Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I'm probably right around 12" right now.

Updated ALY map now shows 24-30" here in the valley and 30-36" higher up. I think "Aint happing James" applies here. Its going to have to dump on the backside to get to those totals.

How long is supposed to continue to snow for you?  I can see another 12 hrs here at an overall rate (more in the first 6 hours, less in the last 6 hours) of an inch/hr, and that would give my area 23 inches.

6 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

How long is supposed to continue to snow for you?  I can see another 12 hrs here at an overall rate (more in the first 6 hours, less in the last 6 hours) of an inch/hr, and that would give my area 23 inches.

According to the 4K nam..about another 24hrs:)

But, your right, I guess I will let the storm totally play out before jumping on ALY.  But my thinking here is in the 15-18" range final, which is still a damn impressive March storm.

22 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I'm probably right around 12" right now.

Updated ALY map now shows 24-30" here in the valley and 30-36" higher up. I think "Aint happing James" applies here. Its going to have to dump on the backside to get to those totals.

I think from Manchester to Rutland will be jackpot city. 

7" in south end BTV. Wind off the lake is rugged. Currently drinking italian red. Felt this was relevant. 

I did a 4:00 P.M. check on the snowboard, and there was 9.5” of snow on it.  So, that means there was roughly 7 to 8 inches of accumulation in the 2:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. time period.  The 12-inch gauge on the camera board was just about topped off, so I tilted the cam to put the 30-inch gauge into view.

14MAR17D.jpg

14MAR17E.jpg

Our NWS point forecast called for snow accumulations in roughly the 8 to 12-inch range during the day today, so with 11.5” thus far, that forecast was certainly reached.  The forecast actually calls for another 8 to 12 inches tonight, so we’ll see how that goes.

Was out at Killington skiing today and it went nuclear at about 11am. We skiied until about 2:30 then started home...total white-out conditions and already probably 8-10" down. A few cars in ditches/definitely difficult driving conditions due to the winds/whiteouts. A number of cars in the Killington parking lot were having difficulty getting out

The last few runs you could really experience the lightness of this snow and how deep some the drifts were. Tomorrow should be amazing! :)

24 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

When collection intervals are running at six-hours, it’s not typical to get very notable stacks on the snowboards here, but this afternoon was the exception:

14MAR17F.jpg

Amazing lack of wind there.  My snowboard never had more than a dusting on it.

Windy events suck for measuring purposes.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Easterly flow and you were on the western slopes... its been very calm here on the east side today.

You were likely downslope mixing to some degree.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Champlain Valley is going to jackpot.

Congrats Eyewall, you guys got the pivot zone.

Plattsburgh probably will take the win.

March14h_zpshvphlhlm.gif

It could stop now and I would be happy but yeah we got blasted:

17240361_10104142792462609_2600773379816

Event totals: 12.0” Snow/0.94” L.E.

Snow accumulation was right on at 10.0 inches in the 12:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. period, and we’re back to the tiny flakes like those that were coming down during the midday period before the afternoon’s intense dendritic episodes.  However, even with some dense snow in portions of this most recent stack, the snow density came down and the overall ratio is in the 14 or 15 to 1 range.  The forecast calls for roughly another 12 to 18 inches of snow through Thursday night, so we’ll see how it plays out.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 10.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.69 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.5

Snow Density: 6.9% H2O

Temperature: 23.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.0 inches

55 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, excessive wind really can be prohibitive with respect to reliable snowfall measurement.  I’m appreciative of our sheltered area every time I’m out there measuring and getting cores, especially since I can avoid having to deal with multiple snowboards most of the time.

23 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Went out around 4:30 to snowblow and measured 11". Winds are starting to pick up. Still snowing decently but the wind is shredding any flakes. Is that a dryslot in the CT River Valley or typically poor radar coverage?

Me and you and even JSpin got into the dryslot (god what a terrible English sentence that is) but it's a mid-level dry slot with low level precipitation still being generated.  Thus the really small flakes.  It's now kicking northeast. The switch to small flakes wasn't a function of the wind but because of some mid level drying.  

We could and should go back to some better flakes as the whole things slides northeast.  

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Me and you and even JSpin got into the dryslot (god what a terrible English sentence that is) but it's a mid-level dry slot with low level precipitation still being generated.  Thus the really small flakes.  It's now kicking northeast. The switch to small flakes wasn't a function of the wind but because of some mid level drying.  

We could and should go back to some better flakes as the whole things slides northeast.  

Ah, that makes sense. Wind really picking up here right now and the snow, even though the flakes are small, seems to be accumulating. 

Archived