Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

44 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z Euro is much weaker with the backdoor cold front on Friday. Lower 70's from EWR to NYC on Friday afternoon. TTN, ACY and PHI are all 70+. We get into the lower 60's on Saturday ahead of the cold front. Then after a brief cool down from Sunday to Monday we're pushing the lower 50's again on Monday afternoon and then we're back into the middle 60's on Wednesday.

Other than a few day transient period of colder weather and the possibilty of anothr brief cool down during the second week of March, I'm ready to pronounce. 

The operational GFS was all on its own. The GEFS looked absolutely nothing like it at all, neither do any of the other models. Huge outlier. The long range op GFS being the long range op GFS as usual...

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The operational GFS was all on its own. The GEFS looked absolutely nothing like it at all, neither do any of the other models. Huge outlier. The long range op GFS being the long range op GFS as usual...

Gefs improved and it should get cold by the 1st week of March. The first 2 weeks of March is our shot of snowfall. After that , thats it.

18 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Assuming the Euro is an inferno as no one posted a day 12 snowmap yet

Just now, Snow88 said:

Gefs improved and it should get cold by the 1st week of March. The first 2 weeks of March is our shot of snowfall. After that , thats it.

In a climo year yes...with this year's warmth and phony long range "Great patterns" it's likely going to be much shorter than 2 weeks for our window

35 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Assuming the Euro is an inferno as no one posted a day 12 snowmap yet

The first few days of March are a torch on the Euro, then it cools off to near normal. The 2nd week of March may be normal/near normal, then the signal is extremely strong for retrogression of the -WPO by mid-month and the beginning of another big torch. Mid-March looks to be all she wrote for winter

26 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The first few days of March are a torch on the Euro, then it cools off to near normal. The 2nd week of March may be normal/near normal, then the signal is extremely strong for retrogression of the -WPO by mid-month and the beginning of another big torch. Mid-March looks to be all she wrote for winter

With a chance a snow before mid month. It's funny how you only post about warmth.

Check out the eps.

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

6Z gfs gets really cold by the long range

Early to mid march keeps looking good for wintry weather 

Would fit the theme this winter. 2 weeks warm followed by a cold spell. If those clippers produce and the majority of the area is above normal snowfall and temps its a win win in my book. 

Teleconnections IF correct this morning shows negative AO, neutral PNA and slightly negative NAO. Not sure about EPO.

54 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

6Z gfs gets really cold by the long range

Early to mid march keeps looking good for wintry weather 

Let me ask you, how "cold" do think it's actually going to get with no snow cover, bare ground, very low soil moisture, wide open unfrozen Great Lakes, a March sun, long daylight hours, and much warmer than normal Atlantic SSTAs all along the coast?

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Remember when the end of February into the beginning of March was supposed to be "very cold" on the long range GFS too? We're going to be in shorts for it

We've had great patterns modeled all winter.   Reality is a short burst of cold that has luckily been accompanied by snow.   I do think we get one more shot of cold and snow in March, but it's quick hitting and we're back to the torch in no time.

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Let me ask you, how "cold" do think it's actually going to get with no snow cover, bare ground, very low soil moisture, wide open unfrozen Great Lakes, a March sun, long daylight hours, and much warmer than normal Atlantic SSTAs all along the coast?

Not sure how low the soil moisture is at the moment. Looks like it is normal to above normal in the Northeast.

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/soil-moisture-anomalies/

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

People are going to be disappointed if the short burst of colder temps after March 5th comes in dry with a suppressed storm track before temps rebound again.Would be nice to put together one last measurable event before we close the books on what little winter we had this year.

Nobody on LI or CT should be complaining about this winter. We are all headed for above normal snowfall. I think it has been great, when its cold we snow, and when its not snowing, its warm. Low heating bills and above normal snowfall. win-win. 

I think the area is good for another moderate snowfall, which would put a good portion of CT and parts of LI over 40", for the second year in a row. Not bad.

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nobody on LI or CT should be complaining about this winter. We are all headed for above normal snowfall. I think it has been great, when its cold we snow, and when its not snowing, its warm. Low heating bills and above normal snowfall. win-win. 

I think the area is good for another moderate snowfall, which would put a good portion of CT and parts of LI over 40", for the second year in a row. Not bad.

I'm at about average for snow. Maybe we're in for another 2-4" event but based on the pattern coming up it would be a lucky break at the beginning or end of a cold snap or as part of a switchover to rain. Temps-wise we were well above average, so the snow we saw was largely gone in a week or less where I am, so it's hard to go above a C- for this winter. Maybe we get one last hurrah to lift things up. 

Also, much of NJ is well below average for snow. Philly is still at 6" and the D.C. area a few inches or less. Going west into PA, the winter has been awful for most. 

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'm at about average for snow. Maybe we're in for another 2-4" event but based on the pattern coming up it would be a lucky break at the beginning or end of a cold snap or as part of a switchover to rain. Temps-wise we were well above average, so the snow we saw was largely gone in a week or less where I am, so it's hard to go above a C- for this winter. Maybe we get one last hurrah to lift things up. 

Also, much of NJ is well below average for snow. Philly is still at 6" and the D.C. area a few inches or less. Going west into PA, the winter has been awful for most. 

I think Baltimore has like 0.7" of snow for the season and DC is barely over 1"  We are pretty lucky to have our 27" or so.

40 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yes, I'm actually looking forward to a nice hot summer. early 2010s style.

Archived