Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

2 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Interesting, maybe we will get in on some frozen precip then.  Here's a snippet of our WWA Text.

0znam has us below 32 almost the entire event , a 6 hr period of almost all snow all levels below 32 except one at .03 above . So close to a snow event 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

So a few things to look at for snow growth tomorrow. This NAM sounding shows reasonably strong lift and a nicely saturated column up to around 450 mb... the brunt of the negative omega intersects the DGZ, but it's a narrow layer, maybe 50 mb deep. There will be dendrites growing but you can also see how deep the vertical ascent is, extending through the bottom 5km of the atmosphere, most of which will be warmer than -10C. This means that other flake habits will be growing in addition to dendrites, likely needles and columns. Lift through a 0 to -10C layer also means there will be a copious supply of supercooled water droplets floating around, which will then stick to the descending flakes as rime. Given that this layer is something like 3 km deep, significant riming is a good bet.

That said, aggregation is favored near the freezing mark, so places where the column approaches 0C will be where snowflakes are clumping together. (As a side note, it's usually ok if your sounding creeps above freezing just a little... elevated warm layer temperature and depth have an almost proportional relationship, so a warm tongue up to +1C will very rarely be deep enough to melt snowflakes.) Needles in particular like to interlock, raising ratios in the process. That's part of why people speak fondly of isothermal snowfalls. One additional factor is that winds in the low levels will be relatively strong, which can mechanically shatter the more delicate flakes and lead to denser snow.

FXpEE4W.png

Excellent write up.  We could see all graupel here tomorrow. 

46 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

So a few things to look at for snow growth tomorrow. This NAM sounding shows reasonably strong lift and a nicely saturated column up to around 450 mb... the brunt of the negative omega intersects the DGZ, but it's a narrow layer, maybe 50 mb deep. There will be dendrites growing but you can also see how deep the vertical ascent is, extending through the bottom 5km of the atmosphere, most of which will be warmer than -10C. This means that other flake habits will be growing in addition to dendrites, likely needles and columns. Lift through a 0 to -10C layer also means there will be a copious supply of supercooled water droplets floating around, which will then stick to the descending flakes as rime. Given that this layer is something like 3 km deep, significant riming is a good bet.

That said, aggregation is favored near the freezing mark, so places where the column approaches 0C will be where snowflakes are clumping together. (As a side note, it's usually ok if your sounding creeps above freezing just a little... elevated warm layer temperature and depth have an almost proportional relationship, so a warm tongue up to +1C will very rarely be deep enough to melt snowflakes.) Needles in particular like to interlock, raising ratios in the process. That's part of why people speak fondly of isothermal snowfalls. One additional factor is that winds in the low levels will be relatively strong, which can mechanically shatter the more delicate flakes and lead to denser snow.

FXpEE4W.png

Down to 35.4f here.  Here's to hoping for positive surprise.

thanks.  That's great.

1 hour ago, nesussxwx said:

850mb temperatures

image.jpg

925mb temperatures

image.jpg

We want both of these temperatures to be below freezing in order for it to snow if I am not mistaken.

critical thickness (0c line is very important)

image.jpg

So far, some in the forum have already met the criteria. Will be watching these maps closely as the night progresses.

According to those I'm there, the third one is borderline but it shows exactly what I was talking about earlier with the dip/twist down the east side of the crest.  Surface is at 34 here though but it won't take more than a few flakes to bring the cold down.

51 minutes ago, Animal said:

Photo from the Thursday storm.

Someone in this portal will be doing this tomorrow night.

thursdayfebstorm.jpg

Not me man, old skool here.  Shovel FTW :) I still can't convince myself to drop $1k on a blower.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

According to those I'm there, the third one is borderline but it shows exactly what I was talking about earlier with the dip/twist down the east side of the crest.  Surface is at 34 here though but it won't take more than a few flakes to bring the cold down.

Not me man, old skool here.  Shovel FTW :) I still can't convince myself to drop $1k on a blower.

Ur insane....I have a 100'x20' driveway... I'd literally die

Mine isn't huge sq footage @ 80x8 and ~ 15 for the lower 30 feet, it's the house on one side and stone wall on the other that make it a pita.  Towards the door it opens up a bit but is bordered by a hill and 4' wall on the uphill side.  All of the snow has to be either lifted or pushed and lifted and like most of us the plow pile has to be pulled back and lifted.  It keeps me outside during storms and it's one of the few lifting exercises I do, I'm allergic to gyms :o.  Heheh you should've seen me 24 years ago in Tahoe out there with a shovel for 15 hours at a time :) 

Hey, how's your ankle injury coming along?

26 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I bought this beast for around $770 delivered.

called home depot and they took off $100 off the price if my memory is correct.

I get too much snow typically to shovel.:)

A friend of mine has a nice two stage machine and of course a few days before the last storm he managed to break the chute disabling the thing.  He doesn't have a shovel anymore so he couldn't get out of the driveway for two days until he was able to convince a neighborhood kid to blow a strip for him.  I watch my neighbors argue with theirs sometimes and I  just can't picture myself going through it.  Shovels always work, it's frustrating sometimes and exhausting always but my inner masochist digs it (pun intended ;) ).

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

A friend of mine has a nice two stage machine and of course a few days before the last storm he managed to break the chute disabling the thing.  He doesn't have a shovel anymore so he couldn't get out of the driveway for two days until he was able to convince a neighborhood kid to blow a strip for him.  I watch my neighbors argue with theirs sometimes and I  just can't picture myself going through it.  Shovels always work, it's frustrating sometimes and exhausting always but my inner masochist digs it (pun intended ;) ).

How did he not have a shovel at all?  He snowblows 2"of snow?  I never understood that, you see guys snowblowing a small amount of snow that appears would be quicker to just shovel. 

50 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

6z runs warmed a bit aloft , now def looking like a lot of sleet and  zr

Yup....still early in the event...but looking like epic failures for the euro and short range models printing out 6 plus in my area.

freezing rain currently on my street.

it looks as if I did get a trace of snow or snow grains when it started.

25*, all snow SN/SN+, E wind but very light.  Gonna be some nice snowbanks in the driveway by the time this is over.  

Yeah Rob I never understood the 1" blowers either but they're out there.  He has a shovel now though because his new chute won't be in until Tuesday so he had to get one yesterday.  I mean, how can you have a teenage son and no shovel :) 

Archived