Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential light snow 1/29 overnight to 1/30 thread

North Balti Zen

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

That NAM fire wx nest run has some very impressive reflectivities over the area Monday afternoon - seemingly convection in an environment with a few hundred j/kg of cape.    

Looks like some decent PVA according to the NAM 12km. 4km even showing some burst pockets over NMD by Emmitsburg and across the border. They develop over the Laurels in PA and stream down from the WNW. Given the environment, they could whiten areas probably nicely in a short period of time. 

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Looks like some decent PVA according to the NAM 12km. 4km even showing some burst pockets over NMD by Emmitsburg and across the border. They develop over the Laurels in PA and stream down from the WNW. Given the environment, they could whiten areas probably nicely in a short period of time. 

agreed.   NAM thunder parameter shows a modest signal for tomorrow afternoon too.

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

agreed.   NAM thunder parameter shows a modest signal for tomorrow afternoon too.

That'll surprise some people in the area if that occurs. Absolutely no one talking about anything for tomorrow afternoon from what I see. Might have to do a little drive up to MD Line if it comes to fruition. 

32 degrees with a 25 degree dewpoint here in Dale City with light snow.

All surfaces are wet.

Main roads are brined.

We have relatively warm roads. Highs have been in the low 50s for days on end, with lows barely falling to near freezing.

I am expecting a coating of slush on my car top by 6am and possibly a trace to one sixteenth of an inch of slush on grassy areas. No snow will accumulate on roads or sidewalks here.

Washington will see moderate snow by 230am and I expect 2-3 inches of snow there by 6am. Enjoy.

Its really nice to see snow falling again, I had forgotten what it looked like.

150am in Dale City, 32 degrees with moderate snow. Many of the flakes are half an inch in diameter. My car top is turning white.

DC --- YOU. ARE. NEXT!!!!

I never expected snow of this intensity. It is verging on outright heavy. Visibilities are dropping. We are seeing greens on the radar elements, and even some yellow! If we get hit by yellow reflectivities we might get some measurable accumulation on grass. If it continues long enough and we can coax the temperature to fall a couple of degrees...........

202am Dale City 31 degrees. Grass is beginning to turn white with about one eighth of an inch of snow. Moderate snow continues, even larger flakes are starting to mix in. Roads/sidewalks not yet getting snow covered. Metal top of my car is white, the windshield is still wet.

Mid Prince William County - You might want to look out, radar is showing banding developing over you with time. This is well west of my BY. That should propagate NEWD over Fairfax then into DC.

Area of snow looks like it may be redeveloping to the southwest, then again, could just be my snow weenie hallucinations.

Fairfax County - Green radar elements are moving over you! This means moderate snow!

Steady moderate snow, 30 degrees. I have half an inch on my lawn and car top and the windshield is turning white now. Snow is trying to build on roads and sidewalks, I can tell because the optical reflectivity is changing. Even darker green radar elements are moving in from the southwest.

JEBWALK ALERT!!

I can see the snow being blown sideways past a streetlight on the other side of my block!! That means we are getting some serious snow rates right now!

234am, Dale City 30 degrees with steady moderate snow. I can see that parts of the roads, particularly roads that are part of a hill, are beginning to turn white. Sidewalks are not white yet. Cartop and lawn have three quarters of an inch of snow on them as do the tops of my bushes. I had forgotten what snowpack looked like.

Washington DC'ers, you should be experiencing the dark greens soon.

I think this band just might be edging over into my backyard. 250am, heavy snow, 30 degrees. I have 1.5 inches of snow on my lawn. I picked up three quarters of an inch in the past 16 minutes. Yeah, that might be heavy snow. It's just POURING DOWN.

Looks like 50 percent of the roads are turning white now, and parts of the sidewalks are also starting to turn white. The forecast was for 1 to 2 inches of snow.

I think this might overperform. We'll see. I have been monitoring the back edge. It is NOT moving NE with time. Its just staying put, and dark greens continue, and yellows are showing up.

29 degrees as of 3am.

I was not really expecting much out of this. i was cautiously expecting steady snow, and a slushy coating, maybe a quarter inch, on the car and the grass. As of 305am I have two inches of snow on my lawn. Radar is interesting. I really dont mean to be greedy here, but I am wondering: can we do 3 inches?

32/32 with moderate snow.

Grass has turned white but not completely covered. Roads are just wet. Radar looks like another 30 minutes or so of snow so maybe we can pick up a quarter to half of an inch, with rates, but looks like it won't amount to much. Pretty out.

As I typed the previous message, heavy snow now falling... sticking everywhere, including roads. Salt truck just came by so the roads won't be an issue.

Pretty big flakes... too bad this isn't happening for 2/3 hours, instead of 30 minutes. Probably the best rates of the season (although the burst of snow a few weeks back in that squall was better due to temps).

One thing I regret - I want EVERYONE on this Mid Atlantic board to get snow. I want the western posters to get 3 feet, and I get one foot, and DC and Maryland get pasted with 33 inches, and Westminster gets immobilized by 50 inches.

Its NOT fun unless the storm is big and slow moving and smashes EVERYONE, even Long Island and SNE and we all end up spending two weeks diggin' out.

The more, the merrier.

February is going to be good times.

2 minutes ago, SLPressure said:

Not yet. Not a gambler but I may visit in the spring to one of the restaurants and enjoy the deck.

Snow sticking nicely. Too bad this won't go on for too much longer.

The snow was definitely fun! So was MGM on the night of December 8 2016! I won 140 dollars, with only 3 dollars, on a quarter slot.

You said you aren't a gambler but you should bring a couple hundred dollars just for fun, hit up one of the dollar machines, bet max, 3 dollars a hit, You never know, you just might hit a jackpot!

Still moderate snow but the flake size is much smaller now... the heavy band is over and just light to moderate snow remains for the next 30 minutes or so it looks like.

We have a solid half inch on the lawn and patio furniture now... so better than I thought. Again, too bad this won't continue until 7/8am or else folks would wake up to much more. Very pretty out tho and folks should have a snow commute to look forward to. Roads look fine tho, if they have been salted.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived