joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrisburg probably won't change over till 3 am or so. What happens between 3am - 7am makes or breaks the storm. The longer past 3 it takes to change over the more significant change the total will be lower that is one the best dynamics are around. I could easily see Harrisburg receiving 5-8" measures on a board officially, but only 3-4" on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, heavy_wx said:

We have a dusting here with small snow particles falling. We'll have to wait until we get into the stronger mid-level forcing and lift in the dendritic growth zone to see larger aggregates and better accumulation.

Yea I'm anxiously awaiting the stuff that is over western PA and Pittsburgh metro, they're getting hit pretty hard right now. 

Steady light snow down here with a coating. Temp down to about 32-33ºF

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea I'm anxiously awaiting the stuff that is over western PA and Pittsburgh metro, they're getting hit pretty hard right now. 

Rain has just arrived here. Temp is still at 44, my dew just rose from 36 to 38 with the onset of the precip.

10 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

just saw a 3" report from Irwin

20170209_04:29_1.9.png

There's a pretty noticeable dendritic growth signature in the dual-pol variables from KCCX. You can see the enhanced KDP and ZDR to the northwest of the radar, indicating a large number of wide, thin plate-like crystals. The positioning of the KDP maximum near the heaviest reflectivity band makes sense given the more favorable lift within the band.

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Temp went up a degree when light rain began, now 45. DP is 35.

Changeover should occur once the area of heavy precip arrives in the Sus Valley later on, latest HRRR (02z) has the changeover moving through H-burg between 7-8z (2-3am). Also noticing the edge of the good accumulations is starting to erode into the border counties a bit kind of like the GFS. That was a region I had been a bit worried about with p-type/prolonged changeover previously. Still think the border region north of the Mason-Dixon does alright.. although the possibility of accums being knocked down to a 2-4" type deal vs a warning event is certainly possible. The evening trend hasn't been northern MD's friend though, I thought they would also do okay with this storm above the I-70 corridor but I'm not so sure now. 

acsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

27 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Legit 2"/hr rates just passed through here south of downtown Pgh.

That area between DuBois and Altoona should be getting hit soon.

just got this:

Special Weather Statement
Weather Updated: Feb 09 12:04AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 2AM EST THU ...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DEVELOPING WITH SNOWFALL RATES 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED THROUGH 2AM EST... A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL MOVE EAST ACROSS THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS INTO THE SOUTH-CENTRAL ALLEGHENIES THROUGH 2 AM. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 INCH PER HOUR ARE LIKELY WITH LOCALIZED RATES OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE.

4 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

just got this:

Special Weather Statement
Weather Updated: Feb 09 12:04AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 2AM EST THU ...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DEVELOPING WITH SNOWFALL RATES 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED THROUGH 2AM EST... A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL MOVE EAST ACROSS THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS INTO THE SOUTH-CENTRAL ALLEGHENIES THROUGH 2 AM. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 INCH PER HOUR ARE LIKELY WITH LOCALIZED RATES OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE.

The best of it looks like it's headed right towards you... there's also this headline too:

.NOW...
BANDS OF SNOW...SOME HEAVY...WILL FALL OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE
REGION. TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO FALL OVERNIGHT...AND
THE COMBINATION OF THE RATE OF SNOWFALL AND FALLING TEMPERATURES
WILL LIKELY RESULT IN POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS BY THE MORNING
COMMUTE. PERSONS TRAVELING OVERNIGHT SHOULD ALLOW EXTRA TRAVEL
TIME AND USE CAUTION. A RUMBLE OF THUNDER WILL BE POSSIBLE AT
TIMES.

22 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

The best of it looks like it's headed right towards you... there's also this headline too:

.NOW...
BANDS OF SNOW...SOME HEAVY...WILL FALL OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE
REGION. TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO FALL OVERNIGHT...AND
THE COMBINATION OF THE RATE OF SNOWFALL AND FALLING TEMPERATURES
WILL LIKELY RESULT IN POOR TRAVEL CONDITIONS BY THE MORNING
COMMUTE. PERSONS TRAVELING OVERNIGHT SHOULD ALLOW EXTRA TRAVEL
TIME AND USE CAUTION. A RUMBLE OF THUNDER WILL BE POSSIBLE AT
TIMES.

2.5" and its pouring snow..

temp: 29

Archived