Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

GFS and Euro both looking more wintry for the Sunday night Monday system.  Hope that trend continues.

Yeah the clipper might be real nice for you too...SVT tends to do well in those climo speaking. 

Sunday/Monday definitely looks like the next widespread NNE winter weather.

Radar bloomed pretty fast in the last few hours. Looks like light snow is falling further north than modeled right now. Snowing right now in BTV. About a dusting so far. 

00z models don't show much for north of 89...but we'll see. I could see 1-2" pretty easily based on the radar. 

Radar bloomed pretty fast in the last few hours. Looks like light snow is falling further north than modeled right now. Snowing right now in BTV. About a dusting so far. 

00z models don't show much for north of 89...but we'll see. I could see 1-2" pretty easily based on the radar. 

Yeah it is fine powder in the air. Not sure how long it will hold on.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.04” L.E.

It looks like this current system is called Winter Storm Niko, and thus far the snowfall has been comprised of small lakes producing a very synoptic-style density of 10% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 18.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

Just now, powderfreak said:

No idea...Jay Peak reported 2-3" between 4:30-6:30am which I'm not sure I understand either from the radar and set-up but maybe something funky was going on from Whiteface to Jay.

Before I went to bed there was a plume on radar that dropped south out of the SLV. I am guessing that was it. Anyway this is impressive for being on the very fringe this morning here. 

34 minutes ago, mreaves said:

They hired the snow reporter from Jay Peak. :lol:

I do love looking at the Ski Vermont lists of snowfall... the highest overnight total in the state was Jay Peak with 3".  From a storm that is coming up from the south.  Okemo, Killington, Stratton all with 2" or something.

It follows the trend of tapering as you head north from and then jumps back up at Jay Peak.

I don't doubt the snow report.  Picked up light snow coming over sheffield heights last night coming from lyndonville.  Weird as hell as the moon light was still noticeable and the pixie dust was flying, couldn't see the house lights in the valley at the house though so something was hanging up on the Mtn.  Woke up to 1" here so 3" seems probable up a little higher. 

Snowing....  again:)  we have 8"+ since Sunday, less of a bonus is the the useless crust, not enough to support, to thick to steer ski tips through. 

22 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Snow started around daybreak with a heavy band.  That moved SE and seems to have stalled just SE of me.  Now just very light snow, crap snowgrowth.  So close yet so far...Urrgghhh...   

I'm just NW of that same band. VIS has been pretty low the whole time, but snow growth pretty poor.  Eyeballing around 6"

Sunday night into Monday..one to watch.  Think your in a good spot for that one as or right now.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

No idea...Jay Peak reported 2-3" between 4:30-6:30am which I'm not sure I understand either from the radar and set-up but maybe something funky was going on from Whiteface to Jay.

report from the mountain of 6 inches of heavy wet snow??? that makes even less sense....

15 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

How do you measure new snow depth when it keeps blowing off the board?  I have two spots that i measure and clear, and both spots have no snow on them even though it's been snowing lightly for the past three hours?

Yea, I hate wind for just that reason.

No real wind here at all which makes measuring pretty easy.

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I hate wind for just that reason.

No real wind here at all which makes measuring pretty easy.

It's a light breeze here, no more than 10 mph, but the snow is so light that it just keeps on moving.  There's probably 2 inches fresh inches since 7 am, but the both boards are clean.  Perhaps I should put some very coarse sandpaper on a board, or use rough cut lumber on a third board, just for these circumstances.

19 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Accumulation efficiency has been low and there has been some blowing snow but none the less there have been some good vis reductions from time to time. I am estimating somewhere close to 2 inches here. 

I was actually surprised this morning when I saw that our point forecast had 2 to 4 inches in it, but it looks like we’ve already had a bit more than 2 from this storm so we’ll probably be right in that forecast window:

Today

Snow, mainly before 1pm. High near 15. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind 7 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

This storm seems to have a precipitation shield penetrating farther north than many of the “off the coast” types we’ve seen recently.

I was actually surprised this morning when I saw that our point forecast had 2 to 4 inches in it, but it looks like we’ve already had a bit more than 2 from this storm so we’ll probably be right in that forecast window:

Today

Snow, mainly before 1pm. High near 15. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind 7 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

This storm seems to have a precipitation shield penetrating farther north than many of the “off the coast” types we’ve seen recently.

Yeah it is just about to end here it looks like.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

It's a light breeze here, no more than 10 mph, but the snow is so light that it just keeps on moving.  There's probably 2 inches fresh inches since 7 am, but the both boards are clean.  Perhaps I should put some very coarse sandpaper on a board, or use rough cut lumber on a third board, just for these circumstances.

It can be tough at the start of an event if there’s a lot of wind and dry snow.  Once some initial snow does stick, it can serve as a seed for the rest, but getting to that point can be a challenge.  I’d walk around your property during/after this event and find if any locations are getting reasonably non-drifted accumulations.  It sounds like you’ve already got multiple boards, so if you can start finding spots that will work for various wind directions etc. you can try to get an assortment going in which you’ll be likely to have at least one reliable board for various types of events.  Even if some of your spots end up being undesirably close to other objects/structures, they still might be a better representation of the actual accumulation vs. excessively wind-prone areas.

Archived