting to rank our severe wx outbreaks.  The ones that stand out clearly in my mind are Oct 1989, Sept 1998, Sept 2010 and Sept 2012.  Might be a few others that I missed.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It would be interesting to rank our severe wx outbreaks.  The ones that stand out clearly in my mind are Oct 1989, Sept 1998, Sept 2010 and Sept 2012.  Might be a few others that I missed.

My best one was the Labor Day Derecho back in Sep 98. That was the only time while in Long Beach that I got severe wind and hail in the same storm. Probably the darkest that I ever saw the sky get during the mid afternoon that time of year. It was also the closest that I ever got to a tornado which struck in Lynbrook.

34 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I've never even experienced a "severe" thunderstorm. I mean, I've been through a few that I'd deem severe, especially in terms of lightning, but none that fit the official definition.

Many years ago - maybe 1983 - 1984 there was a severe thunderstorm in the Melville area where I was working at the time.  It was in the summer and a slow moving storm came through.  It got as dark as night and stayed that way for close to a half hour.  I have never seen anything like that before or since.  You have all probably heard the expression "it got as dark as night" before only this really was the case.  It really was as dark as I have ever seen it during a day time thunderstorm - it was pitch black outside.  It was accompanied by torrential rain and lightning.  I heard later that the top of the storm was 60,000' high.  If anyone has any history on this one please share it.

34 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Many years ago - maybe 1983 - 1984 there was a severe thunderstorm in the Melville area where I was working at the time.  It was in the summer and a slow moving storm came through.  It got as dark as night and stayed that way for close to a half hour.  I have never seen anything like that before or since.  You have all probably heard the expression "it got as dark as night" before only this really was the case.  It really was as dark as I have ever seen it during a day time thunderstorm - it was pitch black outside.  It was accompanied by torrential rain and lightning.  I heard later that the top of the storm was 60,000' high.  If anyone has any history on this one please share it.

I grew up in Melville and there were a few severe storms when i lived there, including the 1998 Labor Day Derecho. I will never forget that day. Blew down half the trees in our neighborhood. We have had a few others over the years, including a microburst in the summer of 2004. Was a wild event then. 

LI gets its share of severe weather. Not as much as out west but we get our fair share. I have lived on the island for 25 of my 32 years on this planet, and i can recall at least 10 severe storms. 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

My best one was the Labor Day Derecho back in Sep 98. That was the only time while in Long Beach that I got severe wind and hail in the same storm. Probably the darkest that I ever saw the sky get during the mid afternoon that time of year. It was also the closest that I ever got to a tornado which struck in Lynbrook.

How large was the hail with that event? I am trying to remember the largest hail event we've had- I think it was somewhere in the 90s but not sure of the exact year.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

I really hope we have an active severe weather season this spring and summer. I am a fan of those multi severe weather days when we have 3-4 days in a row of strong to severe thunderstorms moving from southwest to northeast during the afternoon and evening hours.

We actually have those?  I can't remember ever seeing something like that- our severe events seem to be more of the one and done variety with an extreme change in airmass.

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I do remember we had more spring severe outbreaks back in the 90s for some reason.  Recently it's been more of the fall variety.

2009 or 10 was the last time I can remember having multi severe weather days in a row. Also I believe 2011 was decent as well especially August which was very wet leading up to tropical storm Irene. Since the blizzard back in January of 2016 the weather has been pretty quiet and boring overall, eventually that will change.

Just now, Rtd208 said:

2009 or 10 was the last time I can remember having multi severe weather days in a row. Also I believe 2011 was decent as well especially August which was very wet leading up to tropical storm Irene. Since the blizzard back in January of 2016 the weather has been pretty quiet and boring overall, eventually that will change.

August 2011 was one of my favorite months for stormy weather.  We had that unforgettable day when the heavy rain just wouldn't stop- BW probably remembers that, we had something like 10" of rain in one day.  The ISP heavy rain event was more spectacular for that one area, but August 2011 was more widespread.  Then we had that east coast earthquake (who could forget that?) and then Irene.  It even exceeded October 2005 in my mind for storminess.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

August 2011 was one of my favorite months for stormy weather.  We had that unforgettable day when the heavy rain just wouldn't stop- BW probably remembers that, we had something like 10" of rain in one day.  The ISP heavy rain event was more spectacular for that one area, but August 2011 was more widespread.  Then we had that east coast earthquake (who could forget that?) and then Irene.  It even exceeded October 2005 in my mind for storminess.

