joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton pulls the trigger on Coastal Flood Watches but surprisingly not for most of the north shore.  And like I was thinking, widespread moderate coastal flooding and high winds.

NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-
SOUTHERN NASSAU-

COASTAL FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
MONDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A COASTAL FLOOD
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY
EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...ALONG SOUTHERN AND EASTERN BAYS OF LONG
  ISLAND...AND ALONG THE ATLANTIC OCEAN BEACHES.

* TIDAL DEPARTURES...3 1/2 TO 4 1/2 FT ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL TIDES.

* TIMING...MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING AROUND THE TIMES OF
  ASTRONOMICAL HIGH TIDE...BETWEEN 4 PM AND 9 PM.

* BEACH EROSION IMPACTS...ELEVATED WATER LEVELS IN COMBINATION
  WITH 8 TO 12 FT SURF ARE EXPECTED TO CAUSE WIDESPREAD DUNE
  EROSION AND LOCALIZED OVERWASHES ALONG THE ATLANTIC OCEAN
  BEACHFRONT LATE SUNDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.

* TIDAL IMPACTS...POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD FLOODING OF VULNERABLE
  SHORE ROADS AND/OR ADJACENT PROPERTIES DUE TO HEIGHT OF STORM
  TIDE AND/OR WAVE ACTION. NUMEROUS ROAD CLOSURES MAY BE NEEDED.
  ISOLATED STRUCTURAL DAMAGE MAY BE OBSERVED ALONG THE IMMEDIATE
  SHORELINE.

28 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Wouldn't pay attention to the map per say but more of the dynamics it's displaying 

we all know what happens when dynamics come in to play. the coldest air will rush down from the 500 and 700 mb levels,cooling the 850's in turn cooling the surface. explains why there is so much sleet even in n.y.c itself. if this can correct itself to the east by about 50 to 75 miles then were really in the game for a ice fest even here in the city. the flow won't be screaming off the ocean either effectively shutting off the torch with a nne flow. interesting to track a diff looking type of system though.B)

6 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

we all know what happens when dynamics come in to play. the coldest air will rush down from the 500 and 700 mb levels,cooling the 850's in turn cooling the surface. explains why there is so much sleet even in n.y.c itself. if this can correct itself to the east by about 50 to 75 miles then were really in the game for a ice fest even here in the city. the flow won't be screaming off the ocean either effectively shutting off the torch. interesting to track a diff looking type of system though.B)

If this corrects 50-75 miles east it's still rain.

There's so much talk about sleet when the high winds and coastal flooding are the big stories.  Like Bluewave said the coast really lucked out as this could have been so much worse. 

If the winds are east for much of MON not good      

E winds 35 to 45 kt with gusts up to 60 kt. Seas 13 to 18 ft...building to 16 to 21                                                                                                                                     We'll see how the new jettys work in point lookout tuesday

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I noticed a pretty steep dropoff in the tree damage north of the Southern State from that storm. The really strong winds were pretty localized to the shore areas, where they were able to mix down. Outside of there it was a fairly pedestrian event, I remember it being very rainy, like 3-4" of rain which worsened the tree/power line damage too. In Long Beach it was ferocious for several hours, we easily had 70-75 mph+ gusts and many trees down with property damage all over. A section of town had no power for a week. We were very fortunate it didn't coincide with high tides. 

I lived in Jamaica at that time, about a mile north of JFK. I couldn't walk down the street at one point during the height of the storm. Trees weren't only uprooted, many were literally blown into pieces, like they were hit with a grenade. I'd never seen such destruction prior to that storm. The damage wasn't nearly as bad further north near my school in Flushing, but many of those trees were obliterated the following year during that macroburst/tornado.

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

If this corrects 50-75 miles east it's still rain.

There's so much talk about sleet when the high winds and coastal flooding are the big stories.  Like Bluewave said the coast really lucked out as this could have been so much worse. 

Do you have any idea how a few inches of sleet can shut down everything from the Bronx and Orange Cty and north?  We actually have these things called hills and stuff up here and they become 100% impassable after 1/2" of the stuff.  There are several million people that will be affected through the LHV if we get a few inches of sleet.  All of us have overhead power lines and many of us depend on electricity for things like heat (I use oil but have fan forced hot air) and for our well pumps to run.  It sucks when you're cold and can't even take a dump or leave home to do it somewhere else.

32 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

I will share my icy balls with all. 

No pics please.

Just now, gravitylover said:

Do you have any idea how a few inches of sleet can shut down everything from the Bronx and Orange Cty and north?  We actually have these things called hills and stuff up here and they become 100% impassable after 1/2" of the stuff.  There are several million people that will be affected through the LHV if we get a few inches of sleet.  All of us have overhead power lines and many of us depend on electricity for things like heat (I use oil but have fan forced hot air) and for our well pumps to run.  It sucks when you're cold and can't even take a dump or leave home to do it somewhere else.

No pics please.

I never said it was no big deal for NW posters. I just said it wasnt the biggest story with this storm.  

Are you talking about sleet affecting your power or the wind?

Sleet and the accompanying frzr that's inevitable bringing down power lines and causing people, that shouldn't be out driving, to drive into power line poles.  I live towards the top of a hill on a general ESE aspect so we do see a fair amount of wind in storms like this doubling down on the potential catastrophe.

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

I never said it was no big deal for NW posters. I just said it wasnt the biggest story with this storm.  

12 minutes ago, Rjay said:

3-6" of sleet would be potentially extremely dangerous with high wind... however I would still agree the coast is the bigger story potentially 

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Sleet and the accompanying frzr that's inevitable bringing down power lines and causing people, that shouldn't be out driving, to drive into power line poles.  I live towards the top of a hill on a general ESE aspect so we do see a fair amount of wind in storms like this doubling down on the potential catastrophe.

I don't think freezing rain will be much of a factor with this storm though the NAM says I'm wrong.   Temps should hover around or above freezing which should hopefully somewhat minimize the dangerous travel conditions during the storm.  I still wouldn't want to be traveling in a driving rain/sleet storm with up to 50 mph winds.  Conditions in your area will def be nothing to sneeze at.

1 minute ago, ForestHillWx said:

Understood, but the cold pool modeled is anchored by a hp too far north east to lock out the warm push that is going to come. The flow off the ocean won't help and the moisture transport should keep the temps above the threshold needed for frozen precip. 

Yep. I think the majority of the precip is rain for everyone but I wouldn't rule out sleet for some of our NW posters.  The NAM says I'm dead wrong. 

40 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

When was the last storm to drop 1-2" of sleet in this area, let alone 3-6. Nothing to worry about yet, imho. 

The 93 super storm is the only one I remember. I lived in New Windsor at the time and we had 18 inches of snow followed by a solid 3-4 inches of sleet. No snow blower at the time so shoveling was unbelievably heavy. Removing the top layer of sleet was worse than the 18 inches of snow underneath.

17 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The 93 super storm is the only one I remember. I lived in New Windsor at the time and we had 18 inches of snow followed by a solid 3-4 inches of sleet. No snow blower at the time so shoveling was unbelievably heavy. Removing the top layer of sleet was worse than the 18 inches of snow underneath.

We had 2 mostly sleet events in 2007. The VD storm and then one in March with 5" of sleet. I believe to the north they were good snowstorms

Archived