Newest Member
    joxey
1.7.17 Snow Event

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

wow... mt holly going Gung-ho for coastal NJ already I see. 

Good for them!  They must be on the 1980s style coastal-scrapes of my youth bandwagon.  There were several when i lived in Morris Co, NJ back then that really drove me crazy seeing the immediate coast get hammered and we sucked cirrus.

Very cold snow tomorrow at least 15:1 ratios whatever falls. Ukie gives Philly 4"+ and 2" N&W areas of this region

Nice to get some support with the NAM faltering, the German agrees 

Fwiw (which isn't much), the hrrr has a really ominous looking precip shield coming N and on our doorstep at the end of it's range.

a69b528092ca6a3b9babcbeef06c2a4e.jpg

If that HRRR precip shield even comes close to verifying I'd be surprised.  Best bet you take that picture, draw a line along the mason dixon line until you get to Pa/Delaware border.  Draw a straight line from there to Long island.  No precip makes it north of that line (past LI it will creep north into easter MA and ME), probably not even virga or radar hallucinations even.

I'd be glad to be wrong, but I think the storm tracks too far east to eat away at the dry air being locked in by that PV lobe about to kick everything out.  

It's nuts..

Euro coming in good.

Never thought we would ever be praising the Euro for showing 2".

On a serious note, I still think this has high bust potential on either side. Models are having fits with convective activity. There are now squall lines in the GOMex that weren't progged 12-18 hours ago as well as tstorm clusters just off the coast which models are starting to key on. These little nuances can alter the wave track just enough at the last minute to cause rather significant shifts in snowfall amounts for better or for worse. These cluster can rob moisture to the NW BUT can also cause enough of a weakness that the actual slp center tracks along those boundaries much nearer the coast. Not saying anything historic will happen, just nothing that I really don't think this will be nailed down until the event is unfolding and I am betting some spots will see a surprise or 2 along the way. Just my $.02

2 minutes ago, snowwors2 said:

Well...there's always his "OK, so I'm not kidding, this really, really is my last and final call map" :whistle:

I hear what you're saying (thinking of his past "final" maps) but he may have nailed this "final" map. I hope not since it doesn't look like much for us.

2 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Yeah I think we are on the outside looking in with this one, 

Funny, every storm so far this year has gone north of us with us on the line and now this one is going to the south of us with us on the line again.

Archived