Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It's insane... if you watch the radar loop, the bands haven't moved a mile and are stronger 

The Hudson Valley is creating its own snow via a strong surface convergence zone, pretty cool. Should keep snowing for a couple more hours until the flow gets too much of a westerly component and the valley can't channel it south anymore.

AaTFfIM.gif

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The Hudson Valley is creating its own snow via a strong surface convergence zone, pretty cool. Should keep snowing for a couple more hours until the flow gets too much of a westerly component and the valley can't channel it south anymore.

AaTFfIM.gif

Dude, I am extremely impressed with your weather knowledge.  You sound like a pro met!

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Dendrites falling even though the forcing is basically confined to the surface... really goes to show how cold the low levels have gotten since the rime fest early this morning

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Dendrites falling even though the forcing is basically confined to the surface... really goes to show how cold the low levels have gotten since the rime fest early this morning

Ya it's ripping here again in westchester. Not far off from heaviest of storm. Only thing is, we had about 20 mins where the sun peaked thru and the roads got down to wet pavement. Looks like April outside. Pouring snow but main roads just wet and trees, driveways and snow piles rapidly accumulating 

21 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

AaTFfIM.gif

I hope you're right, because I'm not where I want to be for totals in croton.

8 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I hope you're right, because I'm not where I want to be for totals in croton.

What are you at total in croton? I'm in Yorktown, nearing 9 inches. Thought there would be more south. Saw white plains reporting over a foot and tarrytown nearing 11. Radar pretty good over westchester right now 

3 minutes ago, Heavy Wet Snow said:

What are you at total in croton? I'm in Yorktown, nearing 9 inches. Thought there would be more south. Saw white plains reporting over a foot and tarrytown nearing 11. Radar pretty good over westchester right now 

Just measured 9" on the nose.  Coming down harder now.  I'm at the croton cortlandt manor border, so not much south Yorktown.

Man it's cold out. Wind chill probably approaching zero at times.

Something I didn't think about is that there was a slushy layer underneath all the powder from warm pavement temps, and as I cleared it, the slush just flash froze into a sheet of ice. I live on a steep hill so my driveway is pretty much out of commission until the sun hopefully helps things tomorrow.

Yep that lower warm layer sucked to shovel up and then froze solid after the insulating layer was removed.  I just used a bunch of sand to cover it, hopefully Julian is right and the sun does some damage to it tomorrow.

I measured in a dozen spots and came up within an inch either side of 12 in most of them.  Strangely enough car tops were less but that was probably due to the wind.  Calling it at 12" final after an hour of settling after last flake fell.  I expect it should have been more like 14" but the warm ground melted/compacted a fair bit from underneath.

Archived