I will suspect that the spring/summer severe weather season will be at least be more active around these parts then the last couple of years. I am still of the idea that we will see a major storm either this month and/or next month that will produce several inches of rain along with other weather hazards. As far as snow goes I think we are pretty much done overall.

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

I will suspect that the spring/summer severe weather season will be at least be more active around these parts then the last couple of years. I am still of the idea that we will see a major storm either this month and/or next month that will produce several inches of rain along with other weather hazards. As far as snow goes I think we are pretty much done overall.

Sort of along the lines of a big noreaster or a big severe weather outbreak?  If it's severe weather it's likely to wait until late April or May when we get some of our larger outbreaks.

8 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Major nor'easter type storm. 

Noreaster- March through Mid April.  Severe Wx outbreak between Late April-May.  Heat sets in for June, July, August.  Big severe wx outbreak in September, which becomes our first (-) month, but just barely.  S (-), O (-) First noreaster of next season in October, and November will be (+).  How's that for a general forecast? ;-)  Not that I have much faith in LR outlooks lol.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Noreaster- March through Mid April.  Severe Wx outbreak between Late April-May.  Heat sets in for June, July, August.  Big severe wx outbreak in September, which becomes our first (-) month, but just barely.  S (-), O (-) and November will be (+).  How's that for a general forecast? ;-)  Not that I have much faith in LR outlooks lol.

I wouldn't get into specifics lol.

4 hours ago, Paragon said:

There's an awesome thread on here, that needs to be revived that ranks some of the top severe weather events over the years:

4 hours ago, Rock888 said:

There's an awesome thread on here, that needs to be revived that ranks some of the top severe weather events over the years:

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about some of the earlier 2000 outbreaks in that thread including the 2007 Brooklyn tornado (was that the one in Park Slope?) I think Brooklyn had  tornadoes in that outbreak.

5 hours ago, Paragon said:

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about some of the earlier 2000 outbreaks in that thread including the 2007 Brooklyn tornado (was that the one in Park Slope?) I think Brooklyn had  tornadoes in that outbreak.

That 2007 Brooklyn tornado was an interesting event. Long Beach picked up several inches of rain with early morning flooding. The remnant meso from the tornado passed right over Long Beach with rotation still visible in the clouds. First time that I ever saw that in Long Beach.

OCEANSIDE             2.77   800 AM   8/8   NWS CO-OP
   EAST MEADOW           2.52   800 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER
   WANTAGH               2.16   810 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER
   FARMINGDALE           2.14  1000 AM   8/8   ASOS
   CARLE PLACE           1.59   630 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That 2007 Brooklyn tornado was an interesting event. Long Beach picked up several inches of rain with early morning flooding. The remnant meso from the tornado passed right over Long Beach with rotation still visible in the clouds. First time that I ever saw that in Long Beach.

OCEANSIDE             2.77   800 AM   8/8   NWS CO-OP
   EAST MEADOW           2.52   800 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER
   WANTAGH               2.16   810 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER
   FARMINGDALE           2.14  1000 AM   8/8   ASOS
   CARLE PLACE           1.59   630 AM   8/8   SKYWARN SPOTTER

I remember the rotation of the clouds passing over head.  Here's a photo of me standing in the flooding on shore road back when I lived right on the boardwalk

IMG_0409.JPG

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I remember the rotation of the clouds passing over head.  Here's a photo of me standing in the flooding on shore road back when I lived right on the boardwalk

IMG_0409.JPG

Great Picture. I believe the NWS still has that cell TOR warned while it was coming into the Atlantic Beach area. Seeing that rotating meso pass right overhead was one of my most memorable weather experiences living in Long Beach. I went to get my morning bagel near National and Park and water from the street had come right up to the front door a few hours earlier.

Archived