Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I came in with 9, rates were not great . Melted down precip was .73 . That's only 12-1. Really only had 1-2 hrs of great snow 

Yeah, the slight difference could be due to the wind.  Honestly, I slept through a lot of the good rates lol.

Btw, your 9 in. measuerement made it to Channel 7 with Lee Goldberg.

14 minutes ago, Squid1225 said:

Just noticed the 00Z NAM tries to develop a little costal low as it hits the coast... enhances precipitation for City on northward into our area...just something interesting to keep an eye on with the mesoscale models tomorrow afternoon.

Anything the NAM says now take heed. It nailed this last storm in its so called long range right down to the dual bands of heaviest snow over the HV and LI. It should henceforth be titled the King NAM. Here's to hoping it's on to something once again. All hail the KING.

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Anything the NAM says now take heed. It nailed this last storm in its so called long range right down to the dual bands of heaviest snow over the HV and LI. It should henceforth be titled the King NAM. Here's to hoping it's on to something once again. All hail the KING.

Absolutely! It also nailed that sleet storm two weeks ago in its "long range"

47 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

New Windsor LHV  FTW... official measurement was 13.2....a tad low from reports I saw but highest amount for LHV... north of 84 some saw 16

Nope, Highland  Mills FTW, trained spotter in Highland Mills reported 13.5 to the NWS, I recorded 14 but elevation runs from 500-900 feet in the town so the 1/2 inch difference negligible.

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

New Windsor LHV  FTW... official measurement was 13.2....a tad low from reports I saw but highest amount for LHV... north of 84 some saw 16

That was my measurement. My elevation is 125', that could have made the difference. Out by rock tavern they got a bit more and usually do with the higher elevation in most events.

40 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm south of 84 and both of those maps you posted in the other thread have me between 3-5 inches.  There are people living east of the river too ya know ;)  I have a feeling it won't be much over 2" but after the recent performance I'm hesitant to think that the NAM is too bullish.

We should just secede from the HV and declare ourselves part of New England

There was a 'nice' frozen slush ice pack on the right side of the driving lane and shoulders of main roads, and covering some side streets altogether, around here this morning.  Now if you can picture that about twice as think and covering all roads for about five days or so straight you'll have an idea of what it was like when I refer to the flash freeze back in January '94.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

There was a 'nice' frozen slush ice pack on the right side of the driving lane and shoulders of main roads, and covering some side streets altogether, around here this morning.  Now if you can picture that about twice as think and covering all roads for about five days or so straight you'll have an idea of what it was like when I refer to the flash freeze back in January '94.

Boy do I remember that! Commuting nightmare. Towns ran out of salt. Rt94 & Rt32 was like a washboard of ice. 

3 minutes ago, xram said:

Boy do I remember that! Commuting nightmare. Towns ran out of salt. Rt94 & Rt32 was like a washboard of ice. 

Yep, plus it was so cold that salt was no longer effective.  I doubt we ever see anything like that again with all of the various chemicals they use now along with the salt. 

10 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Atleast your not constantly called "upstate" or the " Catskills" lol

people try and say I'm buy the Catskills all the time on here... literally not even close

Ask anybody from the city and they'll tell you that Westchester is upstate.  For over 10 years I managed one of the biggest bike shops in the city and people couldn't believe that I would commute "all the way down there" like this is the other side of the planet or something.  As far as they were concerned if rocks stick out of the ground it's the mountains, they'd talk about the Palisades and say that the people that live at the top were in the mountains. SMH...

Archived