Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential light snow 1/29 overnight to 1/30 thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was going to start a thread but thank God you beat me to it. 

I'm going with fail until proven wrong, but clippers are about my favorite system around here. I could see this trend a touch stronger as we get closer to gametime. 

I expect 3-6" region wide before it ends.

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

That's a very narrow band for the models to nail down. Enough enhancement east of the mountains showing up, suggesting that the jackpot should be decent. But we're still too far out to determine where that jackpot falls.

Exactly. Just look at the 12z 12km, 4km, and 3km NAM. Keying on slightly different areas. This will shift around.

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't like the NAM triplets, verbatim there is a strange jump in the precip field in some of those panels, and I'm still nursing burns from earlier in the season. 

It was heartening to see the GFS and RGEM though. I'm not sure it happens, but I like the possibility that instead of a weak and tattered system rolling through, a low actually starts to develop a bit, bringing us a more defined period of light snow (if that makes sense). That's how we maximize potential here IMO. 

Yeah the RGEM and GFS imply a more widespread light event, although there will likely be a pretty narrow area that gets the higher amounts. And by higher I mean maybe 1-2".

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking at 12z nam at 500 mb looks like it would favor DC  and points s/e . The energy looks to straddle the Va/ NC line as it passes. Baltimore north would want a central Va. Vort pass . Meso models look like they agree . Hopefully someone can get couple inches out of it to boost moral in here.

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=nam&p=500hv&rh=2017012812&fh=42&r=conus&dpdt=

Those ns vorts are notorious for trending north at the last minute.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Ditto that ....we're inside 40 hours though and within meso range . Tonights runs hopefully narrow things down a bit.

I remember a system here in 2011 that looked good for 2-4" area wide and the vort went about 50-75 miles north the the morning of.  We got a dusting.

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Euro looked meh to me.

It hasn't been too exciting overall. It does hint at some enhancement along the coast with the offshore low. Its not likely but maybe that could trend a bit better. Looks good for the immediate coast. Heck of a January for coastal DE.

48 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It hasn't been too exciting overall. It does hint at some enhancement along the coast with the offshore low. Its not likely but maybe that could trend a bit better. Looks good for the immediate coast. Heck of a January for coastal DE.

I'm loving it so far. That one storm alone gave us above our seasonal average, as I'm sure you well know. I personally wasn't expecting much from this one, but now it seems like we might have a shot at a inch or 2...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived