Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chicago's Epic Snow Drought

Hoosier

25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

The rubber band has snapped for ORD. After getting pounded like a cheap steak and Alek with snows up to his a$$, the boomerang has produced a case of whiplash.

EDIT: And Baum bought a snowblower that he'd sell cheap.

That always happens it seems.    That should also mean there's one hell of a winter(s) coming up for IND - CMH.  Hopefully still in my lifetime.   

Should also mean Detroit's loan is about to be called.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, Jonger said:

There is no sugar coating it... This winter was almost wall to wall crap. December was decent, but the moment the 18th rolled around, it was done.

DJF featured 2 good weeks and then winter essentially ended for everyone south of 44N.

Earliest end to Winter, ever? I find it difficult to call this year a Winter. Like powerball said, its been a long March more than anything. 

And we could be on the heels of another Nino. Would be brutal if that occurred. The atmosphere is still locked in a +ENSO state and this would only further enhance it.  

4 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Earliest end to Winter, ever? I find it difficult to call this year a Winter. Like powerball said, its been a long March more than anything. 

And we could be on the heels of another Nino. Would be brutal if that occurred. The atmosphere is still locked in a +ENSO state and this would only further enhance it.  

When you've studied as many winters as I have, the things that have happened over the years have been mind boggling (both good and bad). So any kind of generalized statement not linked to a specific stat (ie "earliest end ever") would be a matter of opinion. Being so spoiled in recent winters hasn't helped in showing how many truly crap winters there have been in the past. I will say though that this crazy snow drought at ORD is mind boggling to me, I'd be going nuts.

No point in worrying about next winter. Like I said, ENSO is only one factor and a that factor would be in our favor if it's weak. Rubber bands do snap and they don't last forever.

9 hours ago, buckeye said:

That always happens it seems.    That should also mean there's one hell of a winter(s) coming up for IND - CMH.  Hopefully still in my lifetime.   

Should also mean Detroit's loan is about to be called.

You definitely should have a good winter coming up. The band's always snap, of course the end results vary. I'm sure Detroit's glory days the past decade are up, but I honestly cant ever see us going thru what chicago is, with the lake right there. Even this year as unenjoyable as winger has been, total snow is not at all that bad. Fwiw I can't see chicago going thru that again either lol. 

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

You definitely should have a good winter coming up. The band's always snap, of course the end results vary. I'm sure Detroit's glory days the past decade are up, but I honestly cant ever see us going thru what chicago is, with the lake right there. Even this year as unenjoyable as winger has been, total snow is not at all that bad. Fwiw I can't see chicago going thru that again either lol. 

Barring some huge shift in climate where Chicago starts acting like Paducah or something, I'd say it's exceedingly unlikely to pull off this long of a streak again.  You just need so many bad breaks even in an overall bad pattern.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Barring some huge shift in climate where Chicago starts acting like Paducah or something, I'd say it's exceedingly unlikely to pull off this long of a streak again.  You just need so many bad breaks even in an overall bad pattern.

Exactly. You bring up a good point...while this was a bad pattern anyway, Chicago still got some bad breaks as well. 

9 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Lol if that piddly event breaks the streak :lmao:

Setup looks decent enough that whoever gets in that band should get 1"+ ...and it's mostly a nighttime event in northern IL with favorable temps.  Question is whether that band ends up over ORD.

What would be funny is if it comes in slightly early and ORD gets like 0.2" tomorrow and 0.8" on Saturday.  The streak would technically live on.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Setup looks decent enough that whoever gets in that band should get 1"+ ...and it's mostly a nighttime event in northern IL with favorable temps.  Question is whether that band ends up over ORD.

What would be funny is if it comes in slightly early and ORD gets like 0.2" tomorrow and 0.8" on Saturday.  The streak would technically live on.

That would definitely be funny if that happened, but it looks fairly possible as of now.

The other question is will guidance hold. The clipper from today was once was modeled further north and stronger, but faded quickly.

43 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Records and top 10's from Met Winter...

17098358_1398774240192529_30835472833751

Great list of stats.

Something that caught my eye (because I've been researching to death) is your list of least days in Jan/Feb with 1".  After searching for a while, I found this site that has the daily snowfall for the years that are missing in the ThreadEx data (like 1897-1900, 1998).  Really helped to fill in the gaps.

https://www.climatestations.com/chicago/

On 3/1/2017 at 0:26 PM, Snowstorms said:

I know this year is not behaving like a La Nina for the central and eastern CONUS, but look at the snowpack of the rockies and pacific nw and it has been very la nina like for them.  Storm after storm just barreling into the west coast dumping mountain snow and valley rains.  Unfortunately these storms  have either weaken as they cross the rockies or cut north into the prairie provinces of Canada flooding everyone in the eastern half of the CONUS with warmth.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

RAP decreasing amounts too.

Man. Almost unbelievable. Into march and the only "overperformer" was our first storm of the season. Downhill since into new lows.

Have a dusting currently in mby, and upstream radar looks good (all things considered). Looks like I may jackpot and ORD/MDW continue the streak

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This winter is delivering all kinds of stats that we probably won't see again for a very long time.

It's really just mind boggling, how a city that far north has managed to avoid a measly 1" snowfall for 2.5 months. Records are made to be broken. 

Archived