Including the cities of...Syracuse...Hamilton...Oneida
351 AM EST Thu Feb 9 2017

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
1 PM EST FRIDAY...

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a Lake
Effect Snow Advisory...which is in effect from 10 PM this evening
to 1 PM EST Friday. The Lake Effect Snow Watch is no longer in
effect.

* LOCATIONS...Onondaga... Madison Counties in New York.

* HAZARD TYPES...Heavy snow.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches.

* TIMING...Expect a band of lake effect snow, heavy at times, to
  set up near and to the south the Interstate 90 corridor late
  Thursday evening and persist through Thursday night before
  weakening Friday morning.

* IMPACTS...The heavy snow will make travel very dangerous.
  Roads will become snow covered and slippery. Bitter wind
  chills may produce frostbite with prolonged exposure to the
  cold.

* WINDS...Northwest 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.

* TEMPERATURES...In the teens.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stash said:

Over six inches in two hours already where I am for the day in Guilderland, NY (near the UAlbany campus). Did not expect this kind of band this far NW, though I think the NAM was first to hint at it. Incredible

That's awesome. When I woke up at 530a and checked the radar my eyes went right to the Scranton-albany corridor where that band was situated and figured there had to atleast be some 2"/hr rates in there if not 3". We are at 5.5 down here outside the KBGM site with about another 30-45 mins of steady light snow. Probably going to fall just short of 6.

A solid 1" here N of the KSYR. Rockin it hard.  

I'd say the city of SYR picked up just a bit over my total, maybe 1.5 by calibrated eyeball.

I went w/ NAM/WRF in the ne.wx snowfall contest and took a bit off qpf...tricky cuz some of the banding was shown to set up in between official contest stations...and NWP output is a bit approximate with such features, which matters if you're trying to 4cast for specific sites and not an area...

Raining on Cape Cod.  We'll see how those Blizz Warnings do.  

My buddy in SE CT reporting Thundersnow near Groton/Waterford.

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

We may be on the verge of a epic Feb into March backend winter. Long range is chock full of potential. Looking to tonight I'd say 6 to 12 roc east to about sodus bay with a bullseye from Penfield to marion.

Just wish this weekend's warmup wouldn't happen...would be nice to keep some snow on the ground this winter...

7 minutes ago, tim123 said:

We may be on the verge of a epic Feb into March backend winter. Long range is chock full of potential. Looking to tonight I'd say 6 to 12 roc east to about sodus bay with a bullseye from Penfield to marion.

I'd wager on not an epic feb. below average snow and warmer than average. Where are you seeing this?!?

On 2/5/2017 at 2:20 PM, vortmax said:

I'll take the split...it'll be just in time for a couple of big synoptic opportunities. Lots of teleconnections look good over the next few weeks: +PNA, -AO, -NOA, neutral EPO, and zone 8 MJO. Could be exciting for the end of Feb & early Mar...

Most of the teleconnections argued against the CFS blowtorch over the past week or so...maybe it's starting to come around...

6 minutes ago, vortmax said:

You also stated that is would be warmer than normal. I don't see that happening. Epic? Maybe not, but with normal or below normal temps with lakes as warm as they are, I think we'll see some very decent LE (more than usual in the latter half of the season).

Friday
A chance of flurries before 7am, then a chance of snow showers between 7am and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday
A slight chance of rain and snow showers before 8am, then a slight chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. West wind 11 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday
Rain. High near 47. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Monday
A chance of snow showers before noon, then scattered flurries after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 36.
Wednesday
Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I would wager quite a bit Feb. ends above normal in temps. Most likely +2-3 range. 

Archived