joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Yeah, that avatar has been killin me for yrs now, lol!!

What the hell is an avatar? I will come up with a new one soon but loved Benny Hill growing up in the late 70's and 80's. Maybe Stormy Meredith or Bud Hedinger! LOL

28 minutes ago, phoenixny said:

What the hell is an avatar? I will come up with a new one soon but loved Benny Hill growing up in the late 70's and 80's. Maybe Stormy Meredith or Bud Hedinger! LOL

I like the avatar, it's different and Anything Benny Hill related is ok with me. Was also laughing at OHX snow day Thursday. I figured it was because of northern part of school district as we are no had 2-4" for most of us, which is a joke for school closings. They must have bought into the KBUF maps, which are good for the Tug but not tight enough with gradient, really stupid stuff.

i thought about chasing this band but opted out.  Was working today and I don't know roads up there well enough. Then, I figured since the band was dumping on a 50 acre tract, it might get crowded.;). Tonight, the band falls apart as it moves south. Tomorrow it will reinvigorate as it moves back north. In the interim, a few hours of snow showers while it waffles around.  

Next Tuesday is a devastating rainmaker that in a few hours washes away the 0.25" liquid equivalent in a 4" snowpack here.  If there is a god, the week 3 and 4 CFS blowtorch materializes and destroys what's left of this goatf*cker of a winter, which ended in mid December for all practical purposes for most of us, and we move on smartly into spring.

8 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I like the avatar, it's different and Anything Benny Hill related is ok with me. Was also laughing at OHX snow day Thursday. I figured it was because of northern part of school district as we are no had 2-4" for most of us, which is a joke for school closings. They must have bought into the KBUF maps, which are good for the Tug but not tight enough with gradient, really stupid stuff.

My wife and kids loved it but was not predicted by me well! Woke up to 1.5" and left to F-M so the other 3.5 must of fallen in the morning which closed them. The Benny Hill clip avatar is when he is playing pool which is pretty funny stuff; considering it was like 35 or more years ago!  Everybody have a great weekend! going to bed soon. FYI Flurries here falling here in Phoenix.

It just continues to refire in Central Oswego County despite the friggin winds veering the the WNW-NW.  This is just getting funnier and funnier as the season wears on.  When I moved here in 2002 we were a snow magnate as the yrs have passed we've become a repellant despite Lake Ontario.  Its just horrible, seriously!  We can't even get a synoptic storm system that stays all snow and I'm not talking about the proverbial 2-3" squirts!  

5 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I have a hard time believing this gets to us, nevermind Syracuse, lol!  Its painfully dropping South but as Brian mentioned, Its weakening as it drops, which is usually the case but one can inly hope, lol.  I like George's 4-7" as I'll be content with the 4", lol!

If this was going to "sweep" off the lake, yes it would completely fall apart as it falls south...however, (and it indeed has weakened from earlier), the Geo. Bay connection is the difference, and IF that can become established for a few hours, the rates would ramp up a good deal, and the surface convergence would tighten...if it is to happen, it will have to do so in the next few hours....there are hints that the NW'rn L. Ontario waters are starting to produce clouds (via IR imagery) which may be an indication that the Geo Bay leftovers are starting to seed the NW'rn part of the lake....

1 hour ago, LakeEffectKing said:

If this was going to "sweep" off the lake, yes it would completely fall apart as it falls south...however, (and it indeed has weakened from earlier), the Geo. Bay connection is the difference, and IF that can become established for a few hours, the rates would ramp up a good deal, and the surface convergence would tighten...if it is to happen, it will have to do so in the next few hours....there are hints that the NW'rn L. Ontario waters are starting to produce clouds (via IR imagery) which may be an indication that the Geo Bay leftovers are starting to seed the NW'rn part of the lake....

I hope you are right, it's coming south and I can buy 2-5" here.  KBUF putting up warnings in Cayuga County looks overdone, as usual, different areas but I'd more believe KBGM going with no warnings and 3-6" inorth of SYR  makes more sense overall. OTOH, the 5 acres of Cayuga county that sees snow...why bother.  Been a lousy winter season overall in CNY, time to end it.

I hope so George as I'm on your side!  Just went outside and was surprised to see flurries in the air with the band so far to my North so that tells me its coming down hard in spots throughout CNY or will be in a couple hrs anyway!  Usually when a band comes South the front end is really tight but this is not the case this time around!  Cant believe I have to pray for a band to drop South for me to see a few inches, lame!  I'll continue to watch this thing.  Also George, I can see the western edge of the radar flaring up so maybe we are in fact seeing some seeding occurring, as there are more greens appearing within the band!

KFZY is getting absolutely crushed right now, and I feel like getting in my whip and heading 6 miles to my North to see this beast as I am certain now this is NOT getting as far South as Liverpool so, like I said earlier, Ill take the sloppy seconds, lol!

Good call though George on the GB connection and I still may be premature with my thinking its not coming South enough to reach me but I remain optimistic.  Its just that, when one of these bands get going and become steady state, like this is going to become I thin, its like trying to move a bulldozer with a pinto so there's my rational on why I don't think this thing gets further South than Great Northern Mall.  South of there, yes we will see snow, but nothing compared to what their going to be experiencing just a few short miles to my North.  It absolutely kills me inside that I know its snowing 2-3"/hr just to my North and I mean just to my North!!

Wolfie must be lovin life right about now but he's sleeping.  He'll be waking up to quite a surprise I think, lol!

I just did some measurements and the average is 6.9 inches. Of course I would have liked more but this makes me happy, considering it fell in about a 6 or 7 hour period. The sky is brilliant blue and very picturesque. If I look north I can see the clouds from the band as it hightails it northward and falls apart. Now it's onto tomorrow's clipper with it's meager offerings. Unfortunately, it looks like the Tuesday-Wednesday storm is going to wipe this snow cover out then onto more lake effect at the end of the week. 

4 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

not even a dusting here, dispicable!  I'm absolutely done with this disastrous Winter season!  It looked so promising in the beginning with 36" in Nov, since then, lol!!  See you guys next Fall, as I am now yearning for Spring.

I feel your pain man.  It hasn't been a total disaster of a winter with some big time lake effect close to home that's "chaseable" and provides opportunities for snowshoeing, skiing, and such.  But as far as IMBY, pretty fugly.  

One thing that stands out to me this winter is the amount of snow that appears to be falling not too far north of Lake Ontario.  That area of southern Ontario and Quebec have been in the sweet spot all winter.  It's like old man winter defined Lake Ontario as the boundary for the haves and have nots this winter.  Quite interesting actually...even when we torch, you don't need to go very far north, like 100 miles, to be sub-freezing.  You can see it on the storm coming up this week.  Torch/rain for us, but drive your boat across L. Ontario then get out and hike for a few hours and you're in business.  We haven't had one of those wound up cutters that keeps driving north, pushes warm air way up into Canada, and leads to some blocking/neg NAO.  Not to mention the cold SW flow that follows these storms which gives BUF/ART good shots of lake effect.  We need a deck shuffler, but time is getting short...

Archived